welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1227, 1228, 1229 ... 1253, 1254, 1255  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mini J

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I hit 30 or so, that started happening all the time. Sad

ps. Sporko, I hope you managed to get everything worked out re: rent.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's happened to me forever.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the remaining people at our branch got their 60-ish day termination warnings. Even our local VP is included. Now I get to job hunt, which I really should have started before, but... the odds of our winning SOMETHING were pretty good, and they gave me a bunch more cash to stay on. We still might get something in the next two months, but it's not really worth gambling on anymore.

Really not feeling like sticking with defense contracting right now...
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to that having been without a job since July 31st of 2013. Just lost any weeks past the 20 weeks you're allowed (in Michigan) on unemployment because congress cut off the emergency unemployment compensation December 28th. I've been in school full time since trying to get as much schooling done as possible with the extra time. I just want to get my degree already instead of the vicious cycle of shitty office jobs.

Also, I'm buried under like two feet of snow. Fuck winter. Sad

P.S. I really miss you guys lots! I hope all is well. <3
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
I can relate to that having been without a job since July 31st of 2013. Just lost any weeks past the 20 weeks you're allowed (in Michigan) on unemployment because congress cut off the emergency unemployment compensation December 28th. I've been in school full time since trying to get as much schooling done as possible with the extra time. I just want to get my degree already instead of the vicious cycle of shitty office jobs.

Also, I'm buried under like two feet of snow. Fuck winter. Sad

P.S. I really miss you guys lots! I hope all is well. <3

Keep fighting! Miss you around here too. Smile
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates:

Our letters yesterday were supposedly sixty day notices under the WARN Act. I say supposedly, because they were about 55 day notices, without any clarification as to why we were short a few days. By the looks of it, violations of the WARN Act are punishable by payment of back wages. I really wouldn't mind getting a week of pay for doing nothing, butI needed to do my due diligence first. This meant chatting with our local HR rep (she was conveniently out of the office yesterday). She... went beyond unhelpful, and into outright hostile. Lots of "if you intend to hold the company to this." End result was, "if you have a problem with it, go talk to [our local VP]; it was his decision." Great.

First stop, jot down the contact info for the state department of labor. Next, type up a letterto my supervisor, detailing what happened and copying my non-work email, so there is a record. As I'm doing this, that VP comes to my cube. "I understand you have some concerns about the WARN letters. Come see me in my office." Fantastic.

Well, that secret promotion/raise I got a several months ago? He was the one that pushed it through. Turns out, they had to give letters to everyone, but I'm on the list of people (about two dozen) that they're going to keep on overhead after our contract end date,and at least until the award of a major contract we're trying for in 3-4 months. I'm also the *only* one in my position that they're keeping. Just again, I can't tell anyone that works here. He actually showed me the list, though etiquette kept me from lingering over long and making notes of everyone left. What I did see were some obvious picks (grading middling employees may be tough, but everyone knows the rockstars and the boss's pets). Unfortunately, one of the guys who might be on that list (again, only got a few seconds peak) may lead to us being sued on age and gender discrimination grounds, but that's a different story (I'm friends with a sweet little old woman in that department, who just happens to have a will of iron when provoked - I know what she's considering, and she's justified).

End result is, I'm still technically on sixty day notice, but the VP says don't worry about it, and we're still dumping almost everyone here. Oh, and the people left are a small enough group that the WARN Act won't apply if we don't win anything the first half of this calendar year. Also I dislike our local HR even more than I did before (she's horrible).

It's a gamble, but if it pays off I'm golden. Worst case, I have some more breathing room than I did before. I am, of course, still keeping an eye out for any interesting jobs that might pop up, but the bar is a lot higher than it was yesterday.

Also getting *really* sick of the defense contracting world, and all its secretive little games.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
Updates:

Our letters yesterday were supposedly sixty day notices under the WARN Act. I say supposedly, because they were about 55 day notices, without any clarification as to why we were short a few days. By the looks of it, violations of the WARN Act are punishable by payment of back wages. I really wouldn't mind getting a week of pay for doing nothing, butI needed to do my due diligence first. This meant chatting with our local HR rep (she was conveniently out of the office yesterday). She... went beyond unhelpful, and into outright hostile. Lots of "if you intend to hold the company to this." End result was, "if you have a problem with it, go talk to [our local VP]; it was his decision." Great.

First stop, jot down the contact info for the state department of labor. Next, type up a letterto my supervisor, detailing what happened and copying my non-work email, so there is a record. As I'm doing this, that VP comes to my cube. "I understand you have some concerns about the WARN letters. Come see me in my office." Fantastic.

Well, that secret promotion/raise I got a several months ago? He was the one that pushed it through. Turns out, they had to give letters to everyone, but I'm on the list of people (about two dozen) that they're going to keep on overhead after our contract end date,and at least until the award of a major contract we're trying for in 3-4 months. I'm also the *only* one in my position that they're keeping. Just again, I can't tell anyone that works here. He actually showed me the list, though etiquette kept me from lingering over long and making notes of everyone left. What I did see were some obvious picks (grading middling employees may be tough, but everyone knows the rockstars and the boss's pets). Unfortunately, one of the guys who might be on that list (again, only got a few seconds peak) may lead to us being sued on age and gender discrimination grounds, but that's a different story (I'm friends with a sweet little old woman in that department, who just happens to have a will of iron when provoked - I know what she's considering, and she's justified).

End result is, I'm still technically on sixty day notice, but the VP says don't worry about it, and we're still dumping almost everyone here. Oh, and the people left are a small enough group that the WARN Act won't apply if we don't win anything the first half of this calendar year. Also I dislike our local HR even more than I did before (she's horrible).

It's a gamble, but if it pays off I'm golden. Worst case, I have some more breathing room than I did before. I am, of course, still keeping an eye out for any interesting jobs that might pop up, but the bar is a lot higher than it was yesterday.

Also getting *really* sick of the defense contracting world, and all its secretive little games.

Stack your bills as high as you can and can stand to then get out. Being able to feel good about what you do and your job is a lot more important to your well being than most people think.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, I really like my actual job (procurement/material expediting). All sorts of challenges, research to do, tangible wins... I take a lot of pride in my skills, too (seriously, ifit's out there, I can find it). I also like that my doing my job well means the troops get what they need faster, and it costs the taxpayers less money. Heck, I even have good proof that my work is appreciated at a very high level. The *work* is great. It's just the environment, the uncertainties, the scheming and secrecy... the realities of the working in the defense industry. That's what gets me.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it sounds like you have skills that would be valuable to a lot of people (well, getting stuff to the troops faster is probably only a factor in the defense industry). so you should be able to find places where you can do the things you love, without having to deal with an atmosphere you hate.

because monkey is right, working in a toxic environment is really not a good thing.
Him

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some dickweed stole my bankcard when I was out in a bar in December. I assumed nothing too terrible had happened since, with the exception of bars where you can sometimes order drinks with a rarely verified signature, you really need a PIN to do anything with it. Turns out they had managed to get my PIN and emptied my account, this was before I paid my rent too so for once there was some actual cash in there. And now I get a letter from the bank saying they won't refund me. Fuck this shit. I am appealing that, but thank fuck I had a savings account meaning I have enough to make bills and food this month but only barely. Fuck. Fuck. I hate this. Everything was going so well and then some shit like this happens.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT THE FUCK AUSTRALIA!?

Not for the faint of stomach.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks so much Him, I'm sorry. Best of luck on the appeal, because that is totally bullshit.

(Monkey sorry but I am not clicking on that link, thanks for the warning.)
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i'll put my comment as a spoiler

the fact that his initial thought was that he had a poisonous spider in his ear is not exactly the most reassuring thing i have read about australia.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although maybe the australian thing makes me feel a little bit better about my day.

1. came home last night to a notice that they are going to power-clean the buildings starting on monday in preparation for painting, and i need to move everything on my patio away from the building and any woodwork. i have a whole mess of stuff on my patio, so that is probably a full day's work. i don't really have a full day to do it, because in addition to working full-time, i have a part-time job on sundays. and i also need to fit in little things like the shopping and errands and oh yeah, MY ACTUAL PLANS FOR HAVING A LIFE ON THE WEEKEND. this is the first word i have heard that they were even thinking about painting. _so_ appreciate all the notice - especially since i just took a week off around new year's, so i would have had all kinds of time to do this if they just had the sense to give people a slightly reasonable amount of warning.

2. made the mistake of reading the comments about my management company when i went on the web to find their phone number. really, really negative comments. and right there are the main page. totally reassures me about the caliber of people responsible for keeping my condo complex running.

3. had a dr's appointment this am, which involved a fasting blood draw of 17 (seventeen) tubes and a whole lot of waiting, so something i should have been done with about 10 am took until nearly noon. (the traffic jam on the freeway getting there didn't help either).

4. then when i finally got something to eat, i broke off part of a temporary cap on one of my front tooth. so that's an extra trip to the dentist (no charge, but it means another chunk of time off work). and i can't get in until monday, so i get to spend the weekend looking like i'm trying out for some horror-movie part. or else keeping my hand over my mouth the whole time. and now i'm scared of eating because i don't want any more of it to break off but i'm really getting hungry.

5. AND i can't get people to actually commit to the yoga class i am organizing, which means i am going to have to charge the people who do commit a whole mess of money, which may mean i lose some, so the price goes up even more, and i sure don't have a lot of extra cash so that screws me up too.

6. plus my boss desperately needs some data by monday morning and i can't get it because the people who have to give me access have spent the last month demonstrating that they are completely incompetent. and now the one i've been dealing with is on vacation. and it seems that no one there knows who can fill in for her. which is not my fault, but a) i feel guilty anyway that i didn't start bugging them incessantly earlier on and b) i know that means when i _do_ finally get access, there is going to be one unholy rush to get results. from an unfamiliar set-up. that they never came up with a way to let anyone do test-runs on.

and also it turns out i'm a complete wimp because this has me completely stressed out and really it is all perfectly manageable.

oh, i forgot the amusing part. the notice says that they assume no responsibility for water damage to our possessions, and recommend that we stuff towels along the windows and doors to keep any water from getting in. no suggestions on how i am supposed to stuff a towel around my door from the outside. after i've locked the door. because i need to leave and go to work.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Some dickweed stole my bankcard when I was out in a bar in December. I assumed nothing too terrible had happened since, with the exception of bars where you can sometimes order drinks with a rarely verified signature, you really need a PIN to do anything with it. Turns out they had managed to get my PIN and emptied my account, this was before I paid my rent too so for once there was some actual cash in there. And now I get a letter from the bank saying they won't refund me. Fuck this shit. I am appealing that, but thank fuck I had a savings account meaning I have enough to make bills and food this month but only barely. Fuck. Fuck. I hate this. Everything was going so well and then some shit like this happens.

It's a terrible fuck, but generally any time your own PIN appears to have been used in a transaction you're not going to get any recompense. Sorry man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1227, 1228, 1229 ... 1253, 1254, 1255  Next
Page 1228 of 1255

Jump to: