welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1708, 1709, 1710 ... 1722, 1723, 1724  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the last ~$1,000 dollars come in to push the Reading Rainbow Kickstarter to its stretch goal. Second by second, it climbs higher.

THE SUSPENSE IS ABLE TO BE PALPED!
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY $5.001 MILLION!
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: guard it with your life Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xq3srxF_B8

I feel that this is what I should do after I retire.

Travel the world and make avant garde synth art.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhh....
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed TA positions lined up for winter and spring, talking with a prof to get one for fall.

C'mon baby, Daddy needs a new dental insurance to max out.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. I loved being a TA. Have you done it before? It was when I really began entertaining the idea of teaching.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially no, though I sort of kind of tutored most of my linear programming class as an undergrad.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated office hours because I was TA for a psych 101 course, so the students were all fresh out of high school and never came (they did a lot of stuff older students don't). I got some homework done. If you have a lab you get to teach, though, that's the shit. I loved lecture and Q&A.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm not traveling for work nearly as much as I used to, I went and met a couple of potential roomies today.

They'll be moving in this Friday.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations! and i hope they settle in well - ones with a history of abandonment can be reluctant to trust people, but with patience they come around...but it can be rough until they do. good luck!
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I've generally been able to get along well with cats and dogs, and these two got pretty comfortable around me when I interacted with them at the hospital, so I suspect all will be well once they get used to their new surroundings. They had been at the hospital since about 12 weeks old, and they're nearly two years old now. Apparently black cats tend to be passed over for adoption because of superstition. Boo to that.

These will be the first cats I've ever owned, and the first pet in about twenty years, but a friend who works at the hospital will be able to advise me if I have any problems.
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Confirmed TA positions lined up for winter and spring, talking with a prof to get one for fall.

C'mon baby, Daddy needs a new dental insurance to max out.

At UW or somewhere else?
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back at Oregon State. The UW stuff is just a job to keep me afloat until I head back and start my master's in September.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
Thanks! I've generally been able to get along well with cats and dogs, and these two got pretty comfortable around me when I interacted with them at the hospital, so I suspect all will be well once they get used to their new surroundings. They had been at the hospital since about 12 weeks old, and they're nearly two years old now. Apparently black cats tend to be passed over for adoption because of superstition. Boo to that.

These will be the first cats I've ever owned, and the first pet in about twenty years, but a friend who works at the hospital will be able to advise me if I have any problems.

oh good - if they've been around people that long, they shouldn't be as skittish - as you say, should just need to get used to the new place and the fact that you are a permanent fixture. having two is always good, they keep each other entertained, and they learn from each other that you are OK.

it is unfortunate that there is so much idiocy about black cats - i know around here, the shelters won't allow people to adopt them around halloween, which doesn't help their chances either. one of my cats is black, and she is The Best Cat Ever (you can ask her, she will tell you herself). plus so beautiful - she's like a dancer in a black leotard.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My black cat is like the chillest cat ever. He just ran out of fucks to give early on and mostly just wants to be petted and loved. Apparently like five minutes after he had to get a life-saving catheter he was cuddling up to the vets who gave it to him, he just forgives -everything- in the face of potential affection.

Bums me out they don't get adopted out more, they're such great cats to have.

I've probably told this story before

my cat is just such a good cat you have to understand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1708, 1709, 1710 ... 1722, 1723, 1724  Next
Page 1709 of 1724

Jump to: