Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World Baseball Classic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HKVeteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: World Baseball Classic Reply with quote

Felt like making a new thread talking about the World Baseball Classic because it's on my mind (and my TV as of this writing).

Anyway, Israel's debut is impressive. Beating Korea 2-1 in 10 innings, and (at the moment) beating Taiwan (or "Chinese Taipei", to be official) 6-0.

More updates as event's allow, maybe.
HKVeteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
The Netherlands beat Korea Yesterday and have just beat Chinese Taipei on a WALK OFF WALK! Literally bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, two outs, full count, AND THE PITCHER WALKED HIM! Anyway, The Netherlands face Israel tonight (the other undefeated team).

Elsewhere, Japan has beaten Cuba and Australia, and Cuba also has beaten China.

That's all I have for now.
Chronometry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course Great Britain didn't even get out of the qualifiers.

We were probably confused by the shape of the bat, and the fact that you have to run in a diamond rather than back and forth.

This poster is a white cismale heterosexual. Feel free to ignore him if he starts speaking nonsense.
HKVeteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chronometry wrote:
And of course Great Britain didn't even get out of the qualifiers.

We were probably confused by the shape of the bat, and the fact that you have to run in a diamond rather than back and forth.

Great Britain was in the same Qualifier Pool as Israel who has been killing it so far.
HKVeteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

The four teams that are advancing to the second round (so far) are The Kingdom of the Netherlands, Israel, Japan, and Cuba. Those four teams will face each other in their own pool for a chance to get to the knockout round. China and Chinese Taipei will have to qualify for the 2021 WBC.

Meanwhile, Pools C & D have started with Italy posting a big upset over Mexico, and the Dominican Republic defeating Canada.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My money is on Cuba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HKVeteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick Update:

USA beat Columbia in ten, and Puerto Rico beat Venezuela pretty hard.

As of this writing a big day is about to begin:
Columbia takes on Canada, Venezuela faces Italy, Dominican Republic squares off against USA, Puerto Rico will play Mexico, and finally a second round game from Tokyo, Cuba vs. Israel.
HKVeteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

A big day yesterday, and a big day today.
Yesterday Columbia beat Canada 4-1. Venezuela beat Italy 11-10 in ten innings, Dominican Republic beat USA 7-5, and Puerto Rico beat Mexico 9-4. Today is the final set of games for the first round, with Dominican Republic vs Columbia (tied 1-1 in the second as of this writing), Italy vs. Puerto Rico, Canada vs. USA, and Mexico vs. Venezuela. The top two teams in each pool will advance to the second round Pool F. Speaking of second round...

Second Round Pool E has already started in Tokyo, with Israel beating Cuba 4-1, and Japan beating the Kingdom of the Netherlands 8-6. The next two games are Netherlands vs. Israel Monday 6AM Eastern, and Cuba vs. Japan Tuesday 6AM Eastern.

And I've just noticed I forgot to put links.

https://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/ For the home page
https://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/schedule/ For the schedule
https://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/bracket For the bracket
HKVeteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Yesterday was supposed to be the final day of Round 1 games but alas it was not to be.

Dominican Republic crushed Columbia 10-3 and USA beat Canada 8-0. Dominican Republic and USA are through to the second round from Pool C.

Pool D is a little more confusing Puerto Rico beat Italy 9-3 and Mexico beat Venezuela 11-9. This means that Puerto Rico advances but there has to be a tie breaker between Italy and Venezuela (who are both 1-2 in Pool D play), with Mexico (who is ALSO 1-2) being knocked out. This article has a better explanation than I could give.

So there is one more Round one game today, a rematch of Italy and Venezuela. But also Poll E has continued with the Netherlands beating Israel 12-2. Retribution for the Round 1 matchup that had Israel the victor.
Cuba and Japan face off early tomorrow morning in their own rematch.
HKVeteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Pool F has started but Pool E is finished. After Netherlands beat Israel, Japan beat Cuba 8-5 to knock them out of the competition. If that wasn't enough, Cuba then faced The Netherlands and got creamed 14-1. Then Japan beat Israel 8-3 to knock Israel out. This leaves the two teams advancing to the Semifinals as Japan and The Netherlands.

Pool F has only played one game so far with Dominican Republic losing to Puerto Rico 3-1. Tonight USA takes on Venezuela (who beat Italy in the tiebreaker).
HKVeteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

There is one more game left in pool play before the Semifinals.

The USA beat Venezuela 4-2, then lost to Puerto Rico by one run 6-5.

Dominican Republic, who lost to Puerto Rico, beat Venezuela 3-0.

Puerto Rico clobbered Venezuela 13-2 and will enter the Semifinals undefeated in the Classic and face the Netherlands.

Dominican Republic and USA face off tonight in a rematch of their Round 1 game (which Dominican Republic won) for the fourth and last spot in the Semifinals, where they will face Japan.

The tournament is winding down and heating up.
HKVeteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking:

The United States has just defeated the defending champions Dominican Republic 6-3 as of this writing. The semifinals are now set:

The Netherlands vs. Puerto Rico on Monday

USA vs. Japan on Tuesday

The winners of those two games will face each other Wednesday for the Championship.
Chronometry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puerto Rico defeated The Netherlands 4-3.

Team USA beat Japan 2-1.

And surprising absolutely no-one, Team USA wins the tournament against Puerto Rico with a 8-0 shutout.

Marcus Stroman of Team USA is the tournament MVP.

This poster is a white cismale heterosexual. Feel free to ignore him if he starts speaking nonsense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: