welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1697, 1698, 1699 ... 1716, 1717, 1718  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was our indoor activity. We kept it on the list in case it rained and we couldn't do any of our outdoor activities... but it never rained (amazingly) so we did it on the last day before hopping on the ferry. The totem poles were awesome. I have a cool picture of a giant beaver totem I really liked.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:

As soon as I came to the decision I felt a weight fall off of me. I feel great, I'm not worried about "making it" in life, excelling at the top of an academic career that was more pain than reward. It's not that I don't love what I was doing (manipulating DNA? for sure!) and I fully intend to keep up with the lab while I can, I can always take courses later.

that's really great, DeD! i think finding a job that you are happy doing is one of the best life-decisions you can make - you spend so much time at work, it shouldn't be something that gives you ulcers just at the though of going to work every day.

and the world can definitely use more people who can fix stuff.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Yeah, it was our indoor activity. We kept it on the list in case it rained and we couldn't do any of our outdoor activities... but it never rained (amazingly) so we did it on the last day before hopping on the ferry. The totem poles were awesome. I have a cool picture of a giant beaver totem I really liked.

If you find yourself in Vancouver at some point and you don't have anything to do for an afternoon, I highly recommend visiting the UBC Museum of Anthropology. They've got a lot of First Nations stuff on display, including some really impressive totems. Last time I was there, they also had someone working on carving a new one for a display. Pretty cool stuff.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to live in Bellingham, WA, which is only about an hour away from the Museum of Anthropology. It was my first stop when I drove up to BC by myself the first time. It really is an amazing collection. Their totems are great, and I'm not usually one for things in glass cases, but their collection of masks and outfits from cultures around the world is incredible. I could spend all day reading the notes on everything.

... So we're starting a soccer team at school. I'm trying to get them to use the name the Bristol Stools and wear numbered jerseys.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a temp/free lance gig correlating a 3rd grade math text book.

The pay is good, and I feel like I'm helping.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, my dog has found a way to sit comfortably on my lap while I am at the computer. So, there's that.

Good pay and pug snuggles. Wish this was full time.
Jinx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I used to live in Bellingham, WA, which is only about an hour away from the Museum of Anthropology. It was my first stop when I drove up to BC by myself the first time. It really is an amazing collection. Their totems are great, and I'm not usually one for things in glass cases, but their collection of masks and outfits from cultures around the world is incredible. I could spend all day reading the notes on everything.

... So we're starting a soccer team at school. I'm trying to get them to use the name the Bristol Stools and wear numbered jerseys.

Are those two things . . . related?
Jinx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Also, my dog has found a way to sit comfortably on my lap while I am at the computer. So, there's that.

Mz. Love would kill for a job that had good pay plus dog snuggles as a benny.
winterflame

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday my daughter wrote mama for the first time, she also connected rime words, and did kindergarten estimation and measuring game and got almost all of them right. She's 4 and a half and her teacher thinks she's slow because she doesn't answer questions the way the teacher has to ask them (according to the school board). She learned better in the three weeks of vacation then the 3 months of pre-school before that. So I finally confirmed that we are home schooling next year. And we are all relieved now that the decision is made Smile
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
DeD CHiKn wrote:

Mz. Love would kill for a job that had good pay plus dog snuggles as a benny.

It's pretty awesome.

Sweet gig, I get pages upon pages of questions all I have to do is select if it is appropriate for the grade and list why or why not (using predetermined standards).

$1.50 for every one.

Also, I am finally working for someone who seems to actually appreciate me and give me compliments on work.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
Dogen wrote:

Are those two things . . . related?

Only in that they're both science, and one is about poop and the other is a place in which I have pooped.

It's sounding like I will be the Bristol Stools keeper.
Jinx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you'll do an awesome job.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on a date.

I could write essays on why this is a big deal to me, but I won't. Suffice to say, I think this is probably one of the better things to happen to me in the last couple years.
Him

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to London next month. Already looking forward to it. In fact I have been for the past 3 months or so. It'll just be a weekend, but still.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put Schroedinger's Relationship to rest. Dude was super cool about it and I think we were both on the same wavelength in the end.

Hoping we can still be friends, since he really is a cool guy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1697, 1698, 1699 ... 1716, 1717, 1718  Next
Page 1698 of 1718

Jump to: