welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1140, 1141, 1142 ... 1252, 1253, 1254  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
That moment when you put too much brylcreem in your hair and it doesn't want to wash out.

Greased lightning, yo

Dish soap, concentrated dawn was my friend when I used Murray's Pomade.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's awful, ded (about the albums, not that you once used excess amounts of pomade). i hope the albums get returned to you.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Successfully got the brylcreem out of my hair.

A dab really will do ya with that stuff. A pea-sized amount and I'm good to go for now.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12/1 - My MBP dies suddenly. I bring it to an Apple store for repair, they ship it out for a new logic board.

12/22 - Laptop goes back to repair, gets another new logic board.

1/3 - Back to repair again... this time when the store gets it back from Apple the logic board fails while they're running post-repair diagnostics. They ship it off to Apple a fourth time.

That's four dead logic boards inside just over a month. Luckily, each repair has a 90-day warranty, so I only paid for the initial "repair" (I use the term loosely). But this is an untenable situation, and the store isn't really giving me any options. So I don't know what to do.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, 4 boards? That's either a constant manufacturing defect or the world's worst luck.

Is there any specific reason you need to use a Mac? If not, I'd say sell the MBP on craigslist and buy a windows, or just a different Mac laptop.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2675881?start=420&tstart=0

it would appear you are not alone, Dogen. Maybe impending recall?

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/08/class-action-filed-against-apple-for-defective-macbook-logic-boards.html

It would appear someone even brought a class-action lawsuit about it.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some really bizarre ironic comedy behind Dogen frying logic boards; his fu must be too strong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Damn, 4 boards? That's either a constant manufacturing defect or the world's worst luck.

Is there any specific reason you need to use a Mac? If not, I'd say sell the MBP on craigslist and buy a windows, or just a different Mac laptop.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2675881?start=420&tstart=0

it would appear you are not alone, Dogen. Maybe impending recall?

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/08/class-action-filed-against-apple-for-defective-macbook-logic-boards.html

It would appear someone even brought a class-action lawsuit about it.

Yeah, unfortunately the problem wasn't known when I bought the MBP in 2008, and replacements seem to be hit or miss. Some people get lucky on the first replacement, others go through multiple. Some people speculate that the latest OSX update may increase the likelihood of the board going bad, others have found a problem with the graphics card (which is soldered to the logic board, and thus they have to be changed together), but who knows? The real kick in the nuts is that even though the problem is widespread, and Apple had a recall on the GPUs, there doesn't seem to be an actual solution. You just get a new logic board that's the same as the old one, including whatever flaw causes them to die, and you take your chances. Which is how I've had four in just over a month.

Darqcyde wrote:
There's some really bizarre ironic comedy behind Dogen frying logic boards; his fu must be too strong.

I think the logic board problem extends beyond the laptops. The next time a tech insinuates that there's no systemic issue, and that I probably just randomly got four bad boards in a row, I'm going to make them work out the probability of that by hand. I'll even bring a pad of paper.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some people speculate that the latest OSX update may increase the likelihood of the board going bad, others have found a problem with the graphics card (which is soldered to the logic board, and thus they have to be changed together)

It's stupid crap like this that made me decide to build my own desktop, rather than taking an off-the-shelf computer. OEM's tend to do things like soldering normally removable parts together. Let's them up repair/maintenance fees and charge more for parts. Soldered batteries are a particularly hateful to me.

Too bad it sounds like your shit outta luck as far as getting it replaced goes. You'd think if it was as widespread an issue as it appears to be, that Apple might actually give a fuck and tell people that they will hand out refunds/exchanges, considering they distributed a faulty product.

Looking into it further it seems the problem is mainly faulty NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT GPUs. Once these go, you get black screens, no graphics processing, and eventually it seems to fry the rest of the logic board as well.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, soldering shit together and making them less user-serviceable is becoming more common as laptops move toward thinner frames. This is one of those "if I knew then what I know now" moments.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
that's awful, ded (about the albums, not that you once used excess amounts of pomade). i hope the albums get returned to you.

They turned up in my mail box on Saturday.

Not sure what happened or where they were for the time though.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were they in the packaging?

I mean, was it an UPS fuck up or were they stolen, and the guilt ridden thief (I almost typed rogue, damn you RPGs!) decided to return it.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still boxed up, came with the USPS mail.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, congrats on getting them!
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are pretty. Although I noticed I have a duplicate picture in there. D'oh!
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the main thing is, you got them back - happy happy!

(and if anyone asks about the duplicate, tell them it's because that picture is twice as good as the others).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1140, 1141, 1142 ... 1252, 1253, 1254  Next
Page 1141 of 1254

Jump to: