welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1689, 1690, 1691 ... 1717, 1718, 1719  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Him

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimming 1000 m once a week is finally starting to pay off. Hell give it another 3 months I might not just be losing that belly fat but actually starting to get some proper toning going.
In other news I've also seriously cut down on my smoking, from a pack a day to pretty much 2 packs, or less, a week. It feels good.

Been getting straight A's on every single homework for my English course too. I think things are finally looking up a bit.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my HST/Environmental Tax rebate in the mail the other day.

Of course I immediately went down to the pub with a friend and spent half of it.
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boyfriend is planning to go as Steve Urkel for Halloween and I may actually die of cuteness overload.
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the local news today with my co-worker for an interview, and I wasn't really very nervous. Smile It was a fun morning.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Boyfriend is planning to go as Steve Urkel for Halloween and I may actually die of cuteness overload.

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA... so awkward date man turned into a boyfriend? Right on!
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KIND OF? It's a long story!?

Nothing actually changed in how we interact with each other but his mom tried to add me on facebook and I freaked out and I guess he was under the impression our stumbling attempt at understanding each other landed in "boyfriend/girlfriend" territory and I was under the impression it was just "no really I get that you mean this in a romantical sense and we aren't just bros".

Anyway when I asked him about it we settled on boyfriend/girlfriend but definitely keeping the pace glacial which he seriously took to heart because I'm pretty sure he's afraid to touch me.

Mostly I'm just not willing to question it because I'm kind of okay with how things are and unless he has a problem with it, it can just stay this way for now.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the important thing is that you're enjoying it. Even if you sound a little terrified of the whole thing.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're doing that thing that makes people spill their souls to you.

I just deleted like three paragraphs after telling myself "THIS FORUM IS PUBLIC STOP"
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time someone says that I think about "On A Pale Horse," where a man kills death and assumes his office. He describes people's souls as "festoons of transient film, like the substance of a soap bubble." Of course, he's pulling them out of people, and I try not to do that so much.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an e-mail this morning that I would be training my replacement in the Labor and Delivery department tomorrow, so that was pretty sweet. The last time I talked to my boss had me feeling pretty bleak about whether or not the spot was filled. This should hopefully be my last shift! Then, on Wednesday I "interview" in a different department to see if it's a position I want and will be a good fit for.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
*Whips out handy dandy turk proselytization pamphlets*

Since I've been doing it for about 10 days now, I am totes qualified to educate all interested parties on Mechanical Turk. So read on and then go become rich (AKA maybe earn a few bucks.)

You can sign up at www.mturk.com
I signed up sometime last year, so I don't quite remember the process - but I'm pretty sure that you just use your amazon account for it.

Once you are signed up, you can look for HITs, which are the jobs. (I don't know what HIT stands for, and I don't really care.) You can look for ones that you are currently qualified, and you can sort them (by how many there are, how much they are worth, etc.)

There are some metrics you are measured by. The two that are important are your approved rating and the number of HITs you've submitted that have been accepted. A guy named Oscar Smith (The Ebenezer Scrooge of Mturk) is literally the only person who cares about your 'returned' rate (The number of jobs you return because you discover after accepting them that you can't or don't want to do the job.)

Because the approval ratings are so important, you'll want to take care not to screw it up. An easy way to screw it up is doing a bunch of jobs for someone you haven't done any for before. So before you do any HITs for someone you don't know, check them out on Turkopticon.

http://turkopticon.differenceengines.com

This is a site that allows Turk workers to review requesters. If they don't show up there or if you still think they're worth a shot, try doing one or two of their HITs. That way if the HITs are rejected, your rating won't suffer too much.

Qualifications:

A lot of requesters want a certain number of HITs accepted and/or a certain quality rating before they'll let you work on their stuff. Most of the good HITs want 90%, and the really good ones often want you to have a 'masters qualification', meaning you've done 1,000 or more HITs. An easy way to help improve both scores is to take some of the easier, quicker, lower paying jobs. If it takes a couple seconds and you can't screw it up, and you trust the requester, then great!

Some things require you to request qualification. Audio transcription usually involves a test. Many others don't - they just want you to click a button. Try getting a lot of qualifications, because that just means more jobs for you.

Getting approved:

Some requestors can take forever to approve your stuff. (Forever being more than a day.) Many do it the same day. So try not to stress while waiting to be approved.

Finally, if you're serious about it, check out this forum:
www.mturkforum.com

This is the best forum for Mturk as far as I know, and some of the requestors post there in designated spots. It's a great place to ask questions and see some of the pitfalls other people have fallen in so you know to avoid them.

Just a heads up to people, if you aren't in the US, I wouldn't bother trying to sign up. I signed up, got an email from them 48 hours later stating:
Quote:
We have completed our review of your Amazon Mechanical Turk Worker Account. We regret to inform you that you will not be permitted to work on Mechanical Turk.

Our account review criteria are proprietary and we cannot disclose the reason why an invitation to complete registration has been denied. If our criteria for invitation changes, you may be invited to complete registration in the future.

After a bit of googling it appears that for the last 6+ months, no one from outside the US has been accepted, despite Amazon stating that country isn't part of the selection process. Something about a combination of an influx of scammers from India and tax requirements.

It's kind of too bad because I used to do shit like this sometimes (in between classes, etc), and the possibility of doing it with Amazon seemed promising (I order from them all the time, and they're trustworthy).

There's also the fact that workers outside of the US and India (who were accepted before they stopped accepting foreign accounts) can only be paid in Amazon vouchers, aka gift cards.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadians can only get US gift cards too. I wasn't aware they ever accepted accounts from outside the US.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, also, refuse to do business in Canadian dollars.
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:

Your honorary Canadian-ness has hereby been suspended!
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:

At least we have a government.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1689, 1690, 1691 ... 1717, 1718, 1719  Next
Page 1690 of 1719

Jump to: