welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Today's preventable tragedy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Absynthe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Today's preventable tragedy Reply with quote

So, this just happened: http://komonews.com/news/local/police-respond-to-possible-shooter-at-cascade-mall

This is about equidistant between Stripey and I, which makes it way too close to home. So tired of seeing these things every week.

I hope everybody stays safe, wherever you happen to be.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a wonderful thing to wake up to and start the weekend with, for sure. I just expect a mass shooting or street execution to make the news every day, honestly.

Does anyone have any feelings left about this kind of thing? It's like...what else is there left to say? More empty speeches on the way, and even our satirists like Stephen Colbert seem to be throwing their hands up at the needless deaths. There's nothing funny or moving anymore that helps fo break up the monotony, and there's no change coming.

Meanwhile, THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS IS IMPORTANT AND ANYONE WHO THINKS THERE SHOULD BE THE LEAST BIT OF REGULATION OR GUN CONTROL ARE WEAK ASSES WHO SHIT ON FREEDOM BECAUSE OF MISPLACES FEAR.

I mean, I talk to friends in the UK, and they are baffled by it. By the idea that random gun massacres happen every day, and now not only are people saying it doesn't matter, but that it doesn't happen. That this is all a stage play put on by the government.

Meanwhile, people like Trump are doing their best to ensure brown people have no access to guns, but it must be a sacred highly accessible right to all white people.
http://www.sinfest.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=505578#505578

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've apprehended a suspect. Since he didn't kill himself or get killed by police, maybe we'll find out why he did it.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope so, because that was really bizarre.

but yes, this constant drumbeat of shootings is getting exhausting. my boss is australian; he came to the US about 25 years ago, and he and his family were a bit frightened to be here because there were so many guns around _then_...and it just keeps getting worse. and the pro-gun people get more and more disconnected from reality. i was reading an article in mother jones about the history of gun regulation. it said ATF agents just roll their eyes at the "they are going to take your guns away!" rhetoric. there are something like 2600 ATF agents in the whole country, and something over 300 million guns. which means each agent would have to confiscate over 115,000 guns. if you gave them a year to do it, that would be 316 guns/day (and that would include working weekends and holidays). Just. Not. Feasible.

especially when you add in the fact that, due to various idiot laws, they can't even computerize the records they are actually allowed to collect. so tracing even one gun means paging through a stack of documents.

have i told you all my fantasy, the one where this election is so extreme that the universe separates into one for trump and all his supporters, and one for the rest of us? i'm honestly starting to think that's the only way to restore sanity to the issue. i don't know what can be done to reconnect people to reality.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy at work who claims, and I quote (I had this conversation earlier tonight) :

"As far as the U.S. Government is concerned I own 1,016 guns -- handguns that is -- No wait, I just bought 25 this past weekend so make that . . . 1,041. Handguns."

So yeah.

So rifles.

Shotguns.

Yeah . . .

This is why I'm nice and friendly and generally stay on people's good sides.

BTW this is NOT the largest gun collection someone's told me about.

The word "hoarder" springs to mind. Using something euphemistic like "over-zealous collector" feels like it's sugarcoating the root issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
have i told you all my fantasy, the one where this election is so extreme that the universe separates into one for trump and all his supporters, and one for the rest of us? i'm honestly starting to think that's the only way to restore sanity to the issue. i don't know what can be done to reconnect people to reality.

Two words: population dynamics. On a long enough timetable it "fixes" most human "issues"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

"As far as the U.S. Government is concerned I own 1,016 guns -

ummm......so does that mean he owns even more guns that the government doesn't know about? fuck, he must have more stock than the average gun dealer. i guess he doesn't have to worry about finding a gun if someone breaks into his place - he must sleep on a pile of them.
Absynthe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the collector mentality, and I can appreciate wanting to have a complete collection of something you're really into. Something about being able to arm a small revolution out of one's basement seems excessive.

Maybe it's the fetishization of violence and murder that bothers me.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

"As far as the U.S. Government is concerned I own 1,016 guns -

ummm......so does that mean he owns even more guns that the government doesn't know about? fuck, he must have more stock than the average gun dealer. i guess he doesn't have to worry about finding a gun if someone breaks into his place - he must sleep on a pile of them.

The guy also works part time as a bail bondsman and has the federal licensing to carry in all 50 states. He's also retired Navy. So he's one of the "good guys" I suppose. I mean, he's probably one of the most intelligent and rational people I know at my job (I know about ~ 200 of the 300+ employees there). I don't think he's the type to call for revolution or anything of that sort.

I'd say that he reminds me of other war history buffs I know. He's a geek to be sure -- it just so happens that he geeks out on tools of death and war.

Is there a term for being 'blinded by one's own obsession' because I kinda feel that's what would best describe him. Like a "mad scientist" who pursues their research despite whatever dangers in poses.

That said, while the number of guns is shocking, I don't think it's necessarily cause for concern in and of itself. I know folks who only own one or a few guns and I'm way more concerned about them taking possible actions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: