welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1247, 1248, 1249 ... 1252, 1253, 1254  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm tasked with backing up data for a work project.

Turns out that the software we use creates metafiles for all of it's objects.

Like, a LOT of metafiles.

Like, 40,000 metafiles are so.

And that's in just 1 folder out of 16 that I need to back up.

With a spotty FTP connection that likes to disconnect randomly.

fun
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to explain to friends on FB why we're not all going to die of Ebola now that we brought back two aid workers with it.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to explain the economics and ecological effects of fire suppression to FB friends.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finding out someone i stopped talking to years ago still makes comments on my cousin's facebook pictures. (on top of whimpering all over another friend's feminist posts. ugh.)

there's also the small chance that he comes here like a creepy stalker, but there is always that chance and i hope if he does he'll see me telling him to Fuck Right Off and stop being weird.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember facebook in general being pretty horrible

y'know, back when I had a facebook account
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Trying to explain to friends on FB why we're not all going to die of Ebola now that we brought back two aid workers with it.

"Show me your proof," they said. Oh yes. Yeeeessssss.

9 citations later:

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait a minute, you mean people who are wrong about science can be convinced that they are wrong about science? using science?

what wizardry is this
Him

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

I thought it said in the Terms & Conditions that you can't quit.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebola is so not scary it's scary how scary it is to people. Like, the gulf between actual-epidemiological-threat and people's media-inflamed response to the disease is itself the scariest part of the story.

Chomsky can scuttle back on down from "Manufacturing Consent" to approach "Manufacturing Pandemic Fear"
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:

I thought it said in the Terms & Conditions that you can't quit.

nah, you just have to sign the deletion request in triplicate and submit it with a minor blood sacrifice
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Dogen wrote:

"Show me your proof," they said. Oh yes. Yeeeessssss.

9 citations later:

I have use for said aforementioned citations, show me.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a clever guy, do you really need me to do your research for you? The nature of the conversation was around whether it was "generally accepted" that Ebola is less infectious than some other diseases, and whether it was likewise generally accepted that having two cases in a sealed plastic box in GA would not cause an outbreak. So, the citations are mostly news stories quoting experts or NGO/government agency websites of infection/death statistics. If those tickle your fancy, I'm happy to share.

Sam wrote:
Ebola is so not scary it's scary how scary it is to people. Like, the gulf between actual-epidemiological-threat and people's media-inflamed response to the disease is itself the scariest part of the story.

There's a small faction of fringe people who are getting undue amounts of attention pulling a Chicken Little. The unfortunate nature of our media is that crazy people like Donald Trump can get more air time than the handful of experts who actually know what they're talking about and aren't worried. Tara C. Smith even noted that we've had cases of hemorrhagic fever (Lassa and Marsburg) in the US before without an outbreak. And those people weren't shipped in hermetically sealed envelopes.
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:

Not getting Ebola is actually pretty simple. Just don't fucking touch somebody with Ebola. The only reason it is spreading through West Africa is because traditional African healing methods (which are based in superstition and bullshit) involve a LOT of touching and "blessing" of a person's body to purify them. Needless to say the results are disastrous.

Ebola is only a problem in Africa because the areas of the continent affected aren't developed enough to replace traditional medicine with modern medicine. This is mostly because traditional medicine is free or cheap and can be passed down while modern medicine is pricey as fuck and requires nearly a decade of expensive post-secondary education.

Also, for fans of the online game Pandemic (not the board game that everyone always loses), think of Ebola as a disease that scores too high on lethality. If a disease kills its host it can't spread nearly because the host is no longer ambulatory. The death rates for the three known existing strains of Ebola are between 70 and 95%.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought there was also a problem with some african funeral practices? people washing the body and then touching it during the funeral - but i thought there was something about some of that have been reduced with education.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabberjay wrote:
Not getting Ebola is actually pretty simple. Just don't fucking touch somebody with Ebola. The only reason it is spreading through West Africa is because traditional African healing methods (which are based in superstition and bullshit) involve a LOT of touching and "blessing" of a person's body to purify them. Needless to say the results are disastrous.

There are a lot of reasons why it's spreading. I'm not sure having traditions based on superstition and bullshit is a recognized one, but points for being so ethnocentric. Rather than acting like a huge dick and placing blame on the culture, we could probably more constructively talk about things that actually matter like access to adequate medical care, education, and the fact that the natural reservoir for the family of Filoviridae is unknown (possibly fruit bats), which limits the possibility of preventing the disease (as opposed to malaria, where the reservoir [mosquitoes] is known).

Quote:
The death rates for the three known existing strains of Ebola are between 70 and 95%.

There are five known strains (Zaire, Sudan, Cote d'Ivoire/Tai Forest, Reston, and Bundibugyo). The four that cause hemorrhagic fever have mortality rates of about 34-90% (depending on your source), with the Zaire subtype being the most deadly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1247, 1248, 1249 ... 1252, 1253, 1254  Next
Page 1248 of 1254

Jump to: