welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1224, 1225, 1226 ... 1254, 1255, 1256  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ennis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: the swelling has gone down ever so slightly but my face is still pretty puffy. However, my cheeks are now bruising, and I also have a bruise under my left eye for some reason. Oh, and it turns out I do have stitches, but no one told me. They're dissolvable, but still. It was like how they didn't tell me they were going to knock me out when they did, so I woke up with the last thing I remembered being answering their questions.

Basically, I feel vastly uninformed by these teeth-extracting people.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Yinello wrote:
Dang Ennis. :/ That sucks majorly. I also had my wisdom teeth pulled but the worst that happen is my jaw swelled up and looked bruised for a few days.

Oh and the disgusting fluids that came out of the hole as it was healing and closing. Urghhhhh.

My face looks like a chipmunk right now haha. What kind of fluids? 0_o I've just had blood sort of... being there.

They gave me these stitches that would dissolve over time. But the taste that comes from them was so nasty.
Ennis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three days later and the stitches aren't dissolving yet, and I can't taste anything from them. How long did it take for yours to dissolve?
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most dissolving stitches take 1 to 2 weeks to fall apart, but you sometimes have to remove the knots (assuming they work like other dissolving stitches).

EDIT: Australian stitches may only dissolve in beer, I don't know. US stitches require you to be in debt before they begin to dissolve, but that's not usually a problem.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a week or longer? It's been a while. I'm also not sure if it was really the stitches (I assumed so) or something I didn't wanna think about.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Every so often Sinfest reminds me of why I never want to get my wisdom teeth taken out ever.

I only ever had the three and since they aren't actively causing me agonizing pain I'm just going to avoid that particular surgery like the plague.

i really don't think there is any reason to take them out, unless they actively start growing through your cheeks or are about to rot apart.

i finally agreed to have mine out because the hygenist was convinced they were going to start decaying and then the dentist would have to take them out in pieces (but i think really she just hated having to clean back there). i did keep one of the three i had, so hopefully have not lost all my wisdom.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Samsally wrote:
Every so often Sinfest reminds me of why I never want to get my wisdom teeth taken out ever.

I only ever had the three and since they aren't actively causing me agonizing pain I'm just going to avoid that particular surgery like the plague.

i really don't think there is any reason to take them out, unless they actively start growing through your cheeks or are about to rot apart.

i finally agreed to have mine out because the hygenist was convinced they were going to start decaying and then the dentist would have to take them out in pieces (but i think really she just hated having to clean back there). i did keep one of the three i had, so hopefully have not lost all my wisdom.

Well, I think there's also a certain point where it can actually be too late/too dangerous to get them taken out. I know my mom no longer has the option to have hers removed, despite them occasionally causing her pain.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm - hadn't heard that. i was hardly a spring chicken when i got mine out, but then i'm not the oldest person in the world either -
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the cat we adopted a couple weeks ago tested positive for feline leukemia. she tested negative at the shelter before we adopted her (or else she wouldn't have been available for adoption) and all our other cats are vaccinated against it and have never tested positive for it, so i have no idea where she could have picked this up. we're having another test done to confirm, but we probably won't hear back for three or four days. if that test comes up positive then we have to put her down. if it comes up negative then we'll have to wait six months and test her again before we can be sure she's in the clear.

there are so many people in this world who don't care about their pets and don't take care of them, including whoever owned this cat before us. we do, and this is how we're thanked.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know what kind of test the vet did? if it was the ELISA test, apparently that gives a lot of false positives. so i will hope that is all it was. does the cat really have to be put down, since your other cats have been vaccinated?

it really isn't fair that responsible people end up so often holding the bag for the irresponsible ones. but i don't know how much it helps, knowing that you are one of the people doing good...especially when the results are so painful.

after reading further from here, i'm guessing they ran an ELISA and the one you are waiting for is an IFA:
Quote:
Test Interpretation

No test is 100% accurate at all times and under all conditions. In populations with a low prevalence of FeLV infection, more than half of cats for which test results are positive are likely to be uninfected. Confirming positive test results is crucial, especially in asymptomatic cats.

Negative test results are much more reliable than positive results, because of the low prevalence of infection in most populations.

To increase the reliability of a positive soluble antigen test result, the test may be repeated, using a different type of test, such as an IFA test, or another immunochromatograpic test.

Positive results obtained with tests that detect free antigen may be reflective of transient or persistent viremia.

Positive results obtained with tests that detect cell-associated antigen (e.g., IFA test) are highly likely to be reflective of persistent viremia.

Discordant test results are defined as conflicting results obtained with different tests. Discordancy may be a consequence of the stage of infection, the variability of host response, or technical problems with the testing system.

If results of two soluble antigen tests are discordant, an IFA test should be performed immediately.
If results of a soluble antigen test and an IFA test are both positive, the cat is highly likely to be persistently infected.
If results of a soluble antigen test are positive and results of an IFA test are negative, both tests should be performed again in 60 days and then annually until results of both tests are in agreement. It is very difficult to determine the true infection status as long as discordancy remains, but cats with discordant results should be considered potential sources of infection for other cats.

Because FeLV tests detect antigen rather than antibody, maternally derived antibodies do not influence results of FeLV tests. Therefore, kittens may be tested at any age. However, infection in newborn kittens may not be detected until weeks to months after birth.

FeLV vaccination will not induce positive test results.

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the ELISA test was the one they ran that came back positive. i don't know what test they ran at the shelter, but that one came back negative. now we're waiting on IFA.

we still have to get her spayed, too. she had a bad upper respiratory infection when we adopted her, so they sent her home with us to get over that before they spayed her. but she responded pretty well to simple antibiotics and bounced back well from the cold.

i don't know. i'm hoping for the best but i've been on this "cause for hope" train before.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know - and i know you don't want to get attached for fear of losing this one too.

i'm getting ruined - i've been watching kitten cams and there are some really great stories of animals that have been rescued and brought back to health, and you all are trying so hard to do the same thing, and i really hate to think you might lose another one. both you guys and the cat deserve the win.
TIAB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in September, my wife and I applied for a medical assistance program through the local hospital to help cover our medical costs. We were approved a few weeks ago at the tier for 100% of our costs for medically necessary items would be paid for, and this coverage would be valid for 12 months. Sounds fantastic, right? I was incredibly relieved when I received this news.

Today I have been informed that this program doesn't count as having medical insurance under the ACA, which means I have until Monday to sign up for a package which will cost me money that I don't have, have a large deductible and will invalidate the program that I was approved for as it is only intended for people without insurance. And as of this coming weekend I will be unemployed for the... sixth time in three years. Unemployment benefits won't kick in for at least a month, if approved, and since I wasn't making enough to pay all of my basic monthly expenses while I was employed, my credit cards are maxed out. I have no buffer to fall back on, but I've made too much to be considered poor enough for any federal assistance, which means that Medicaid is still unlikely even with the expansion, as are food stamps. Merry Fucking Christmas!
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Samsally wrote:

I took all of mine out because they were starting to grow against my other teeth because my mouth is so small. They showed me an picture and the teeth were touching in a diagonal way and the wisdom teeth weren't even fully out yet. The healing process sucked but I'm really glad they're gone. My mouth feels roomier too (as odd as that sounds).
Jinx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:

I took all of mine out because they were starting to grow against my other teeth because my mouth is so small. They showed me an picture and the teeth were touching in a diagonal way and the wisdom teeth weren't even fully out yet. The healing process sucked but I'm really glad they're gone. My mouth feels roomier too (as odd as that sounds).

This, with your current av, made me chuckle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1224, 1225, 1226 ... 1254, 1255, 1256  Next
Page 1225 of 1256

Jump to: