welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1182, 1183, 1184 ... 1244, 1245, 1246  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHEW!

sounds like someone at the office must have filled things in or something - wait, do you know when the profs have to have grades in? i had a problem like that with a class i took my last semester of my master's. it was a photography class i was taking just because i wanted to learn darkroom techniques, i was just taking it pass-fail. the professor didn't get the last assignment graded by the due date, and he left immediately on vacation, so he just marked everyone whose project he hadn't graded as 'incomplete'. which wouldn't have been a big thing, but i was applying to phd programs - and they couldn't send out my transcript because i had an incomplete. which was a) not correct, because i had turned in the assignment; b) contrary to university policy anyway, because the student has to request an incomplete, have a reason for wanting one, and have a schedule set up for completing the class; and c) just really stupid - i would have passed the class anyway, even without that project. so i spent a good chunk of the summer trying frantically to get ahold of the professor, or get someone in the department to take the issue seriously (my complaints were pretty much laughed off with a shrug and an 'oh yeah- him' - seems he did this sort of thing all the time).

ANYWAY - at least in this case, sounds like the prof is on top of it.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strange part is, the project is X/100 points, but I was graded at 10/50 points for it. It also wasn't showing up on anyone else's I found out.

It's just one of those glitches that keeps happening to me.

Grades are in by next Tuesday, or Monday at midnight I believe.
eureka00

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a meeting this morning in another building. While I was gone, the police called my daycare center and told them to get everyone off the playground because there was a known person armed in the neighborhood that they were trying to apprehend. So my center was in lockdown for about 2 hours. Luckily the person was caught and we got the all clear.
TIAB

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days ago I had a conversation with a coworker that was earnest and personal. I mentioned that I was going through a divorce for reasons that cannot be "fixed", she mention that she doesn't mind living with her grandma because she's saving herself for marriage.

A few days pass and today she hands me a printout with several highlighted passages from Hosea. For marriage advice. At work.

On the one hand, totally inappropriate and possible grounds for dismissal working in a state-run organization. On the other hand, everything about this girl's personality just screams innocence and I really don't want to be the harsh reality check that is probably coming her way. If I was in any way responsible for her, IE: her parent, I'd feel that she'd need to learn this harsh lesson sooner rather than later, but as it stands, I barely know her and it's a difficult job market out there. She's in a position that is incredibly low on the totem-pole and could be let go for much less.

Urgh.

Edit: Bonus horror: My AC is old and failing at home. The type of freon it needs has been determined to be harmful to the environment so production of it has halted in an effort to force people to switch to newer units. So either I need to pay four times as much to top it off as last time, or five times as much to replace the unit. I don't think I even had enough to pay the original price...
mouse

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you can try to educate her without being harsh - take her aside and say something like, "i really appreciate your concern and your effort to help, but you should be aware that doing this sort of thing (and be explicit - handing out religious material?) is inappropriate in the workplace...in fact, you could even be fired for it." and if there is something in an employee handbook or something that that you can show her, even better. sounds like her only fault is that she doesn't know any better; she can learn without having to be fired.

and i don't know what to say about the AC. i don't know where you are - but i'm assuming a fan isn't sufficient?
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in the town he does, I attempted to get the AC going pretty much as soon as spring appeared. >_> I was quite annoyed at being told to use a fan. Not that it takes much to annoy me.

Basically, I don't know what it's like there currently but central IL can get pretty damn uncomfortable in warm weather.

(To be fair, the fan ended up being sufficient but I also didn't stay past May)

TIAB

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the AC, personally, I don't mind sweating a little. I even worked some jobs where dripping sweat was the norm. My wife is another story altogether. I'll stop there except to say that going without AC is not an option for her.

Yeah, after reflection I realize that there are ways that I can talk to my coworker and inform her of the inappropriateness of the gesture in a polite way, but at the time of writing that I was still kind of dumbstruck. I still kind of am, to be honest. I read through the highlighted passages and the message that she was emphasizing was basically, "Love even those that wrong you," which doesn't have anything to do with my pending divorce. I feel like a little kid handed me a rotting fish and said, "This will fix everything."
mouse

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds likes she is quite innocent - well, that sort of thing she will have to learn on her own.

and if it's your wife who needs the AC, is she able to help cover the cost?
Desire

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry you are going through a divorce Trevor. I think what the girl was trying to tell you was to forgive your wife? That is what it seems to me, anyway.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still didn't tell any of my family that I'm unemployed *again*.

My Grandfather went for a meal at the pub.

I am so fucking lost right now.

On the plus side: fuck knows.

Sorry for another downer post.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the thing is that I'm not mad at my wife and I don't feel wronged by her, it's really just the unfortunate, delayed realization that I don't want to spend the rest of my life with her having a direct influence on it.

And Gary, oh man have I been there. I've been unemployed three times in the last couple of years and had nothing but temp jobs when I wasn't. My dad has been unemployed for three years and feels that his career is basically being an interviewee.

Seriously, good luck.
Desire

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Gary, I hope you find a job soon! One you will like and be able to stay at as long as you wish.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

growing up in a sheltered, religious environment can really warp someone's worldview. she's most likely sincere in her intentions and probably thinks of it as the "friendly christian" thing to do, but if her behavior could cost her her job you should explain things to her.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
TIAB

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had intended to talk to her about it yesterday but had such a horrible migraine that even talking was difficult. Didn't have the opportunity today, but I will tell her that I appreciate her concern, the gesture itself was inappropriate and needlessly risky.
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last week:
* got unreasonably cross with a co-worker, who happens to be a woman I like I little too much
* got a sunburn from doing yardwork
* yet again did not get any response in a realistic timeframe to job applications, which at this point was pissing me off even tho I know most jobs aren't going to bother talking to any but the best candidates
* continued to ask sister-in-law to leave me alone when I'm pissed (I've been living in my brother's house for the last year plus, because of job problems)
* went to work on Friday still pissed, and almost immediately had a stress meltdown over all the shit I've been failing at for the last two years
* ... so I took a sick day, which is unpaid, and I badly need the money
* meltdown took two hours to recover enough from to just go home
* and in the evening the SIL tried to give me more unsolicited and useless "advice" so I blew up at her

... so I was kicked out of the house, and had to spend Sunday moving my stuff to my sister's house (as I have no other options available, I don't have real friends here), instead of going to the comic convention that I've been looking forward to for MONTHS to meet Jeff Smith.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1182, 1183, 1184 ... 1244, 1245, 1246  Next
Page 1183 of 1246

Jump to: