welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1690, 1691, 1692 ... 1715, 1716, 1717  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true... I only pick on Canada because I'm insecure about how fucked up my own country is... I'm sorry, Canada.
Him

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After agonizing over this for months finally went to a dentist appointment and...everything went much better than expected. yeah I had some cavities but nothing that can't be fixed by a tight regimen of flossing, mouthwash and brushing. Never really had cavities before so in my mind it had become this monstrous insurmountable problem, they'd have to pull my teeth, I'd have to burn all my savings on my teeth and..and lots of horrible things. Now it's like someone took a concrete block off of from my chest.
Jinx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you, Him. Good oral health is important for overall health.

I like the fact that every time I go for a dental check up, the last thing they do before I leave is schedule my next check up for six months later. It makes it easy to keep up with.
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
After agonizing over this for months finally went to a dentist appointment and...everything went much better than expected. yeah I had some cavities but nothing that can't be fixed by a tight regimen of flossing, mouthwash and brushing. Never really had cavities before so in my mind it had become this monstrous insurmountable problem, they'd have to pull my teeth, I'd have to burn all my savings on my teeth and..and lots of horrible things. Now it's like someone took a concrete block off of from my chest.

I recently went to the dentist too after putting it off for years. Mostly because i broke a tooth and knew i had to. Better than expected sums it up. It was bad but it's still fixable. (Costs money though.)

Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one reason why I am extremely happy I live in this day and age.
Dentists....

The technology of it has vastly improved recently....

Not so long ago, a trip to the dentists was bound to be painful.
Jinx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dentistry is one of those professions I have a special regard for. I can often picture myself doing lots of different jobs / professions. Not to say I'm qualified or even have an aptitude for them. It's just that I can see how one would enjoy it was their work.

Not dentistry. I'm so glad there are those who work and study to take up the profession. It's important, but I wouldn't want to do it.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
Dentistry is one of those professions I have a special regard for. I can often picture myself doing lots of different jobs / professions. Not to say I'm qualified or even have an aptitude for them. It's just that I can see how one would enjoy it was their work.

Not dentistry. I'm so glad there are those who work and study to take up the profession. It's important, but I wouldn't want to do it.

For me, this is extended to any doctors who deal with human orifices.

Having worked at a truckstop, and having seen/smelled the insane levels to which people allow their hygiene to deteriorate, I can only begin to vaguely imagine what doctors have to deal with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently went to an interprofessional workshop with MDs, dentists, pharmacists, and PhD researchers and the dentists were hands down the funnest group on average. I met some cool researchers and pharmacists, but the dentists were the ones who showed up in jeans, didn't take themselves too seriously, and sat in the back cracking jokes. I met about 15 people I'd like to see again, 8 of them were dentists.

It's weird because the stereotype of dentists is that they're boring or weird, I think (Matthew Perry, Eugene Levy, Ricky Gervais, and Ed Helms have all played them). Though that old joke, "what do you call someone who flunks out of medical school? A dentist." may have some truth to it...
Jinx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Jinx wrote:

For me, this is extended to any doctors who deal with human orifices.

Having worked at a truckstop, and having seen/smelled the insane levels to which people allow their hygiene to deteriorate, I can only begin to vaguely imagine what doctors have to deal with.

I've never had any desire to be a doctor, of any kind*, but dentistry holds a special place, and for very different reasons than my general aversion to the medical field.

*To be clear, I'm referring to the medical doctors. I have no aversion to being a PhD or JD, though I have no great desire either.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always had a low opinion of my orthodontist because he was always so fucking cheerful as he inflicted pain.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....so interesting to read all this as i prepare to head to the dentist to get my bridge replaced.

we were talking about dentistry in the hot tub last night, apparently dentists have really high health insurance costs because they have a lot of stress. i do appreciate modern dentistry (especially since i found a dentist who has learned to administer novacaine correctly)...but i'm still not looking forward to this afternoon. or all the followup visits.

well, if you all never hear from me again, you will know dentistry did me in. i expect you all to tell the police that, when they come asking.
Jinx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how I feel about dentistry in the hot tub. On the one hand, the relaxing effect of the tub might be a nice counter-balance to the stress many people feel in going to the dentist. On the other hand, though, are the sanitation issues.

And, is the dentist IN the hot tub with you, or standing outside of it working on you? Because if he's in with you, I would be concerned about him losing his footing while he's drilling. I can't imagine the leverage issues when trying to pull a tooth.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dentist is okay.

And by okay I mean he'll pump you so full of lidocaine you won't be feeling anything in your lower face for the next couple hours.

This is a good thing, when you have teeth like mine.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my nephews got to come over today and play with our dog.
After that, and some downtime for him to recover, I walked the dog at the park and it turned out there was a .38 Special concert going on in the amphitheater.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally love the dentist. It's actually relaxing to me and I have to fight sleep while in the chair. I think I've mentioned before that I trusted my old dentist enough that he could forego Novocaine while drilling.

Dentists also make a pretty good living. And by pretty good I mean exceptionally well. Of course it's fairly hollow given the supposed suicide rate associated with the profession. My pediatric dentist hung himself in the office one night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1690, 1691, 1692 ... 1715, 1716, 1717  Next
Page 1691 of 1717

Jump to: