welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1202, 1203, 1204 ... 1248, 1249, 1250  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
So the idea would be that someone throws or rolls the tire under your car, then mugs you when you get out to check out what you hit and/or try to get it out from under the car? If so, that's sneaky as hell.

I was driving off thinking this sounds like some chain email "A friend of a friend was mugged after being lured out of his car. Like/forward to save his life"

But it's really not an unheard of thing.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A video I can't sit through!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g-Spay1ui-8
eureka00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
You're a much nicer person than I Erika, I would be planting some obnoxious things on the property line.

It's alright, she can waste her money on boulders and birdhouses all she wants. My landscape guy has apparently hatched project: Cut Down All the Things. Then, we won't need her permission because it will all be on my property.

Also, I've decided that next time I see her out I'm going to tell her how much I like the birdhouse and that I'm glad she put it there because my daughter likes watching the birds from the window. Wink
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're nicer than me, too. I'd just stop talking to her and ask the guys to mow the lawn every other week instead of every week. And get an outdoor cat.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lawn gets mowed twice a year.

_________

...getting an outdoor cat specifically because of that would more be being mean to the birds the neighbor is attracting than being properly vengeful.
eureka00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
You're nicer than me, too. I'd just stop talking to her and ask the guys to mow the lawn every other week instead of every week. And get an outdoor cat.

I won't talk with her unless she approaches me, and I'll hope things cool off in the winter time. I'm working on checking to see if I can afford to have about 3 trees cut down yet this summer.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

...getting an outdoor cat specifically because of that would more be being mean to the birds the neighbor is attracting than being properly vengeful.

well, there is also the fact that outdoor cats need somewhere outdoors to poop. so if the neighbor has flower beds or anything else with open dirt....

and why should you cut down your trees, unless they are unhealthy? trees are good! trees are pretty! trees block her view of other stuff she probably objects to!

didn't you guys get a swing etc. set for your daughter? now that summer is here, i think you need to have lots of her little friends over to play on it. also, you should get a wading pool, or maybe several. let your neighbor rejoice in the shrieks of happy children!
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
So the idea would be that someone throws or rolls the tire under your car, then mugs you when you get out to check out what you hit and/or try to get it out from under the car? If so, that's sneaky as hell.

I was driving off thinking this sounds like some chain email "A friend of a friend was mugged after being lured out of his car. Like/forward to save his life"

But it's really not an unheard of thing.

Quite obviously my living in a small town has put me out of touch with the schemes and scams of city life. Muggings here are pretty much unheard of.

Edit: We have to cut down trees once in a while, but that's because we live on a cliff and the trees have a tendency to fall off the side of the cliff and land on the neighbors below.

Last edited by fritterdonut on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this talk of cutting down yard-trees is kind of depressing, unless they are sickly or overcrowded, or a safety hazard.

we have to cut down a cottonwood or two every once in a while

but cottonwoods aren't really trees

they're giant weeds masquerading as trees
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am surrounded by eucalyptus, which have an unfortunate habit of dropping anything from seed pods through large chunks of bark to major branches, often without warning, but i still hate it when any of them get cut down - so nice to have the shade, and the wind through the leaves, and the birds. used to have a hawk's nest in one just in front of my place.
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i am surrounded by eucalyptus, which have an unfortunate habit of dropping anything from seed pods through large chunks of bark to major branches, often without warning, but i still hate it when any of them get cut down - so nice to have the shade, and the wind through the leaves, and the birds. used to have a hawk's nest in one just in front of my place.

fucking awesome!
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
eucalyptus

KILL IT WITH FIRE.

Also: remember folks, outdoor cats are walking ecological catastrophes.

(No pun intended.)
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T EVEN MENTION FIRE AROUND EUCALYPTUS - because those things burn _great_, with exploding trunks and spraying embers and stuff. and it is the dry season now.

and i view my cats as critical elements in evolution: any bird sufficiently maladapted that they get caught shouldn't be in the gene pool anyway.

(although mine don't get out as much anymore, after that close encounter with the coyote, she says, COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS TO THE HYPOCRISY OF THAT STATEMENT)

and the hawks were pretty cool. they raised a chick there one summer; i spent a lot of time with camera and/or binoculars in hand, trying to get a peek.
eureka00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:

well, there is also the fact that outdoor cats need somewhere outdoors to poop. so if the neighbor has flower beds or anything else with open dirt....

and why should you cut down your trees, unless they are unhealthy? trees are good! trees are pretty! trees block her view of other stuff she probably objects to!

didn't you guys get a swing etc. set for your daughter? now that summer is here, i think you need to have lots of her little friends over to play on it. also, you should get a wading pool, or maybe several. let your neighbor rejoice in the shrieks of happy children!

One of the trees is dead. Another one is a huge pine that is way too close to our house, and I worry about it toppling over onto the house all the time. Another huge pine is in the front yard and pretty much takes up the entire front yard and blocks the view of the house from the street. I get tired of looking out the front windows and seeing nothing but tree. It is also fairly close to the house. We have tons of trees, and none of them really block her view of our yard. I actually think getting the big one up against our house cut down would make her happy.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
DON'T EVEN MENTION FIRE AROUND EUCALYPTUS - because those things burn _great_, with exploding trunks and spraying embers and stuff. and it is the dry season now.

Sorry, let me rephrase that: KILL IT WITH FIRE BEFORE IT KILLS YOUR BIRDS, LOWERS YOUR WATER TABLE, DEPLETES YOUR SOIL, AND KILLS YOU WITH FIRE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1202, 1203, 1204 ... 1248, 1249, 1250  Next
Page 1203 of 1250

Jump to: