Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1195, 1196, 1197 ... 1235, 1236, 1237  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your friend, Dogen. I bet you'll think of something you can do to help.

Him, I had that 'cold' feeling yesterday,and I think it was dehydration. And I'm sure people have probably suggested it, but just in case - dental colleges are usually inexpensive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
Come on, Thy, out.

?????????????????????????????????
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDBZr4ie2AE
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm so sorry about your friend, dogen. i know you will think of ways to support her, and sadly, that's about all you can do.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
Come on, Thy, out.

?????????????????????????????????

He's pointing out that your response made you look like an uncaring asshole. Generally speaking when someone says a close friend is dying you respond to their emotional state - the sadness, the grief, etc. - not make sure they've planned ahead for when that person has finally died. Note how that's what everyone else did, because they know, "I don't know what to do," isn't a request for pragmatic suggestions on how to plan for the death of a friend, but an expression of overwhelming sadness.

Thanks everyone... nothing feels like I'm doing enough, but I imagine nothing will. I'm just talking to her as much as I can.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to say, "I don't know what to say, I'm sorry" or to say nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen sorry about your friend. It hurts when you can't do anything to help someone,no matter how much you want to

fritterdonut wrote:
Took my dog to the Veterinary ER at around midnight last night, he had to be put down. His lymphoma was getting worse and he could barely breathe.

It was a pretty heartbreaking car ride.

Sad Did you even know that you might have to put him down when you took him to the vet?
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martian Kyo wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
Took my dog to the Veterinary ER at around midnight last night, he had to be put down. His lymphoma was getting worse and he could barely breathe.

It was a pretty heartbreaking car ride.

Sad Did you even know that you might have to put him down when you took him to the vet?

Yeah, which made it an even more difficult decision. I think we made the right choice though. He was in a bad state, and it would have been cruel to keep him going - he was unable to sleep or lie down because he had fluid in his lungs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck sorry, really ...with pets it's hard cause you can't even tell them what's going on. They don't know they are saying goodbye....
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, my brother just lost his unemployment benefits as of today. Don't think they even gave him any warning? They just sent him something that sure as hell made it sound like he'd getting benefits through December. So much for that, I guess. He does have an interview today but I'm not holding my breath. I mean, he's been applying for jobs constantly since he got laid off 18 months ago and has had two interviews. Yup.

My mom and I get under $1700 a month from SS so this should be interesting for awhile.

eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atrophy Annie wrote:
So, my brother just lost his unemployment benefits as of today. Don't think they even gave him any warning? They just sent him something that sure as hell made it sound like he'd getting benefits through December. So much for that, I guess. He does have an interview today but I'm not holding my breath. I mean, he's been applying for jobs constantly since he got laid off 18 months ago and has had two interviews. Yup.

My mom and I get under $1700 a month from SS so this should be interesting for awhile.

Hrm, they pulled that on me when I was on unemployment. They sent me a letter saying the benefits would extend to such and such date, and then a letter saying they were over. Turns out I just had to go to the unemployment office and tell them that, "Yes, I am still unemployed." I think I signed some paperwork too.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They told him over the phone, so I'm assuming it's official. They already lowered his payments because of the sequester, so I wonder if it's related. I'll ask him a bit more about it tonight, though.

ETA: Okay, yeah, an actual person (not automated) told him over the phone. I guess there are just no more federal extensions.

Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of things getting fixed in our home we have to lock the cats in the garage. Our older cat Loki is doing fine but the youngest Tyr is stressed and it's clearly visible. He's scared and his tail is thick. It breaks my heart over and over again. I hope he doesn't think we're punishing him.

I really hope it's over tonight and that I can let the cats out. I have trouble sleeping from it the last two nights.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they will probably get over it pretty quickly. just make a fuss over them whenever you go to check on them, and then again when they do finally get to come out.

most of that cats i have known have been pretty forgiving. (part of it may be that they can't imagine what on _earth_ you could want to punish them for. it's not their fault you have all that flimsy fabric that shreds at the first touch of a claw. or that you forgot to put that nice salmon down for them - they were just saving you the trouble when they got up on the counter to eat it. or any of the other things that seem to cause you to start randomly screaming and interrupting them - what's up with that, anyway? can't you see they are busy?)
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and sorry about your brother, patty. i haven't kept track of what all the sequester has impacted, but i know congress has not been exactly over-generous in giving people things like unemployment and foodstamps and all that other stuff that might help them survive until congress decides to actually do something like get a jobs bill going. sounds like your brother got caught up in it, though - not that knowing that makes things any better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1195, 1196, 1197 ... 1235, 1236, 1237  Next
Page 1196 of 1237

Jump to: