welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1661, 1662, 1663 ... 1712, 1713, 1714  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desire

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure she will love the playset, once the weather permits!

Though one thing Alaska has taught me is that there is nothing wrong with kids playing outside or at the playground when it is raining, that is why they make rain gear. ;D (Though I would not suggest having a kid use a wet slide with rain gear on! Shocked)

Also, playgrounds when it is 30 degrees out or in the snow are just as much fun as when it is 70.

I also have realized that I can never, ever take my son to most states during the summer months or he will melt into a puddle goo.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eureka00 wrote:
Atrophy Annie wrote:
I look forward to seeing the swingset!

It's pretty awesome, but unfortunately she's had to learn the sadness that is rain when it comes to really wanting to play outside. It's rained everyday this long weekend. :/

http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Big-Stuff-Adventure-Play/dp/B003M5IYIU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1369664954&sr=8-4&keywords=lifetime+swingset

This is the one we got her.

Oh man, scratch that. I look forward to using the swingset!
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animecon saturday squeeeee
mouse

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atrophy Annie wrote:
eureka00 wrote:
Atrophy Annie wrote:

It's pretty awesome, but unfortunately she's had to learn the sadness that is rain when it comes to really wanting to play outside. It's rained everyday this long weekend. :/

http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Big-Stuff-Adventure-Play/dp/B003M5IYIU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1369664954&sr=8-4&keywords=lifetime+swingset

i would totally use that swingset even in the rain.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:

Ummm yeah, I'm gonna need you to come in and work on saturday.
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Atrophy Annie wrote:
eureka00 wrote:
Atrophy Annie wrote:

i would totally use that swingset even in the rain.

We did play on it a little bit last night after we got home as there was a break in the rain.
Him

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a gravity bong. Listening to Fleet Foxes and greeting the morning with a hit from the bong. Oh how I've longed.
nathan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood the wake and bake. Intellectual fuzziness shouldn't be pursued until hope for humanity is lost, and that's rarely pre-5:30 pm.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the Vancouver Mini Maker Faire. Lots of cool stuff around, from Tesla coils to a 50 ft. robotic, hydraulic-driven snake. Spent a long time lusting after the 3D printers on display, but the $1000+ price tags on most of them scared me away. Came away with a Raspberry Pi (a microcomputer, not the baked good) (http://www.raspberrypi.org/).

And so begun a puzzling hour of trying to install things when I have 4 accessories (a USB key, a mouse, a keyboard, and a wifi adapter), and only 2 USB slots - and not enough juice to power them constantly, meaning the Pi reboots EVERY time I plug either the wifi dongle or the USB key in:

Install the wifi adapter and connect to the internet.
The wireless internet needs a password.
The keyboard is impossible to type with due to amperage issues.
>copy password to text file, copy to USB stick
>use mouse to copy the text file to the Pi, and copy paste text into wifi setup
okay, now I need an on-screen keyboard to type properly with
>use USB stick to copy apt-get commands into terminal
Now you need the keyboard to hit "return" to enter the command
On screen keyboard is installed, everyone is happy. The Pi is hooked up to wireless internet and controlled by my wireless mouse, which can also do the typing thanks to the on-screen matchbox keyboard. Victory!
Wait a second, Raspbian (the suggested OS for the Raspberry Pi, Debian-based) doesn't have native flash (SWF) support. Dicks, I wanted to stream Youtube videos.
>Someone has to have made a plugin for this, right?
All the plugins for Raspbian flash play streamed flash too slow to be usable.
Now find a new distro that has better flash support (openELEC or RaspMBC?) and do it all over again.
>Double dicks.

Overall a lot of fun though.
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Went to the Vancouver Mini Maker Faire. Lots of cool stuff around, from Tesla coils to a 50 ft. robotic, hydraulic-driven snake. Spent a long time lusting after the 3D printers on display, but the $1000+ price tags on most of them scared me away. Came away with a Raspberry Pi (a microcomputer, not the baked good) (http://www.raspberrypi.org/).

And so begun a puzzling hour of trying to install things when I have 4 accessories (a USB key, a mouse, a keyboard, and a wifi adapter), and only 2 USB slots - and not enough juice to power them constantly, meaning the Pi reboots EVERY time I plug either the wifi dongle or the USB key in:

On screen keyboard is installed, everyone is happy. The Pi is hooked up to wireless internet and controlled by my wireless mouse, which can also do the typing thanks to the on-screen matchbox keyboard. Victory!
Wait a second, Raspbian (the suggested OS for the Raspberry Pi, Debian-based) doesn't have native flash (SWF) support. Dicks, I wanted to stream Youtube videos.
Now find a new distro that has better flash support (openELEC or RaspMBC?) and do it all over again.
>Double dicks.

You and Wheels will have much to discuss.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Yinello wrote:

Ummm yeah, I'm gonna need you to come in and work on saturday.

Anyway it was fun. Very Happy I got kitty ears!

The black ones. >:3
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:

>Double dicks.

I'm using a 10-port powered USB hub to both supply power to the Pi (via a 2xUSB-to-micro-B Y cable) and provide extra ports. I was having trouble with it, though, and need to see if an updated version of Raspbian can fix some of the issues that were being caused.
Apparently the Pi foundation had to kind of skimp on the USB controller hardware and it causes a lot of random hangups with many USB hubs. Also, this is a first-gen B board (with half the RAM of current versions); your board might not have the same problem.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
I'm using a 10-port powered USB hub to both supply power to the Pi (via a 2xUSB-to-micro-B Y cable) and provide extra ports. I was having trouble with it, though, and need to see if an updated version of Raspbian can fix some of the issues that were being caused.
Apparently the Pi foundation had to kind of skimp on the USB controller hardware and it causes a lot of random hangups with many USB hubs. Also, this is a first-gen B board (with half the RAM of current versions); your board might not have the same problem.

From what I've read, it appears the issue I was having was tripping the USB polyfuse when I tried to draw more than ~140mA from the USB sockets. Every time I plugged in the USB stick or the wifi dongle the sudden voltage spike required to start them would draw >140mA, resulting in the Pi restarting.

I'll be getting/making a battery pack with enough juice to run a powered hub and the Pi soon. Also going to pick up a cheap USB keyboard - the only keyboard I had on hand was my gaming keyboard, which uses way too much power.
Him

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan wrote:
I've never understood the wake and bake. Intellectual fuzziness shouldn't be pursued until hope for humanity is lost, and that's rarely pre-5:30 pm.
The week end is just one long day as far as I'm concerned.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

From what I've read, it appears the issue I was having was tripping the USB polyfuse when I tried to draw more than ~140mA from the USB sockets. Every time I plugged in the USB stick or the wifi dongle the sudden voltage spike required to start them would draw >140mA, resulting in the Pi restarting.

I'll be getting/making a battery pack with enough juice to run a powered hub and the Pi soon. Also going to pick up a cheap USB keyboard - the only keyboard I had on hand was my gaming keyboard, which uses way too much power.

Edit: Ordered a 7" TFT monitor for it, probably going to be using it as a NES/SNES emulator for a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1661, 1662, 1663 ... 1712, 1713, 1714  Next
Page 1662 of 1714

Jump to: