welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1179, 1180, 1181 ... 1244, 1245, 1246  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick math: ($66k * 3 = $198k) + ($57k * 2 = $114k) = $312,000...

... Christ on a pogo stick. Even if I could magically do it with half that amount that's still more than I make now in 5 years.

Well, there's always loan forgiveness programs... I'll just have to sign away like 2-4 years of my life to live like Northern Exposure.
Dro

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of program are you entering, Dogen? That sounds insanely expensive.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming this is grad school. there's no stipend for working in a lab or being a TA?

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, if I'd gone into psychology instead of psychiatry (or anything research- rather than practice-based) I'd have had a tuition waiver, a TA/RA position, and a stipend. Instead, it's a doctorate of psychiatric nursing practice, which is based on the medical school model: tons of money upfront, good paying job at the end (more than I would have made in psychology), various competitive programs you can apply to that will forgive/payoff your loans or pay your tuition upfront (for the more competitive ones) in return for practicing for several years (usually a minimum of 2) in places you probably wouldn't practice normally (hence the Northern Exposure reference).

In reality, I'll only be dependent on loans for all of my expenses for the first year. After that I'll be able to work (that's a long story, and you've probably already stopped reading), and as an RN making alright money. The estimate also includes $20k in "living expenses," and I probably won't need that much as I'll be living rent-free with my mom as long as I can stand that social awkwardness (goodbye love life). Though I am diabetic, so I'll have expenses not on their list (but they do provide health insurance).

TL;DR yes it's a lot of money, no I hopefully won't have to actually pay it all back.
Dro

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's right. I was thinking you had gotten into that, but when I saw the cost I was wondering if it was a full-on MD program. Still, sounds like there are ways to mitigate the cost and a reasonable expectation to pay off the debt. But... gulp!
sporko

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Just got my financial aid letter... Estimated cost of attendance: $66k/year.* Stafford loans awarded: $6k/year.

So... now I spend my Saturday researching third party loans. Mmm... loan term agreements. Is there any better way to spend a weekend?

stafford only $6K? dang.

have you looked at DirectPLUS? i'm doing both :/

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I only come and post when I have drama, and because I can't bring to discuss it with family:

I must be doing this life thing wrong. I got very politely fired yesterday.

3 weeks ago a colleague reported physical evidence of drug use in a staff only area to me. I knew that if the GM heard about it she'd sack every member of staff on shift that evening so I told her to dispose of the evidence and let me speak to staff individually. I did so. No further evidence of staff drug use in the following 3 weeks because, you know, this stone wards off bears ...

GM found out. Made me fire everyone who had worked that shift then fired me.

Got a reference & two weeks severence pay. And no job. Again. I am such a tucking idiot.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
Because I only come and post when I have drama, and because I can't bring to discuss it with family:

3 weeks ago a colleague reported physical evidence of drug use in a staff only area to me. I knew that if the GM heard about it she'd sack every member of staff on shift that evening so I told her to dispose of the evidence and let me speak to staff individually. I did so. No further evidence of staff drug use in the following 3 weeks because, you know, this stone wards off bears ...

Got a reference & two weeks severence pay. And no job. Again. I am such a tucking idiot.

That's a pretty harsh reaction for a GM in an industry that basically peddles vice.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH BUT THE MAIN THING IS I WAS RIGHT.

She did fire us all.

So, yay for being right? Ah I fucking give up ... srsly.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Mr Gary wrote:

That's a pretty harsh reaction for a GM in an industry that basically peddles vice.

Yeah what the fuck.

Also no worries gary, once I buy my own bar I'll get you to run it for me. Just wait a few years.

Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Gary, your every employment ends ...well ...interestingly.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sporko wrote:
Dogen wrote:
Just got my financial aid letter... Estimated cost of attendance: $66k/year.* Stafford loans awarded: $6k/year.

So... now I spend my Saturday researching third party loans. Mmm... loan term agreements. Is there any better way to spend a weekend?

stafford only $6K? dang.

have you looked at DirectPLUS? i'm doing both :/

I know, right? And NURSE Corps (who would pay my tuition in exchange for practice) defines "extreme financial need" as $1,000 less than my EFC... But neither they nor the FAFSA take into account medical expenses. Frustrating.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
No, if I'd gone into psychology instead of psychiatry (or anything research- rather than practice-based) I'd have had a tuition waiver, a TA/RA position, and a stipend. Instead, it's a doctorate of psychiatric nursing practice, which is based on the medical school model: tons of money upfront, good paying job at the end (more than I would have made in psychology), various competitive programs you can apply to that will forgive/payoff your loans or pay your tuition upfront (for the more competitive ones) in return for practicing for several years (usually a minimum of 2) in places you probably wouldn't practice normally (hence the Northern Exposure reference).

In reality, I'll only be dependent on loans for all of my expenses for the first year. After that I'll be able to work (that's a long story, and you've probably already stopped reading), and as an RN making alright money. The estimate also includes $20k in "living expenses," and I probably won't need that much as I'll be living rent-free with my mom as long as I can stand that social awkwardness (goodbye love life). Though I am diabetic, so I'll have expenses not on their list (but they do provide health insurance).

TL;DR yes it's a lot of money, no I hopefully won't have to actually pay it all back.

ah, given your posts I just assumed it was a psychology graduate program. but, yeah, a good portion of my family is in medicine and it's certainly an expensive education. like you said, the only thing that makes it possible for most people is a high salary afterwards. what advantages and job positions are there with getting a doctorate in nursing as opposed to a regular nursing degree? supervisory positions? you mentioned being an RN so I assume a doctorate wouldn't make you a NP?

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in the upper 70s all week and there is no rain (Which I am told is not the result of global warming, but is a normal weather variation for springtime in the Pacific Northwest.). I want my rain and clouds and flat 50 degree temperature back!

But that's not the horror. Wasps are the horror. In the bathroom. THE BATHROOM!

I've been paranoid ever since I was a kid about wasps being in the toilet bowl, since that happened once. Haven't actually had any incidents since then, so I could happily tell myself it was a fluke, or maybe I misremembered.

(I do think wasps are cool. Just not when they have gotten lost in the place in which I pee)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my personal horror is that i am now starting week 3 of a horrible obnoxious cold. which at this point mostly expresses itself as a cough, and i haven't been able to find anything that helps, so i am awake half the night coughing.

at least it's no longer the body-wracking, about-to-cough-a-lung-up cough. now it's just a body-wracking, dry raspy-throat sort of cough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1179, 1180, 1181 ... 1244, 1245, 1246  Next
Page 1180 of 1246

Jump to: