welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

11.08.07 - I Can't Change 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blarg.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah one of the oldest ones "Crazed god Fanboy" or something, and I don't feel like looking for it, but he makes fun of him for being a crazy god fanyboy by making a poster out of it.
KDX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, Slick is right, most of the time God is a prick. Some people think he represents everything everything, good, right , and wise. Truth is, God is just powerful, that's it. And sometimes, power makes you do stupid things, like be a prick.

As for the "little pains," people want fixed. Most of the time when they turn to God for answers, they don't really need them fixed. They want answers. I don't recall in the previous strips Slick asking for a quick fix, he was simply looking for solice, or confirmation that his train of thought was correct.

Frankly, as an "imperfect mortal" he's got every right to be pissed about God's response. If God wasn't going to take the challenges of man seriously, and yes, all of them, then he probably shouldn't have bothered in the first place.

Now all the Seymours of the world will call me a blasphemer, or all the forum junkies will scream first post noob, even though I've been reading the comic for much longer then this; whatever.
Blarg.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDX wrote:
Meh, Slick is right, most of the time God is a prick. Some people think he represents everything everything, good, right , and wise. Truth is, God is just powerful, that's it. And sometimes, power makes you do stupid things, like be a prick.

As for the "little pains," people want fixed. Most of the time when they turn to God for answers, they don't really need them fixed. They want answers. I don't recall in the previous strips Slick asking for a quick fix, he was simply looking for solice, or confirmation that his train of thought was correct.

Frankly, as an "imperfect mortal" he's got every right to be pissed about God's response. If God wasn't going to take the challenges of man seriously, and yes, all of them, then he probably shouldn't have bothered in the first place.

Now all the Seymours of the world will call me a blasphemer, or all the forum junkies will scream first post noob, even though I've been reading the comic for much longer then this; whatever.

NOOB, haha just kidding, but I think the whole first post comment was unnecesary, but you're right, God should really care more about those that seek to go to heaven.
Secret

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blarg. wrote:
NOOB,

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.
Pytheus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you want to talk Real Life mythology on god's involvement in humanities problems, well he has never took direct interest in the subject. All reported human interaction with god as always in every case been "a messenger of god" AKA an angel. No human to my knowledge of the monotheistic religion has ever talked directly to god. Everything has been second hand.

Which all makes sense if you believe he gave us free will to do whatever we want. Ultimately, in my beliefs, life is a test and a method of teaching. Leaving us alone to do as we will and just watching how it works out will show our true nature. Showing us what to do will make us repeat the lessons, but does it truly show who we are? Its like giving the answers to a test, you don't really learn anything. So there is no real answers to how to deal with life, just the ones we made for ourselves.

Sorry if I'm being to philosophical. Religions just interest me.
Blarg.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure there was Adam and Eve, but I haven't read the first few pages of the bible in 6 years... Does Slick seem taller, and or scruffier, something appears to be different about him, maybe the more he matures the taller he gets? I don't know, he just looks more different than usual, compared to Seymour anywho.
ktern

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blarg. wrote:
Does Slick seem taller

Probably just Seymour and changes in the art style.

Pytheus wrote:
Well if you want to talk Real Life mythology on god's involvement in humanities problems, well he has never took direct interest in the subject. All reported human interaction with god as always in every case been "a messenger of god" AKA an angel. No human to my knowledge of the monotheistic religion has ever talked directly to god. Everything has been second hand.

What does the flaming bush count as?
Pytheus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burning Bush?
Quote:
the angel of the LORD appeared to him in a blazing fire from the midst of a bush; and he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, yet the bush was not consumed.

I could get the exact name of the angel but its buried in my book somewhere and its rather large.

And for adam and eve. I think it was Micheal speaking for god but I have to look that up to. Its always an angel speaking for god.

A good reference book is A Dictionary of Angels by Gustav Davidson. Its a very good collection of angels and their roles throughout all religious text.
YenTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDX wrote:

going off of some of the other interpretations sinfesters have posted for this arc, it's worth noting:

not acting serious about slick's problems does not necessarily indicate that god doesn't take them seriously.
In fact, it could be that making fun of slick is actually the best way to help him or answer his question.
How many straight answers did socrates give on an average day?

Last edited by YenTheFirst on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
YenTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pytheus wrote:

And for adam and eve. I think it was Micheal speaking for god but I have to look that up to. Its always an angel speaking for god.

genesis chapter 3 wrote:

8And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.

9And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?

in the king james version of the bible, at least, the words
'angel', 'messenger', 'agent', 'prophet' do not appear in those first 3 chapters at all.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moses had a number of interactions with god, and god certainly spoke for himself in job.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the angels were removed from the bible so they didnt distract from the fact the God was all powerful.

Thats the whole reason several of the books of the bible were removed. Including the book of Enoch and the Book of Adam and Eve (I believe was the name of it, talks about adams first wife.) The removed books were usually around the involvement of "other" angels in daily life. Michael Gabriel and Raphael are the only acknowledged angels, while Uriel and the others get the boot.

Kind of hard to take something seriously when it can be changed on whim by people who dont like it. You would think that they wouldnt want to edit the "Word of God."
Brain.Damage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the Angels were put in the bible during medival periods...

Only the arch angels ever popped up constantly in the "original" bible.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brain.Damage wrote:

Only the arch angels ever popped up constantly in the "original" bible.

Of which there are supposedly 7. Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, Selaphiel, Jegudiel, and Barachiel. There is mention of more, possible thousands depending on where you get the info from, but generally there are only 7.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Thats the whole reason several of the books of the bible were removed. Including the book of Enoch and the Book of Adam and Eve (I believe was the name of it, talks about adams first wife.)

Your post demonstrates deep misunderstanding about how the Bible got put together. No books were removed, until the Protestants cut out the Apocrypha in the sixteenth century.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: