welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1143, 1144, 1145 ... 1252, 1253, 1254  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 12/12. I guess this should be in the pleasures thread.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
DeD CHiKn wrote:
My wife's car got broken into last night. They took her CDs, which is negligible because they are CDs.

What they did do was leave a big ass knife IN the driver's seat.

Sure am glad to be moving out of that neighborhood.

Like stuck into the seat like some kind of melodramatic sign? Jesus. That's scary. How'd they get in? I had a car broken into and they got the ex's purse, but left Christmas presents in the trunk... they really got next to nothing, but it still cost me $180 to replace the window they busted (old car, not comprehensively insured).

She said in, which I have learned means it was in between the seat and the back. Probably just fell. Her immediate thought was it was mine, but then that I wouldn't own a cheap ass knife.

Either the door was unlocked, not unheard of, or they jimmied the lock, again it's a civic and not unheard of. They were probably just some kids trying every door on the way down the street. If they were out for goods, my car was right next to it with a GPS, ipod, and other goodies.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents had some kids break into their car and steal what looked like a CD case. It was actually all the official papers for the car, though, so it was a giant pain in the ass to replace. They left behind a mound of quarters in one of the compartments, which really made us question their priorities. They musta been in a hurry.

I'm just glad I brought my laptop in that night.
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lay-offs have started. Trying to find a job before my number is up. South Carolina is not a great place to be on unemployment. Management is blatantly lying to us. I don't even want to be here right now, because no matter how good a job I do, I'm still in line for the chopping block (along with everyone else at this branch lower than executive level). Have an absolutely crushing workload, which is making me wonder if they're just trying to get all of this done to eliminate the need for my team as fast as possible. Meanwhile Outlook (which I need to do any of this work) has been giving everyone about ten seconds of connection every few minutes, for the last 2.5hrs.

It's fairly stressful. Morale is running low.
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car's not worth being broken into, which is why I leave it unlocked.

well, also the driver's lock is busted and it's a real pain to crawl in thru the pass side in the winter so I gave up bothering.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard the local oldies' rock radio station play... matchbox 20.
Surely, I am not that old!

of course, I did have a similar reaction when I first heard an oldies' station play Chilli Peppers, but that didn't seem too outrageous. they were already going for a while before I picked up their stuff. In other words, I wasn't standing at a cd shop when I saw that some band "matchbox 20" was debuting their first album, and decided it buy it, check it out, found 3 maybe 4 decent songs, listened a bit the month until they started getting radio plays... all the fucking time, up to a bout the time when I couldn't stand their songs anymore at this point.

The worst part was that after I stopped listening to them nearly 20 years ago, I could still sing-along to those 2-4 few songs I had mentioned as the only decent songs I was ever able to find.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halen wrote:
Stupid horror, but it's mine.

Offer to paint colleague's horse.

for some reason, at this exact moment, my brain flashed on an image of halen applying paint to an actual horse.

i think this is good image, and you should get on making it reality immediately.

just don't paint it camel color, and they should have no reason to object. (i'm with jinx, i think a purple horse would be lovely.)
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really minor, but some class work is submitted by email. It's always due by Monday at 5pm. I sent this email, [almost] verbatim, to the professor Tuesday:
"I haven't heard back whether you received this [attached assignment]. Last week you emailed me back Monday night, but I wasn't sure whether that was going to be the typical pattern or not. I just wanted to make sure you got it."

Response: "I'm not sure I understand your email."
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really hate people who don't acknowledge receipt of things, especially when those things have a deadline for receipt.

that really doesn't seem too hard to understand.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I was mostly concerned that she didn't understand. It seemed pretty clear. I was going to post it in the questions thread asking if it wasn't, but I realized it's pretty crystal clear, so she must be... I don't know? Easily confused? Not a native speaker?
Bart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it too quickly the first time around and got slightly confused. However, it shouldn't be a problem if you're paying attention.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the last couple days sifting through piles of Java coding, only to find out today that the commenting conventions I were using were incorrect.

I had been using // to comment all my code, when apparently I'm supposed to be using /** to generate Javadocs documentation.

Fuck my life.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I found out that last wednesday, someone I knew, whose alcohol abuse led to his becoming homeless, was jumped by 3 well dressed men in their teens and early 20's, beaten until hospitalized, kicked out of the hospital as soon as he could walk and kind of talk since he had no insurance, only to have a seizure and die of brain hemorrhaging on friday.

I'm so mad at the world right now i can't even see straight.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a horrific confluence of awful things to happen to one person. I'm sorry. Sad
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too, monkey.

i really don't get what motivates some people. does beating up someone way worse off than you somehow validate what a privileged person you are?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1143, 1144, 1145 ... 1252, 1253, 1254  Next
Page 1144 of 1254

Jump to: