Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yo, anybody up for talking mythology
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OlympianSoul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Yo, anybody up for talking mythology Reply with quote

Just thought that this would be a fun subject. Like we could talk about the altering depictions of specific monsters between cultures, or how ancient religions would assimilate different gods into their primary deity.
If you want, we could even talk about the mythification of various historical figures; such as alexander, or Joan d'Arc.
Taemon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo, I love mythology! I'm especially up for trickster gods. I wonder, does anyone have a good book about native American trickster gods, like Raven? I have read so much mythology, but it's mainly Northern and Greek. I want to expand my horizon.
KALXAK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much, but I like it a lot! Anybody here know about Harpies? I know they are usually depicted as villains, but I read a few things on wiki and similar websites, and they are actually more than that - like wind gods and carriers of evildoers. Also, I read that they also exist on japanese mitology, but I can't find the information anywhere now... I'm wondering if they got confused with tengus...
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
Yo, I love mythology! I'm especially up for trickster gods. I wonder, does anyone have a good book about native American trickster gods, like Raven? I have read so much mythology, but it's mainly Northern and Greek. I want to expand my horizon.

it's not exactly about him, but Giving Birth to Thunder, Sleeping with His Daughter (Barry Lopez) is a collection of tales about Coyote from a number of tribes.
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love mythology... though, I'm a huge fan of modernizations and I gather that's frowned upon by a lot of people.

There's a podcast called Myths and Legends that I really enjoy. I think he does a really great job of mixing the old stories with some fun modern elements and occasional commentary.
OlympianSoul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KALXAK wrote:
I don't know much, but I like it a lot! Anybody here know about Harpies? I know they are usually depicted as villains, but I read a few things on wiki and similar websites, and they are actually more than that - like wind gods and carriers of evildoers. Also, I read that they also exist on japanese mitology, but I can't find the information anywhere now... I'm wondering if they got confused with tengus...

In Greek mythology there were actually several creatures similar to Harpies, but they had different roles. For example, Furies were three bird like woman, who lived in the underworld, but would come to the world of the living to punish Oath breakers, the prideful, and those who commit matricide. I hope that helps a little Very Happy
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OlympianSoul wrote:
KALXAK wrote:

In Greek mythology there were actually several creatures similar to Harpies, but they had different roles. For example, Furies were three bird like woman, who lived in the underworld, but would come to the world of the living to punish Oath breakers, the prideful, and those who commit matricide. I hope that helps a little Very Happy

Harpies and Furies do not share the same origins, Stryx (stryges (Fr) or Strygoi (Ro)) might be a closer kin. Still, by and large, Harpies are 'evil' even if they can act sometimes on gods' behalf.

afaik, there is no equivalent to Harpies in Japan. Tengu more known for their big...nose, are most often associated with pride and war. In Japan, if you're talking about someone and make a fist and hold it up in front of your nose, index facing you littlefinger away, and you're calling that person proud and/or arrogant, like a Tengu.
OlympianSoul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sam the Eagle"]
OlympianSoul wrote:
KALXAK wrote:

Harpies and Furies do not share the same origins, Stryx (stryges (Fr) or Strygoi (Ro)) might be a closer kin. Still, by and large, Harpies are 'evil' even if they can act sometimes on gods' behalf.

True, they have different origins, but they share similar appearances, with both monsters often being depicted as half bird, and half humen. They also share a role as punishers, with the Harpies acting as a punishment for blind profit Phineus, and would steal any food he tried to eat.
KALXAK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="OlympianSoul"]
Sam the Eagle wrote:
OlympianSoul wrote:
KALXAK wrote:

True, they have different origins, but they share similar appearances, with both monsters often being depicted as half bird, and half humen. They also share a role as punishers, with the Harpies acting as a punishment for blind profit Phineus, and would steal any food he tried to eat.

this is all very interesting, actually. can you give any links where I can read more about the subjects you guys brought up?
OlympianSoul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KALXAK"]
OlympianSoul wrote:
Sam the Eagle wrote:
OlympianSoul wrote:
KALXAK wrote:

this is all very interesting, actually. can you give any links where I can read more about the subjects you guys brought up?

http://www.theoi.com/Pontios/Harpyiai.
htmlhttps://www.britannica.com/topic/tengu
These are pages about Harpies, and Tengu, if you poke around them a bit, I'm sure you'll find something about the two, and a few other myths as well. However, I do recommend dropping by your libraries mythology section, and reading up on myths that catch your eye.
KALXAK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
KALXAK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="OlympianSoul"]
KALXAK wrote:
OlympianSoul wrote:
Sam the Eagle wrote:
OlympianSoul wrote:
KALXAK wrote:

http://www.theoi.com/Pontios/Harpyiai.
htmlhttps://www.britannica.com/topic/tengu
These are pages about Harpies, and Tengu, if you poke around them a bit, I'm sure you'll find something about the two, and a few other myths as well. However, I do recommend dropping by your libraries mythology section, and reading up on myths that catch your eye.

oh, the links look broken... one of them gives a 404 page an the other won't load for life... i'll try to figure it out
KALXAK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i figured
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="OlympianSoul"]
Sam the Eagle wrote:
OlympianSoul wrote:
KALXAK wrote:

On appearance see my point about stryx (not the owl of course). And Erynies (if we stick to Greek nomenclatura) are born of Titans, not gods. Not sure about how they appear, but each is named : Alecto, Megere and Pasiphae (not sure about spelling on this one). So they may be the end result of a previous cult that was cast down when a new male religion came up (*). Also may be related to Moirai (Parques in latin)

*: Speaking out of my ass here, beside ..Patriarchy!!!

But yes, elder cults gave way to newer ones and old gods got downgraded as a result. E.g Tyr in the northern mythos
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam the Eagle wrote:
But yes, elder cults gave way to newer ones and old gods got downgraded as a result. E.g Tyr in the northern mythos

He definitely didn't have as big a hand in the later Nordic myths as he did previously. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: