Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1196, 1197, 1198 ... 1235, 1236, 1237  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
they will probably get over it pretty quickly. just make a fuss over them whenever you go to check on them, and then again when they do finally get to come out.

most of that cats i have known have been pretty forgiving. (part of it may be that they can't imagine what on _earth_ you could want to punish them for. it's not their fault you have all that flimsy fabric that shreds at the first touch of a claw. or that you forgot to put that nice salmon down for them - they were just saving you the trouble when they got up on the counter to eat it. or any of the other things that seem to cause you to start randomly screaming and interrupting them - what's up with that, anyway? can't you see they are busy?)

I did that and he looked a lot better. Did so again this morning and this afternoon they can come out.

xD
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been thunderstorming and raining every fucking day since mid-June and the forecast is calling for more. First cause is moisture being drawn from the Gulf, but heading our way this weekend is is tropical storm Chantal.
The ground saturated weeks ago, hot weather is making the air a mosquito-infested sauna, and parts of the road are starting to wash away. The lake is above full pool and fluctuating right around flood levels; we're in a flood watch through Friday. Farmers have already lost crops and topsoil to the excess water and its run-off.
One of the storms knocked out our well (again), which was expensive to fix. We're still having issues with our plumbing after we got the water back. Every night there's the possibility of a black-out, which is really stressing me out. It's impossible to plan outdoor activities because the weather is as unpredictable as it is unpleasant. The only hours I can squeeze in a quick dog walk before it rains again are in the hottest hours of the afternoon.
And there's no end in sight. Every day on the extended forecast is stormy. I preferred the drought of the last 10 years to this.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude....the only thing to do is learn to enjoy the rain.

Trust me, i'm from oregon, I'm in a town that lets me be a complete pedestrian.

LOVE THE RAIN WHEELS....LOOOVE ITTTTTT!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
I preferred the drought of the last 10 years to this.

silly wheels - do you not see the benefit of global warming? forget the topsoil -you can become water-farmers, and make your fortunes selling water to texas!
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can be a real life moisture farmer
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheels, send the rain back over here! When I look at the forecast, I keep seeing a week or more without rain, and it's freaking me out. And there are no clouds in the sky wtf?

Sad I am scared of that big yellow round thing in the sky, guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
mouse wrote:
they will probably get over it pretty quickly. just make a fuss over them whenever you go to check on them, and then again when they do finally get to come out.

most of that cats i have known have been pretty forgiving. (part of it may be that they can't imagine what on _earth_ you could want to punish them for. it's not their fault you have all that flimsy fabric that shreds at the first touch of a claw. or that you forgot to put that nice salmon down for them - they were just saving you the trouble when they got up on the counter to eat it. or any of the other things that seem to cause you to start randomly screaming and interrupting them - what's up with that, anyway? can't you see they are busy?)

I did that and he looked a lot better. Did so again this morning and this afternoon they can come out.

xD

If you're in that situation again, can you get anything like http://www.feliway.co.uk/ for them? We use it for our two if there's disruptions (like last year when the immersion tank leaked and we had to have huge fans all over the house to dry everything out). It seems to help, although it probably isn't for every cat.

This hot weather is kicking my arse. I've been off work for two months with a relapse, and just as I'm starting back, it starts hitting 30 degrees in the office. Heat and MS do not mix Sad
Kilgore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Dude....the only thing to do is learn to enjoy the rain.

Trust me, i'm from oregon, I'm in a town that lets me be a complete pedestrian.

LOVE THE RAIN WHEELS....LOOOVE ITTTTTT!!

The rain in Oregon is not like the rain in other parts of the country. I could go on long walks in the rain in Portland and be only slightly wet afterwards. In Virginia a short storm will often drench you.

Also, it's rarely that hot or particularly humid in Oregon, so you don't have to deal with the summer phenomenon of a heavy drenching followed by a disgusting steam bath as the 90+ degree sun broils all the water off the ground and onto your face.

What I'm getting at is that the PNW rarely has truly shitty weather, so you can't really give people advice about dealing with it based on your experiences in Oregon. Just pat yourself on the back for living in an Eden-like paradise and let it ride.

-Slick
Kilgore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of horrors, I got prickly heat for the first time last week. We were in the field for a five days and got rained on 6 or 7 times. Between the rain and sweat you couldn't get dry, so everyone ended up with heat rash, blisters, and the early stages of trench-foot. We go out again in a week.

Also, did you know that if you burn a lot of energy for long enough your body will run out of carbs and start converting protein to glucose for energy? And that when it does your body starts secreting urea through your sweat glands, so you smell like an open sewer? Good times.

-Slick
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called gluconeogenesis ("making new glucose"), but I didn't know it made you smell like a sewer. Fun! You were either burning an awful lot of calories or not eating enough. Is the Army not treating you right?
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
It's called gluconeogenesis ("making new glucose"), but I didn't know it made you smell like a sewer.

Maybe not a sewer but yeah it's a stank. Goes away after some time though.

Jinx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
It's called gluconeogenesis ("making new glucose"), but I didn't know it made you smell like a sewer. Fun! You were either burning an awful lot of calories or not eating enough. Is the Army not treating you right?

*cough* Marine Corp *cough*
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I apologize. I should have looked it up before posting. Sorry, Kilgore!
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
It's been thunderstorming and raining every fucking day since mid-June and the forecast is calling for more.

I can't lie, i'm intensely fucking jealous of wherever you are living.

I am never happier than during a thunderstorm
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway i'm in a flat fucking wide-ranging implications life horror

my job pays amazingly and i am really good at it. but it turns out to be unethical and terrible. I have to be at this job for at least three months to be on target for my travel and education plans. But I can't do that, I consider the job immoral. It just turned out to be really bad.

I'm waffling. I need to know the best way to drop out of this. I don't know if I can even go with giving them two weeks notice. Which I will, of course, after hedging about this a bunch, toying with the idea of pulling a no call no show for the first time in my life, then giving up on that and just doing this sort of 'professionally.'

Then comes about three months of slumming and blue collar jobs to save for mid-fall.

Argh I am purposefully derailing my career aaarg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1196, 1197, 1198 ... 1235, 1236, 1237  Next
Page 1197 of 1237

Jump to: