welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1696, 1697, 1698 ... 1715, 1716, 1717  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

>_> No one else gets why I'm excited, I think. It's like having a fancy sword, and I want to make a sword rack style holder for them.

this is totally a thing you should do.

And why is it that everyone but me finds treasures in thrift shops?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
I just made my first sale! Wooh! (We've been selling stuff, but this is the first one I've made in our new space.)

Also I scored the most amazing pair of scissors yesterday for $5 - lefthanded steel forged Mundial scissors worth about $45. Amusingly I had just been musing to myself about how I'd love to come across a pair just like it while wandering a thrift store, but figured that was never going to happen - and there they were! Very Happy

>_> No one else gets why I'm excited, I think. It's like having a fancy sword, and I want to make a sword rack style holder for them.

Lefthanded scissors that work and are not terrible?!?!

WHAT WITCHRAFT IS THIS.

It is Mundial magic! I've seen some on Amazon for $16, so check there if you want some. They apparently have a lifetime guarantee - but I doubt you would need to worry about that because they are that damn good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

this is totally a thing you should do.

And why is it that everyone but me finds treasures in thrift shops?

Because you've offended the shopping fairies. Leave some offerings of butter, change and coupons outside your door, and maybe they'll befriend you. Or a raccoon will make off with the butter and money.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving me to sweep up the coupons of course.
Stupid raccoons.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christmas presents.

Specifically, I am currently viewing the forum on a set of virtual reality video glasses. It is both headache-inducing and fucking awesome.

Also, I passed my courses this term, and managed to get above the class average in the majority of them.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I wonder why I keep visiting an avatar forum. Then doing a secret santa makes it all worth it. Very Happy
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Christmas presents.

Specifically, I am currently viewing the forum on a set of virtual reality video glasses. It is both headache-inducing and fucking awesome.

Also, I passed my courses this term, and managed to get above the class average in the majority of them.

YOU GOT AN OCCULUS RIFT? I tried one for a bit, it was rather interesting.

I have heard playing Portal 2 with it, even though Portal 2 was not initially designed for it, A) Sorta still works, B) Is akin to a religious experience.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
Christmas presents.

YOU GOT AN OCCULUS RIFT? I tried one for a bit, it was rather interesting.

I have heard playing Portal 2 with it, even though Portal 2 was not initially designed for it, A) Sorta still works, B) Is akin to a religious experience.

Nah, I got a Vuzix Wrap 920AR. Playing Flight Simulator with it is trippy as hell.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got an interview for a position I applied to 3 months ago. Woohoo!

I also sat down over the past couple of days and weighed in on some life issues. I came to a conclusion I am happy with. For a long time I have been doing school when I can, squeezing in classes in my free time. I got my certificate in Biotechnology this month.

Applying for jobs in the field is harrowing. Most of the jobs require at least a Bachelors degree. Even through networking very little is to be found. I've networked as much as I think I can, mostly through my teacher and reps from companies I know working my internship at the lab, my teacher is co-owner of a local science space and let's me and two other of my classmates come in and work on a project with him.

Anyway, ramble over. I also came to the realization that at my current pace getting a bachelors is many years off. I have two of the classes covered for the AA degree, and the rest of the classes have prerequisites that frankly don't fit into my schedule. We can't afford for me to not work and pay for classes. Both monetarily and time wise.

I came to the conclusion to pick up a trade. I've always been pretty good at fixing things and working with my hands. I have many family members that do electrical, HVAC, car maintenance, etc and make a great living. I am aware of the time to learn and get anywhere with in a company is there, but the jobs are ample. If we move I'll be able to easily find work.

As soon as I came to the decision I felt a weight fall off of me. I feel great, I'm not worried about "making it" in life, excelling at the top of an academic career that was more pain than reward. It's not that I don't love what I was doing (manipulating DNA? for sure!) and I fully intend to keep up with the lab while I can, I can always take courses later.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan! And wow, apparently no one's been happy in almost a week. Or you're all just like me and haven't bothered checking the site. >_>
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been busy being happy, personally. Good things are happening.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had three weeks off from school and used that time to grow a beard (or, as I call it, "a winter project I was sure I could complete"). It didn't grow in as much as I'd hoped, but I went out for a drink with a platonic lady friend and she said I was "totally pulling it off." So, I got that going for me, which is nice.

Also, of the pictures from my three nights in Victoria, BC she said, "you all looked so happy, and there were so many colorful lights, I thought you were in Disneyland."

So I'm doing pretty well. Very Happy
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I had three weeks off from school and used that time to grow a beard (or, as I call it, "a winter project I was sure I could complete"). It didn't grow in as much as I'd hoped, but I went out for a drink with a platonic lady friend and she said I was "totally pulling it off." So, I got that going for me, which is nice.

Also, of the pictures from my three nights in Victoria, BC she said, "you all looked so happy, and there were so many colorful lights, I thought you were in Disneyland."

So I'm doing pretty well. Very Happy

When were you in Victoria?
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

December 27th-29th. It's a beautiful city. Clean, pushing the European feel hard, but really festive and friendly.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
December 27th-29th. It's a beautiful city. Clean, pushing the European feel hard, but really festive and friendly.

Well damn, you probably drove right past me then (assuming you drove, not flew).

Also, Victoria is pretty awesome. Did you get a chance to visit the Royal BC Museum while you were there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1696, 1697, 1698 ... 1715, 1716, 1717  Next
Page 1697 of 1717

Jump to: