welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1134, 1135, 1136 ... 1249, 1250, 1251  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta second that out-of-the-closet thespian here, Willem. The world will not come crashing down around your ears and your prospects for a happy and prosperous future are in no particular danger if you fail a class or two, or even three, and have to spend some extra time completing your university courses. Or even if you decide to do something else entirely.

I got the boot from one university and lost a full ride scholarship for basically failing about one class in four, spending half of one term sleeping from 10 AM to 6 PM, and my real downfall, failing the same class three times in a row. I was suspended for "lack of progress" with a 2.85 out of 4.0 GPA, as I could usually manage an "A" in the other three out of four classes, despite being an abjectly depressed total stress-puppy. In four years, I did slightly better than Mr Squidbunny; I'd completed about two and a half years' worth of course work.

I took some time off from schooling and moved back home with my parents. I soldered circuit boards and assembled wiring harnesses for a few months with a bunch of Vietnamese immigrants at a local factory. (I kept up pretty well on the soldering, but they kicked my ass with the wiring stuff.) I saw a shrink for a while. Then I went to the local university in the town I grew up in and got a degree in a couple more years. It wasn't exactly an elite school, but it was quite a bit less stressful, and even though I still failed classes on occasion, I pulled up my grades overall.

I won't say that everything since then has been all honey and biscuits, but I will say that I've been about as materially successful as I ever expected, and I have been able to do work I found interesting and enjoyable more often than not. It may not be true in every field, but I've found that few employers even care what subject your degree is in once you enter the world of work, let alone how long it took or what grades you got. The mere fact that you have accomplished something in getting a degree is usually all they care about. And once you've been working a while, they often don't even care about you having a degree. It matters more when jobs are scarce, and it becomes a way to discriminate between candidates, but otherwise, big deal.

Maybe the upshot is, don't beat yourself up too much. Things get better.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I also third that out and proud successful douchebag with a beautiful family and degree -- the biggest thing to remember is that not everyone is built for formal schooling, and not being able to work within it is not really a failure.

My dad who, bless him I love, really nudged me into University when I was 19, even though he didn't start Uni til he was 29 because he was busy dropping out highschool and starting fights and living out of a suitcase as a cartoonist.

I don't know how it works in the People's Republic of Belgium, but most University's are pretty forgiving because ultimately all they want is people to get a degree so they can tell everyone how successful their ex-students are, and for your sweet sweet fee money.

Tessa dropped out of an archaeology degree last year even though she loved being Indiana Jones because it just didn't fit with her life. A year later she's going back, again as a mature age student, to just try and knock out a BA.

Man, this home made ginger beer is great.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished college in a more or less normal trajectory, with a good GPA, and life is definitely not peachy. I'm currently making a lot less money than if I'd just gone to tech school and learned a trade like welding. My future prospects depend on me getting into grad school - which isn't going well - or flipping the script and going into an entirely different field. I hear there's good money in being a land title processer... I just don't know what that is.

So put me down in the column of people who think it makes sense to find your own path.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Facebook says, "How are you feeling, Patty?" and you get sad because it feels like no one's ask you in awhile... yeah. That's pretty sad.

(Though, later someone did ask, so yay)

But it's just one of those days.

ETA: I had meant to add a lot more but sort of forgot... somehow. Ehh, that'll do, pig. That'll do.

Last edited by Atrophy Annie on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS I love all of you. Well, most of you. Okay, some of you. A lot of you? Pretty much.

(I get mad/sad for you guys a lot but I don't usually say anything)

Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty I miss you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty you should totally show me around Bremerton over spring break. Or we could go to the AFK Tavern and drink sonic screwdrivers. You should not live this close and not spend time with me!
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually thought about having my birthday thing there, since it's sort of central to all of my friends in WA. But it looks like my brother will lose his unemployment, so all of my money will go to bills and other essentials.

Womp womp.

Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMMIT PATTY GO HANG OUT WITH DOGEN ALREADY

WE PROMISE HE'S NOT THE SADDEST MAN ALIVE
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrary to fb post. Staff Xmas party just got 100% more awkward.

Me, Two Pints & Tits McGhee in the same room? Joy.

I actually like making my life this ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:

Last time we hung out she told me I smelled like semen and sadness.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always imagined you'd smell like cock cheese made of egg mayonnaise.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you didn't realize, though, is that those are two of my favorite smells.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's my favourite Bratwurst topping too!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Yorick wrote:

Last time we hung out she told me I smelled like semen and sadness.

also barbecue sauce?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1134, 1135, 1136 ... 1249, 1250, 1251  Next
Page 1135 of 1251

Jump to: