welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1204, 1205, 1206 ... 1253, 1254, 1255  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sporko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
sporko wrote:
SO at the end of may i got into an accident (trying to avoid someone swerving into me) and wrecked my car.

THE SEQUELAE:
-no car. i've been dealing with this ok since then.
-i got a reckless ticket (for hitting the guardrail? i have a lawyer for this and court date tbd after continuance)
-the most awesome sauce part of this that i found out today...student loans don't count as income so there is no way i can get a decent auto loan to replace said car.

fmllllllll

looks like i'll be carless until rotations, at which point i guess i'll just get a beater for a year and then buy a real car once i start working?

fuck

did you not have insurance? make sure next time you get insurance! in the meantime, hope the court case goes well, and you can find something cheap but functional.

and on a private note, i am amused that i now know what 'sequelae' means, and can appreciate its use in this context. (which is not actually a horror - sorry.)

i definitely had insurance. insurance does not a new car buy, however. :/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it should supply replacement value....i guess i should ask the age of the old car. it is rather depressing, how little value a perfectly functional car seems to have for insurance people.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my brother got into an accident, he got some money for his car but not enough to buy a new one. In fact, he still owes money on that car.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why they invented gap insurance. I rolled $5k of debt into my car loan (bumping it from $5k to $10k) and if my car gets totaled the gap insurance pays the difference between the assessed value and the remainder of my loan... Which leaves me with no car and no money, but at least not no car and $7k in debt.

But, like sporko, I have no job, so that idea is still terrifying. I couldn't get to school without a car. Confused
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uninsured, because not even the HR department uses their own insurance at the barely-regulated crap hole my husband works at, (which is still better than 99% of the barely-regulated crap holes in this state, because they were terrible enough in the past that they've actually got someone watching them with a knife to their throat to make sure they adhere to the few regulations they do fall subject to.) We qualify for nothing.

And, after a major depressive slump, it looks like I've got some kind of thyroid thing going on that's messing me up head to toes.

Fuck.
sporko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
but it should supply replacement value....i guess i should ask the age of the old car. it is rather depressing, how little value a perfectly functional car seems to have for insurance people.

still owed $5K on the car; the little extra that the insurance paid out went to pay down other debts. unfortunately, cars devalue significantly just being driven off the lot, even new.

the car was not old by any means (2009) but there is no way i was getting anywhere near close for a new car from insurance companies.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've skipped my hormones by a few weeks. Sad I usually notice after I've felt very contrary/out of sorts, anxious, and unable to sleep. Can't fix it till tomorrow, though.

(This is no emergency, btw, so don't worry.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I think I've skipped my hormones by a few weeks. Sad I usually notice after I've felt very contrary/out of sorts, anxious, and unable to sleep. Can't fix it till tomorrow, though.

(This is no emergency, btw, so don't worry.)

Bleh. Anything that messes with your hormone balance . . . just bleh.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a while last night updating and jazzing up my resume. Finally got it into a working, convincing order. Made cover sheets for each job.

Sent the wrong papers to the wrong jobs...
TIAB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no benefits.
Wife had a blemish on her leg, started to get painful.
Made worse when she accidentally closed a car door directly on it.
Got worse, took her to the clinic. Have I mentioned no health insurance?
Given Rx as a precaution.
Gets worse, back to the clinic. Results are in: it's MRSA.
Doctor recommends trip to the ER or operation in the clinic(where they don't have as good anesthetics). Have I mentioned no health insurance?
Op done at clinic. Leg now healing... slowly.
Week goes by, Rx runs out, leg is still healing. Looks cleared up as of last night.
This morning, go to clean it, change dressing etc. and there is a new blemish.
Back to the clinic.
Multiple blemishes now in the span of 2 hours. They want to schedule a follow up and a referral to the hospital. New Rx, still no health insurance.

I feel like loan sharks are less unpleasant to deal with.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far today, part of my truck has fallen off while driving down the highway and I managed to walk too close to a yellowjacket nest and get stung about eight times.

This has been an immensely shitty year.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIAB: I don't know what the clinic can do for you, but the hospital should have some kind of financial assistance, sometimes called bridge assistance, where they ask for some financial data and then decide if/how much of your bill to waive. Depending on your income it could be a considerable amount. Not that medical care is cheap even at 20%, but hopefully it will help.

I hope she's alright... MRSA's rough, and the antibiotic they treat it with is a kick in the ass, too. I wish her a speedy recovery.
TIAB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We applied for assistance a couple years ago when she had to go to the ER. They gave us a 25% discount.

I'm not expecting much in the way of assistance from them this time around, either.

Thanks for the well wishes, all the same. The latest antibiotics they've got her on seem to be effective, but they warned of the possibility of contracting C. Diff as a consequence of using it, so she has some probiotic stuff to take as well. It's looking better.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's called superinfection. They're killing off everything, which can let a bad bug take over. The probiotics are important to make sure her gut doesn't get colonized by something harmful.
TIAB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a class on human diseases a couple years ago. My heart sank when I found out it was MRSA and again when they mentioned C. Diff.. Probiotics seem much more pleasant than the next most likely treatment and this is where people knowledgeable on such things nod their heads in agreement and move on to another subject gracefully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1204, 1205, 1206 ... 1253, 1254, 1255  Next
Page 1205 of 1255

Jump to: