welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1131, 1132, 1133 ... 1244, 1245, 1246  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nominate andrew!
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft fucking SQL fucking Server.

Also just goddamn fucking Microsoft and their incompetent support.

So now it looks like I fucked up mission critical infrastructure because Microsoft is terrible. Welp, I have two approvals at every stage of this clusterfuck. Time to start compiling documentation...

Edit: it may, MAY, be working for now. It's certainly not like I haven't tried to get us what we need. Here's hoping...

Edit 2: server is working, but is slow as balls and slightly less legally than preferred (intricacies of SQL licensing-the software is good, the CALs are deficient). That's a sysadmin problem, though. It appears the designated scapegoat still isn't the one primarily at fault, but is certainly the person least affected by any blame. So far so good...

Last edited by CTrees on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dat feeling when you are 20 minutes into an exam and have already resigned yourself to the fact that you definitely aren't going to be passing the course.

Also, if I fuck up one more course it's academic probation for me, meaning I can only take 9 credits, meaning I won't have the yearly credit requirement for the program and won't be coming back next year.

Merry fucking Christmas season, everyone.

It read 'Welcome to The End'
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm applying to graduate programs again... not sure how I feel about my chances, but I can always develop a fall-back plan.

Anyway, so one of my applications is due today. It's all online, everything from me has been submitted for weeks. It's still marked as incomplete because one professor hasn't submitted their letter of recommendation. I sent him emails every couple of weeks. I sent him an email several days ago. I called him on his cell yesterday to plead with him to submit it. He told me not to worry, he'd get it done.

He has not yet gotten it done. It's 3pm here, which means it's T-minus 3 hours to the deadline.

He did the same thing to me last time I applied to graduate school.

He's the guy I worked with directly for three years, and with whom I'm trying to publish a paper. But he is giving me an ulcer.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost lost my funding!

but then I didn't
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't get it done. He said they'd still accept his letter Monday, but, ummm... Yeah. He's known about the deadline for months.

Also, there's one last school that requires a paper application, and I have multiple essays written, and my laptop died. Again. It died last month and I paid $500 to get it fixed, now it's doing the same thing. I have maybe two weeks to get everything done, and of course only one of the five essays I wrote is in the cloud (thankfully, the longest one), because I'd emailed it to someone.

Ugh.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Apple store is closed Sunday.

FML.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
And the Apple store is closed Sunday.

FML.

During this season?
Mini J

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome is blocking access to the mixed bags thread because someone is using freeimagehosting.net (or something like that) and chrome is convinced there's malware there. Hopefully either a) it gets fixed, or b) whoever is using that site stops using it.
CTrees

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not an option to ignore that warning?
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, is it a real threat..?
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got to listen to a woman rant about how violent video games need to be banned because the killer played them.

Her justification? Her son plays them and he wastes his potential on them. So she "knows what shes talking about."

I asked her how many people her son has killed and she told me I could never understand because I don't have kids.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She can't understand her son. She doesn't have a penis.
Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, Dogen. I have two coworkers here who are applying to graduate school this season and it amazes me how bad these docs are about getting LORs in before the deadline. But, I hear that most schools will accept LORs late (sounds like yours does too) so hopefully they won't ding you for it. Good luck though!

And has anyone ever mentioned that we should all find Dro's class and sit in on it and make it a living hell for Dro, just for one day? Wink I think that'd be kinda fun.

Anyway, my housing situation is still weird. I found three other people who want to move into a house. One girl says she has had a change of heart and can't follow through with plans, and another girl just has been ignoring all our emails. Whatever. Found another girl, went to see three houses (none of which are perfect, but hey, we're all pretty desperate to get shit done) annnddd I'm still looking for a fourth roommate. This situation could be worse, but I'm just so tired running around and trying to get shit together. Multiple trips to houses on top of work, volunteering, and the thought of boxing up everything makes me want to puke. Someone live with me already!!
Dro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitten wrote:

And has anyone ever mentioned that we should all find Dro's class and sit in on it and make it a living hell for Dro, just for one day? Wink I think that'd be kinda fun.

I could have sworn this was already happening with the weirdos in my classes anyway. In the beginning before I get to know them and their names, I sometimes mentally tag people "I'll call that redhead that likes to show a little leg 'Las' and the nervous laugh guy 'Dogen', etc.." so it is almost like you are all there anyway!

And Dogen, after your post I wrote a few letters of reference, well ahead of the deadlines. I am reading some applications for grad school, and a missing letter isn't that big a deal, but a missing letter from your lab head is a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1131, 1132, 1133 ... 1244, 1245, 1246  Next
Page 1132 of 1246

Jump to: