welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1203, 1204, 1205 ... 1248, 1249, 1250  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, they've been there for about 30 years....i suspect the damage is done.

at least there aren't any new ones gong in.

and i will ok cutting down trees that are dead, endangering the house, and blocking _your_ view. as long as there's a reason beyond trying to make the neighbor happy (because you know nothing is really going to make her happy).
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
well, they've been there for about 30 years....i suspect the damage is done.

Bah, damage is rarely permanent in ecology, unless people refuse to fix the problem.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a giant fir in front of our house, which is host to a population of eagles. At one point I was talking to my father out in front of the garage, when two eagles fell out of the tree and landed on our lawn. They'd been grappling and just kind of fell out of the tree, got back up, and then flew after each other down the road.

They're scary birds when they're that close and that pissed off.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scary....and yet, extremely goofy. (i mean seriously - birds that fall out of trees?)

although i think having an entire population of them living right next to your house would be a bit off-putting. kinda reduces your ability to have small pets and/or small children around the place, i would think.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might have accidentally kidnapped someone's cat. It was wandering around and had a collar (something that worried me) and was acting like it wanted me to do something. After briefly interacting with it, I noticed that it was missing some front claws, so I figured it wasn't meant to be outside and took it home so I could call the owners.

An hour later when I returned it, it turns out that it lived only about a block away from where I found it, so it probably wasn't lost after all. Tch.

Anyway, it's back home now, so no damage done. The owners said that they'd had to pay to get it back from the city twice before.

Anyway, this deserves a Public Service Announcement in two parts:

1) Do not declaw your cats.
2) Do not let declawed cats wander around outside. Outside cats need claws. For everything. Climbing trees to escape things, fighting off other animals, not being mistaken for lost indoor-only cats, etc etc etc ETCETERA
3) Do not declaw your cats. PLEASE. DO NOT. DECLAW. YOUR CATS.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but .. should i declaw my cat?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also

the neighbor dog was tied up alone yipping and crying and keeping me awake all night

when the owner came home this morning all I heard her express was her flattery that it had been waiting for her and how glad it probably was to see her, y'know, due to the stockholm syndrome and all
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
I think I might have accidentally kidnapped someone's cat. It was wandering around and had a collar (something that worried me) and was acting like it wanted me to do something.

cats sometimes just do this (even if they haven't been declawed). i've had strange cats that were hanging around when i came home just walk right into my place, inspect it all, eat my food, even settle down for a nap, and then just go off again.

i don't know, maybe they write for some sort of interior decorating magazine or something.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's not the part that I was saying was dependant on it missing claws.

while I'm complaining about so much shit anyway, thanks to to a combination of my own absent-mindedness and misguided stubbornness, I just jogged home through a couple of miles of rain and hail and lightning and wind that was knocking down trees

yay me
let's hope I don't get sick

Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little bit pissed at my landlord because I heard nothing from him for months concerning the leaking pond in the backyard.

Today he called me to apologize and also said that he can't come for a while because his son is in the hospital. He's lost the ability to breathe by himself and doctors say he will most likely die this week.

Sad sometimes life really sucks
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
yeah, but .. should i declaw my cat?

When we moved to PA years ago, my wife's cat went crazy. He clawed the walls, the furniture, the carpet--literately everything he could get his claws in. Outside, he was picking at the deck, the kid's playhouse, and even the house siding.

So, despite our reservations, we got his front claws removed. Despite losing those, he still became the alpha male (of sorts) in our area of the neighborhood. This included his future conscription efforts of possums as well as chasing away raccoons. He truly lived up to his name Orion (named before MiB came out) and was still able to hunt despite lack of front claws.

Then again, he was part demon(where he's standing is about 7 inches lower than the inside floor):

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try soft-paws? And I'm curious, why wouldn't trimming his claws work?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO at the end of may i got into an accident (trying to avoid someone swerving into me) and wrecked my car.

THE SEQUELAE:
-no car. i've been dealing with this ok since then.
-i got a reckless ticket (for hitting the guardrail? i have a lawyer for this and court date tbd after continuance)
-the most awesome sauce part of this that i found out today...student loans don't count as income so there is no way i can get a decent auto loan to replace said car.

fmllllllll

looks like i'll be carless until rotations, at which point i guess i'll just get a beater for a year and then buy a real car once i start working?

fuck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate that I can tell whose food is going to be obnoxiously annoying to make and/or badly following some dietary fad by whether or not they're a white person with dreadlocks or not.

this town...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sporko wrote:
SO at the end of may i got into an accident (trying to avoid someone swerving into me) and wrecked my car.

THE SEQUELAE:
-no car. i've been dealing with this ok since then.
-i got a reckless ticket (for hitting the guardrail? i have a lawyer for this and court date tbd after continuance)
-the most awesome sauce part of this that i found out today...student loans don't count as income so there is no way i can get a decent auto loan to replace said car.

fmllllllll

looks like i'll be carless until rotations, at which point i guess i'll just get a beater for a year and then buy a real car once i start working?

fuck

did you not have insurance? make sure next time you get insurance! in the meantime, hope the court case goes well, and you can find something cheap but functional.

and on a private note, i am amused that i now know what 'sequelae' means, and can appreciate its use in this context. (which is not actually a horror - sorry.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1203, 1204, 1205 ... 1248, 1249, 1250  Next
Page 1204 of 1250

Jump to: