welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1207, 1208, 1209 ... 1257, 1258, 1259  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TIAB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I get started let me just say that this isn't about my wife's leg and that there is currently no sign of infection. She has been up and about for the last couple of days and actually able to get out of the house and do things in a limited capacity.

This is about hearing noises in the middle of the night.

First one I heard tonight was small, but it sounded like something broke. I get up and discover that it was just a razor that fell in the bath tub. No big deal.

A couple hours later I am startled by a loud crash, the sound of glass breaking with a lot of force behind it. I felt it in the floor. The culprit?

I discover in the kitchen an entire cabinet has liberated itself from the wall, made a pit stop at the drainboard full of dishes, flipped and landed on its head in the middle of the kitchen floor. All of our drinking glasses, stemware, nearly all of our bowls, plates and mugs were lost in that fall. The stupid cabinet as it turns out is made out of particle board. It's a miracle it lasted this long.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philips, stop being such a pain-in-the-ass company to work with.

@TIAB: Dang. Good thing you weren't near it I guess? Still sucks that so much got smashed.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIAB wrote:

Thought this was gonna be a spooky horror.

Sucks for your dishes though.

Dogen: Group projects blow, 9 times out of 10 they are the worst thing to ever happen.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
TIAB wrote:

Thought this was gonna be a spooky horror.

Sucks for your dishes though.

Dogen: Group projects blow, 9 times out of 10 they are the worst thing to ever happen.

Oh oh but you HAVE to learn to work in groups! You'll have to work in groups int he real world and god I hated that bullshit.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Oh oh but you HAVE to learn to work in groups! You'll have to work in groups int he real world and god I hated that bullshit.

In the real world you have to write in cursive or no one will take you seriously.

"Oh, ok."
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Felgraf wrote:

In the real world you have to write in cursive or no one will take you seriously.

"Oh, ok."

Ahaha, I remember that. I think the last time I used cursive was that stupid section of the GRE: "I swear that I'm the only person who's taking this test and understand the honor policy blah blah blah BY THE WAY THIS MUST BE WRITEN IN CURSIVE". Pretty sure I made up, like, half the letters. "This looks loopy and looks like the letter. That'll work. No one's going to 2#%#@ check this anyways."
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Jinx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few weeks ago (7/27) I slipped or lost my balance OSLT getting in the shower, and banged my right foot into the edge of the tub. I apparently hit it hard enough to make my yelp out, because Mz. Love came bounding up the stairs to see if I was okay. I told her I'd stubbed my little toe. ("Hard enough to yell?") I prodded it, and squeezed the toe. It was tender, but otherwise intact.

I was limping about the rest of the day. As a test, I tried to put on my gym shoes Sunday morning. That was a non-starter, so I decided to forego the gym for a week. I was able to get around pretty well, other than having a slightly halting gait in my dress shoes for work. I normally walk fast, and trying not to either put weight on the toe or have it press against the side of the toe box made me slow down, which I found exasperating.

I returned to the gym the next Monday, and my stride was improving in my work shoes, though being barefoot at home was definitely more comfortable.

The following Monday (a week ago), it seemed to be more tender when I got ready for the gym. I decided that two weeks was too long to still be tender, and apparently getting more so, so I made an appointment with the orthopedist for the next day. The result was a cracked bone in my little toe. (I hesitate to say, "broken," because there was no separation, just a fracture along one side.) There wasn't much they could do. He suggested staying out of shoes that pressed on the toe, maybe use one of those post-op shoes that don't let your foot flex, or buddy taping it to the next toe, but didn't think it was much to be concerned about, unless it was still bothering me in another 4 - 6 weeks.

I started working from home as much as possible, to stay out of shoes. I was working from home all day Friday. It was a beautiful day, so Mz. Love decided to walk to the mall a few blocks from her office for lunch. She didn't see the pothole in the crosswalk and stepped into it. She took a tumble that sprained her right ankle, broke a metatarsal in her right foot and banged up her left knee.

I was able to remain barefoot for most of the weekend, but since she wound up on crutches and with a walking boot, I was doing most of the fetching of things, especially if it involved going up or down stairs.

TL:DR - My wife couldn't let me be the one with the most severe foot injury in the house.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what can one say - you just can't get good help these days. (hope you both are able to resume normal bipedal locomotion soon).
sporko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Pretty sure I made up, like, half the letters. "This looks loopy and looks like the letter. That'll work. No one's going to 2#%#@ check this anyways."

...this just made my day. ahahaha.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where to put this.

Someone that was a part of a circle of friends that I used to hang out with before I moved away from my home town passed away this week. I liked and admired him, but never got to know him as well as I have gotten to know my current friends, not as well as I would have liked. He was a good man.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, just came to post about the same thing as TIAB did. The worst part for me right now is that... I don't really feel anything. And I'm not sure what that says about me. Maybe it'll hit me later.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar thing happen semi recently. I lost touch with a friend from high school and was OK with it, people lose touch some times. Then I got thinking about it and he was a cool dude, so I tried hunting him down. Couldn't find him on any sites so I asked a mutual friend from high school. "Oh he died back in '06. Yeah, we had a big memorial at school for him, it was really sad."

It's not unheard of to not be sad at someone you don't currently associate anymore. It might hit you, it might not. It may take you longer to go through the grief phases as well.

I wouldn't be too worried about not feeling anything right now.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent a mail giving up position as a DM. It makes me sad because I feel like I'm letting 5 people down plus I really liked doing it. Except lately it felt like I was doing work on top of my already busy full-time job.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just lost my gum on the floor and will probably end up stepping on it at some point aaaaa really this is the worst thing to happen to me all year I swear I mean look see I can only express it as a run-on sentence with no punctuation or linebreaks that's how you know it's bad
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I came back from a very short dog walk around 8:50 in the evening, one of our neighbor's dogs had snuck over. Since we didn't get much exercise at the park, I let our dog play with him in the back yard. The back yard does not have a fence, but he USUALLY doesn't try to escape, and when he does he USUALLY comes back when called. He's been acclimated to a shock collar so he generally knows where the boundaries are, but we don't have a fresh battery for the collar so I didn't put it on him.
I went into the house for about five to ten minutes, and then when I came back outside the yard was empty.
I called, I walked around, I shined my keychain flashlight into the thick woods that surround our house. Nothing. About fifteen more minutes of searching and calling around the yard, and then I looked up the number for the neighbors whose dog he was playing with, but the only listed number had been disconnected. I got into the car to cruise up and down the street. Nothing.

I came back up the driveway, and the neighbor's dog was there but ours was not. After more searching around our property in the dark (and now a little stormy) conditions, the neighbor's dog disappeared back into the woods, presumably to go home for the night. Some more calling, some noise-making, and wandering aimlessly around the property later, I went for another drive around the block. I drove further, searched more places, and used a spotlight to try and pierce the woods on all sides. I looked in the ditches, but didn't find a body. Every time I left the house, I left the front and back doors slightly open so that our dog could, if he returned, let himself in.

He still hasn't come back.

I can't sleep, so I'm going to wait until a reasonable hour and then try to pay our neighbors a visit. I want to think that he wandered over there with their dog, and that they brought him into their house when the weather started turning nasty.
If that's not the case, I'll call the animal shelter. If that doesn't turn out, I'll search the woods and the roads nearby in the daylight. It's been 7 hours and I haven't gotten a single sign of him yet, but I'll still leave the doors slightly cracked in case he does find his way back and let himself in.

He was wearing his collar and harness when I let him out, so anybody who finds him SHOULD have our vet's number on the rabies tag. But he didn't have a personalized tag with our contact info on it. Assuming we get him back, our first purchases are going to be batteries for his radio shock collar and a tag with our phone number.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1207, 1208, 1209 ... 1257, 1258, 1259  Next
Page 1208 of 1259

Jump to: