welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1175, 1176, 1177 ... 1249, 1250, 1251  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eureka00 wrote:
Dro wrote:
eureka00 wrote:
DeD CHiKn wrote:
People suck sometimes.

Back the truck up to her door.

Yeah, it basically makes our double gate null and void because there's a giant tree and flower beds on our side that make it completely impossible to drive solely on our property. I'm going to be measuring the fence on the other side of the house today and see if we can fit a big gate in there. If I can get it in, I can't wait for the look on her face when she sees a truck in our backyard and didn't see it go through her yard. *magic*

The mulch companies around here have trucks with long hoses, so they can stay parked in front and blow the mulch in back. You should look for a group with new-fangled devices like that.

Wow, I didn't know there were such things. Can't say I've seen anything like that around here yet. However! The neighbor saga continued yesterday when the guys showed up to cut up a couple little trees that had fallen over. The guys said at first the neighbor lady stormed out and told them they couldn't drive their truck or trailer onto the yard like she had told me.

They were fine with that and went to work, and then they said she must've changed her mind because she came back out and told them they could back the trailer through the yard. And, she had some jobs for them to do in her yard too. I GUESS A TRUCK DOES FIT THROUGH THERE OMG! My husband said maybe I should bake her some brownies so I seemed more neighborly...Hell No!

Think of it dispassionately... what's better for you in the long run? To be right (she sounds horrid), or to have okay relations with your neighbor? If you just need someone to put their long hose in your backyard (dirty) and then never interact with her again... fuck her. If you might need her in the future... well, you don't have to paint her toenails to get in good enough to roll a truck across her lawn once in a while, right? A little, "I think we got off on the wrong foot," might go a long way.

Then when you move, you salt her lawn.
suds

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
suds wrote:
Halen wrote:
Sinfest forums reaching the point where there's an unironic roleplay thread that people participate in without vomiting at what's become of their lives.

Sinfest forums reaching the point where people like Halen go to a corner to passive-aggressively mutter their disgust at something instead of exploding all over the offending place with contempt and snark.

Is it Dickmas already? It seems like just yesterday suds said something and no one cared...

I don't think you got the meaning of "Dickmas every day". Maybe I should elaborate.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'd prefer you posted less (do not elaborate, ever), since all you do is whinge.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eureka00 wrote:

Wow, I didn't know there were such things. Can't say I've seen anything like that around here yet. However! The neighbor saga continued yesterday when the guys showed up to cut up a couple little trees that had fallen over. The guys said at first the neighbor lady stormed out and told them they couldn't drive their truck or trailer onto the yard like she had told me.

They were fine with that and went to work, and then they said she must've changed her mind because she came back out and told them they could back the trailer through the yard. And, she had some jobs for them to do in her yard too. I GUESS A TRUCK DOES FIT THROUGH THERE OMG! My husband said maybe I should bake her some brownies so I seemed more neighborly...Hell No!

my bold. presence of a self-interest does tend to change perspective.

i wouldn't go so far as to bake the brownies (she sounds like the sort of person who would snap at you for not realizing she was gluten-intolerant), but thanking her might be a good idea. no point in being at war with the neighbors if you can avoid it.

especially when you can look forward to salting her yard when you move.
suds

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
No, I'd prefer you posted less (do not elaborate, ever), since all you do is whinge.

Really? Is that so? Never got that vibe from you at all before.
eureka00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
eureka00 wrote:

my bold. presence of a self-interest does tend to change perspective.

i wouldn't go so far as to bake the brownies (she sounds like the sort of person who would snap at you for not realizing she was gluten-intolerant), but thanking her might be a good idea. no point in being at war with the neighbors if you can avoid it.

especially when you can look forward to salting her yard when you move.

Oh I won't be at war with her really. I'm all talk and no bite irl. I intend to thank her when I see her outside next. I will certainly keep trying in my own way to be neighborly. Not going to go out of my way. I will speak with her as I always have.

The thing is, all our previous conversations have always been positive which is why I thought she might be agreeable.

She complained about the previous owner throwing branches over the fence in her yard so I offered to clean them up and she declined. When I was selling an extra washer/dryer set on a garage sale she said she might get them for a friend. When another person made an offer, I walked over to her house to see if she was still interested. She thanked me and said her friend had no way of transporting them so I should sell them. When a large part of one of our trees fell in between our houses, I had it removed immediately and we talked outside about the horrible storm for awhile. When one of her trees fell on her house a year or so ago, I walked over and talked to her outside about what had happened. It's very clear from the few conversations we've had that she HATED the previous owners with a passion. Maybe they salted her yard when they moved out?
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really matter once you move. I stole a cat from a neighbor once. They probably don't like me much, but that's why we waited until moving day to steal their cat.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halen wrote:
Sinfest forums reaching the point where there's an unironic roleplay thread that people participate in without vomiting at what's become of their lives.

actually I vomit fairly regularly at what's become of my life.

well, I guess technically I vomit from excessive drinking but the thought of what's become of my life is what drives me to drink so I'm pretty sure it still counts.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
TIAB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halen wrote:

"Oh God, people somewhere on the internet are doing something that I don't approve of... the horror!"
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eureka00 wrote:

The thing is, all our previous conversations have always been positive which is why I thought she might be agreeable.

that's really weird. i'll hope that you just asked her on a really bad day.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a really good friend who I like bunches, but she keeps saying things like, "I'll get my boyfriend to buy it for me, that's what boyfriends are for." She gave him crap because she was sick and he didn't send her flowers. I mean, sure that would have been nice of him, but who expects that? When I call her on it she says she's joking... But she says it a lot.

It's weird because she's otherwise very egalitarian. It's just her boyfriend. And her best friend is the same way about her own boyfriend. She told me she "just has certain ideas about how she expects to be treated." I still point out the hypocrisy to her, though. Maybe eventually it will sink in. Razz
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, boyfriends send flowers when their girlfriend is sick?

I only got flowers when 1) the guy wasn't dating me but wanted to be or 2) I hinted very strongly. And by hinted very strongly I mean I said "You should get me flowers for Valentine's day." after being told they don't know what to get me.

WAIT NO. The one that cheated on me and lied about it for over a year would bring flowers when I was in a show. Fucking hell why is the one that completely fucked over my life the only one that spent money on me without being obligated to.

This is a post in which I ruminate over my horrible life choices.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all complicated but once you start laying down rules like "I definitely need flowers now" everything's going to go strange
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I think of flowers as a sign of affection, which I think should be spontaneous. So saying you should get them whenever you're sick kind of takes the affection out of it - it's now an obligation. But maybe that's just me. Mostly I find it disheartening to hew to stereotypical gender roles just because they're convenient - she certainly doesn't want to bend to stereotypical female gender roles.

Just bugs me, is all.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would bug me, too. I usually just say "I really really like getting flowers" at one point and leave it at that. I never expected them, but it was still kinda disappointing how rarely I got them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1175, 1176, 1177 ... 1249, 1250, 1251  Next
Page 1176 of 1251

Jump to: