welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1189, 1190, 1191 ... 1248, 1249, 1250  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TIAB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I'm a bit calmer, I can actually clarify one thing. They only hit the adult services section, which included books on gardening, foreign language, anything instructional, really. They did this when the Director of Adult Services was out of the country and had brand new part-time employees carrying it out, who either wouldn't know better or wouldn't dare to question the order. It was incredibly stupid and shady at the same time.

I can only hope that either the company they sold the books to has a bad feeling about the deal and sends all the books back or that some massive amount of donations come in to recoup this major loss.
Him

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contemplated posting this in the Life's mixed bag thread but no this is purely a horror.

Flora, my dog, had heart failure yesterday, now I say my dog even though she always lived with my dad but you know. I grew up with her. She's a french bulldog and 9 years old. She's in surgery today so by tomorrow we'll know if she'll make it.

The reason I considered putting this in the mixed bags thread is because we're going to Spain the day after tomorrow, me, my dad, my brothers, their mom (who's turning 60), her other son and his wife and kids. So I've been looking forward to it for weeks. This is horrible timing. If Flora does make it my father will stay behind and look after her. Never thought I'd hope for him not to come with us. So yeah this is pretty much horrible all over, but I suppose going back to spain for the first time in 6 years will do us all some good whatever happens.

Last edited by Him on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit belated, but I have discovered something important:

I SHOULD NEVER EAT ANYTHING THAT HAS TOUCHED SHRIMP. (Though i guess it could be MSG?)

I'd *suspectd* I had a shrimp allergy, ever since the first time I tried some (I got a... the best way I can describe it is a 'weird' feeling. Like someone was pinching the back of my neck, right under the base of my skull) at a Kabuki Grill.

I've gotten a simillar weird feeling every time I've tried shellfish since then (generally only in very, very small ammounts).

Recently, a friend treated a bunch of us to dinner at a Kabuki Grill (to celebrate his graduating college and getting a good job locally). I didn't actually try any of the shrimp, but my food *was* cooked on the same grill.

About 30 minutes into the meal, I get the 'weird' feeling again-and also notice I am having a slightly harder time swallowing, and my face felt funky. It did not progress *past* this point (though I did immediately stop eating and monitored myself for any further signs of an allergic reaction)-.. And I spent about, uh, two hours on the toilet when I got home.

The annoying thing is I can't be *Sure* it's the shrimp-I suppose it could be MSG sensitivity. Preettyyy sure it's the shrimp, though.

(But, hey! better to find that out now than on the honeymoon in a few months.)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go get your allergy confirmed and get yourself an epi-pen.

You may never need it, but having watched someone I care about have their throat shut off on them and have little to nothing I can do to help them, you should have a remedy at hand.

They were fine and their throat opened after about 3 minutes. I was carrying them to the ER in the hospital by this point.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, gotta figure out where I can get allergy testing-the on-campus health center doesn't offer it, and I have to figure out if the school insurance LETS me see an outside doctor. I suspect it does (it's actually pretty damn good insurance)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Him

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with dad. Flora has passed on. Evidently it was worse than they thought, she had a tumour on her heart so they decided to put her down. At least it was quick and she was only in pain for a short time.
Sad
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Him. Sad *hugs*
Him

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm still letting it sink in a bit. I mean I might be misremembering but I think she was turning 10 this year. That's pretty old for a dog. And I mean she didn't have to be sick for very long so I suppose...I mean, given the circumstances maybe this was for the best.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear that, Him. sounds like it was for the best, though. in situations like this, you have to consider whether your pet would really be happy if you opted for all the tests and treatments that would keep it alive.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Yeah, gotta figure out where I can get allergy testing-the on-campus health center doesn't offer it, and I have to figure out if the school insurance LETS me see an outside doctor. I suspect it does (it's actually pretty damn good insurance)

I put my money on the shrimp. I know people allergic to MSG but it isn't anaphylactic shock levels.

Him - Sad

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
I SHOULD NEVER EAT ANYTHING THAT HAS TOUCHED SHRIMP.

so fucking happy I once touched a shrimp now

safe!

(jokes aside, there's MSG in looooooads of things, shellfish allergies are common [reference: they're something I've heard of] so I'd look into shrimp specific stuff first)
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And him (or kim, or khim, or red khim, as you'll now be now as forever in my mind) I'm sorry about your dog! It always sucks to lose a friend
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My garden is failing. I'm pretty sure it's because most of the plants are in too small containers, and there is not enough dirt. Unforutunately, there is no extra moneys for new dirt. I'm gonna get rid of the for-sure dead and mostly dead plants, condense the dirt in the biggest containers we've got, and try to save what is most likely to do well.

Sad So far I've gotten a handful of snow-peas and less than half a handful of spinach leaves. Everything was doing beautiful till we hit this dry heat spell (which around here means between 70 and 80 degrees with days between rain.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1189, 1190, 1191 ... 1248, 1249, 1250  Next
Page 1190 of 1250

Jump to: