welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1669, 1670, 1671 ... 1709, 1710, 1711  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 minutes til the weekend and maybe it's just a normal weekend but I need it like I need breathing and I'm just so excited to be done with this week.

(Also yay happy birthday Him, glad it was awesome!)
eureka00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been about 4 years since my parents cat died, and they told me yesterday they are ready to adopt a new one. So we're going to the shelter sometime this weekend to look. I'm terribly excited!! Very Happy
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay for new cats!
Him

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
15 minutes til the weekend and maybe it's just a normal weekend but I need it like I need breathing and I'm just so excited to be done with this week.

(Also yay happy birthday Him, glad it was awesome!)

Commence the birthweekend! Also I've seriously been considering getting a cat again. Lost the last one with my girlfriend and my apartment. And at this point I actually miss the cat the most.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our birthdays are close together. I spent last weekend celebrating my escape from Louis's wretched womb by having bonfires on the beach, swimming, riding trikes called "funcycles," and flying around in a helicopter.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I envy all of that except for the helicopter part because oh my god the last time I was in a helicopter I thought I was going to turn inside out and die horribly. (motion sickness is not my friend)
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the helicopter. I wanted to be a helicopter pilot when I was a kid. They let me sit in the front seat, and the pilot gave us extra time in the air because we were all so enthusiastic about flying.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last day of work.

There's NOTHING I can do because all the people I need to contact to continue my work have gone on holiday.

Procrastinating until 5 PM~ <3
Him

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Our birthdays are close together. I spent last weekend celebrating my escape from Louis's wretched womb by having bonfires on the beach, swimming, riding trikes called "funcycles," and flying around in a helicopter.

That sounds pretty awesome, although you unwittingly made me think of the terrifying helicoptercat.
sporko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because of interviews going on at school, we've got a four-day weekend...spent the last couple of days in NC for a friend's birthday weekend and now settling in for a LOTR marathon Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to sleep yesterday thinking it was going to be a boring workday, only to discover omg the Pride Parade was today! Not so long a one this year because it's not a heavy election year, and we're dripping with queer rights here in my state.

Then I found some $2.00 white wine (In a shape that will make a lovely carafe) and sparkling watermelon lemonade. So I made a froo-froo drink in the souvenir cup I got at a recent gay wedding I attended.

http://twitter.com/greenwickpress/status/356526374594441216/photo/1

But I had to stop drinking it, because now my partner was suddenly gifted art supply money! So we are going downtown to have a fun spending spree.

This is the best day I've had in awhile. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Went to sleep yesterday thinking it was going to be a boring workday, only to discover omg the Pride Parade was today! Not so long a one this year because it's not a heavy election year, and we're dripping with queer rights here in my state.

Then I found some $2.00 white wine (In a shape that will make a lovely carafe) and sparkling watermelon lemonade. So I made a froo-froo drink in the souvenir cup I got at a recent gay wedding I attended.

http://twitter.com/greenwickpress/status/356526374594441216/photo/1

But I had to stop drinking it, because now my partner was suddenly gifted art supply money! So we are going downtown to have a fun spending spree.

This is the best day I've had in awhile. Very Happy

yay to all of this! Very Happy parades and pride and watermelon lemonade and art supplies and shopping Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me, our Pride Parade is coming up in a couple weeks. Part of me wants to go, part of me doesn't want to deal with what will be one serious clusterfuck of traffic.

Also we're dripping gay rights (BC), but our Pride Parade is still getting bigger. City hall increased funding like 340% this year because it's pretty much the largest civic parade in western Canada.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool! Ours started charging marchers $5, because apparently they don't have enough money. And last I heard, Seattle Pride (Which is close enough most people here attend that one in addition to our pride) was way in debt as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Met a really awesome person on Saturday. I was helping out at my lab for one of their workshops, called Build a Bug, and they were there to basically add a green fluorescent promoter to E.Coli. Right before we begin a guy walks in with his little boy, I figure he just couldn't get a babysitter and brought him in to keep an eye on him. I was wrong, the 5 year old was the one that wanted to be there.

This kid was 5 years old and had a better understanding of DNA than I do. It was crazy. He read his brothers AP Biology book when he was 4. His dad said they'd catch him flipping through it and figured he was just looking at the pictures, but then started talking about the stuff he was reading. They obviously encouraged it.

At one point we were talking to him and he brought out his briefcase (because he's that awesome) and pulled out his DNA models he made out of construction paper. He ripped it and said something to the effect of "oh no, now we have to use ligase to put it back together." He pulled out a model of DNA ligase wrapped it around the DNA and pulled out tape.

The best part about this, he's 5, so while he is telling all of us about DNA he is doing somersaults and spinning in his chair. He'd periodically lose track of what he was saying and start drawing, only to come back to the conversation a few seconds later.

I stayed after to help him finish his project because, again he's 5, he wanted to see results today not next week. Of course his P.C.R. showed up as a success.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1669, 1670, 1671 ... 1709, 1710, 1711  Next
Page 1670 of 1711

Jump to: