welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1691, 1692, 1693 ... 1722, 1723, 1724  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jinx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an intriguing correlation. I admit I don't quite comprehend what there is about being a dentist that would drive someone to suicide.

Of course, if it included dealing with this everyday, I could see the downside.

WARNING: That link is gross.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dentists, by dint of their occupation, gaze too long into the Mouth of Madness.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
I'm not sure how I feel about dentistry in the hot tub. On the one hand, the relaxing effect of the tub might be a nice counter-balance to the stress many people feel in going to the dentist. On the other hand, though, are the sanitation issues.

And, is the dentist IN the hot tub with you, or standing outside of it working on you? Because if he's in with you, I would be concerned about him losing his footing while he's drilling. I can't imagine the leverage issues when trying to pull a tooth.

nono - we would never talk so openly about dentists if there were one actually there with us.

interesting concept, though....and this _is_ southern california - which means someone is probably doing it, somewhere.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love going to the dentist as well. It's like going to a spa for the teeth. I also don't mind having blood drawn, either. And medical waiting rooms are such chill places.

So clearly I ought to be a professional patient or something.

Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Dentists, by dint of their occupation, gaze too long into the Mouth of Madness.

And find that it needs cleaning, a few caps, and maaaybe a wisdom teeth extraction.

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney's finally running episodes of Gravity Falls more than once per week! And the re-runs are being followed by new little mini episodelets!
TIAB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I love going to the dentist as well. It's like going to a spa for the teeth. I also don't mind having blood drawn, either. And medical waiting rooms are such chill places.

So clearly I ought to be a professional patient or something.

Actually, that is a real job. It's call Standardized Patient and it's kind of acting. They are used with med students at various stages of their education, especially before they are authorized to examine actual patients. You are told what your symptoms are, where you've traveled recently and a few other tidbits of information that might be relevant to a diagnosis. The pay is based on what level of exam you are comfortable with, the lowest being effectively an interview, the next step up being draping practice and the highest one involving actual examination of orifices and for the amount of time the exams take you are paid quite well even at the lowest level.

I found out about all of this kind of by dumb luck. I had a temp job for the College of Medicine for my local university, working in the IT department, which apparently included videography. I was responsible for setting up the cameras in each of the exam rooms to record each session(just patient interviews, no physical exam) for the students to be graded. It doesn't seem consistent enough to provide a living, but it can be a fairly decent source of supplemental income.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really inconsistent, because it's based around the quarter system or semester system. So if you were the person they did proctological exams on you would only have work once a year when the students were learning proctology exams. Possibly more if the med school had other programs, like PAs, who would also need to learn it but maybe at another time.

sporko tells me her school pays upwards of several thousand dollars for a day of your time if you let people snoop around in your orifice (she's a student, not a patient).

Of course, a single person could be examined 6 or 8 times in a day. So, pick your exam carefully.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, my desktop, my work and the sweet sweet thought that my university is paying me $15 an hour to program from home.

I mean damn, working in pajamas is great. And I only have to go in for a couple hours every Friday for the team meeting.

Also, C# is wonderfully fast to pick up, assuming you weren't dropped down a flight of stairs as a child.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:

Also, C# is wonderfully fast to pick up, assuming you weren't dropped down a flight of stairs as a child.

Awww, dang it.

I guess I'll never be able to speak Microsoft-Java, then. How will I ever be able to utilize the Corporate Language Infrastructure, now?

if... if there's no other choice...

I suppose I could code M$IL/CIL directly

*sobs*
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:

Awww, dang it.

I guess I'll never be able to speak Microsoft-Java, then. How will I ever be able to utilize the Corporate Language Infrastructure, now?

if... if there's no other choice...

I suppose I could code M$IL/CIL directly

*sobs*

Don't worry, it's all dependent on the size/material of the stairs.

And besides, you still have real Java, which is just as good /sarcasm
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say real Java's just as bad, yeah. Bad in different ways, but still.

I'm a bit of a purist, soz

C#F#IRONPYTHONPOWERSHELL.CLI.NET ALL TEH WAYYYZ
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I've found that doing GUI's and general Windows-based stuff is wayyyyyyyyyyy easier than doing so in Java. Unfortunately I'm forced to use an IDE called MonoDevelop which I find incredibly uncomfortable compared to the Eclipse I'm used to using with Java.

Personally, I'm still waiting for a chance to use Python for something. I learnt it, then never actually used it, because neither my job nor my courses cover it at all.

As for puritanism... Program directly into Machine Code, like OG programmers do. High Level languages and ASM are obviously just crutches.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I like high level languages.

and telling me that making a Windows GUI is easier in Blub than in Glub using IDE X is not a way to convince me that Blub is good

especially when I hate Glub
and when Blub is just Glub as cobbled together by a different company
and when I hate that company
and when the main thing I actually like about Blub is its easy compatibility with a bunch of other languages devoted to that same company

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
No, I like high level languages.

and telling me that making a Windows GUI is easier in Blub than in Glub using IDE X is not a way to convince me that Blub is good, especially when I hate Glub

and when Blub is just Glub as cobbled together by a different company
and when I hate that company
and when the main thing I actually like about Blub is its easy compatibility with a bunch of other languages devoted to that same company

I wasn't trying to convince you to switch to c#, if that's what you're implying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1691, 1692, 1693 ... 1722, 1723, 1724  Next
Page 1692 of 1724

Jump to: