welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

November 24th - Pussy-whipped
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aulute wrote:
A commentary on Tat's current financial status? We must all buy more Sinfest swag!

I was also wondering if it was a commentary on his relationship status (not that I know what it is) - but, in British English at least, "pussy-whipped" means a man is under the thumb of his woman, so I'm guessing the tagline was an intentional double-sided pun. Do you Americans and other aliens use the phrase "pussy-whipped" (not being sarcastic, being genuinely curious)?
Aulute

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most Americans shorten it to just "whipped". I personally haven't heard it with pussy attached, but the meaning is pretty clear from the word itself and it has more of a punch than plain old "whipped", so maybe other people do use it over here.
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aulute wrote:
Quote:
EDIT: Where DOES Tat's income stem from, anyway?

Guys, guys! I think I found something. Check this out: http://shika.naist.jp/30e130f330fc-1/students/view?set_language=en and scroll down to the section titled 2nd Year Master Program. Compare that picture to the one on Tat's Wikipedia article. I see similarities, especially in the mouth area, but it is hard to tell when you have pictures from separate angles. Plus, glasses. So maybe he works at a "Communications Laboratory"?! But no more information can be gleaned from the page Sad

AZN all look alike lol!
zeezee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aulute wrote:
Quote:
EDIT: Where DOES Tat's income stem from, anyway?

Guys, guys! I think I found something. Check this out: http://shika.naist.jp/30e130f330fc-1/students/view?set_language=en and scroll down to the section titled 2nd Year Master Program. Compare that picture to the one on Tat's Wikipedia article. I see similarities, especially in the mouth area, but it is hard to tell when you have pictures from separate angles. Plus, glasses. So maybe he works at a "Communications Laboratory"?! But no more information can be gleaned from the page Sad

check out starfleet assistant professor Ryusuke Miyamoto: http://shika.naist.jp/30e130f330fc-1/staff

zeezee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

filecore wrote:
I was also wondering if it was a commentary on his relationship status (not that I know what it is) - but, in British English at least, "pussy-whipped" means a man is under the thumb of his woman, so I'm guessing the tagline was an intentional double-sided pun.
i think he's just referring to his being whipped by percy, but it makes a nice double entendre for the tagline.

filecore wrote:
Do you Americans and other aliens use the phrase "pussy-whipped" (not being sarcastic, being genuinely curious)?
Aulute wrote:
I think most Americans shorten it to just "whipped". I personally haven't heard it with pussy attached, but the meaning is pretty clear from the word itself and it has more of a punch than plain old "whipped", so maybe other people do use it over here.
i believe it started out as "pussy-whipped" here, shortened to "whipped" because everybody heard the implied "pussy" in it.

magic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeezee wrote:
i believe it started out as "pussy-whipped" here, shortened to "whipped" because everybody heard the implied "pussy" in it.

If I were to speculate as well, I suppose a lot of language usage gets adapted from mainstream media and entertainment too, where they need to shorten it, to avoid the spelling that alerts the media watchdogs, because as we all know, even if we all know the intended meaning of the word, it is a lot worse if you actually spell it out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The site attracts a slightly more female than male, more youthful, HH income up to $60k audience.The typical visitor reads Salon and visits gamefaqs.com.

...Creeeeepy.
andrew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret wrote:
...Creeeeepy.

How so?
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Brother is watching you.
Secret

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know I didn't reveal my gender, income, or browsing habits upon accessing Sinfest.
andrew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh...are you using your own computer?

'Cause if you are, odds are, yeah, you did.

Edit to clarify: or at least, revealed several anonymous usage statistics routinely collected by most systems, which this particular site is probably organizing based on something like first/last name and/or IP.
Funkentelechy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeezee wrote:

check out starfleet assistant professor Ryusuke Miyamoto: http://shika.naist.jp/30e130f330fc-1/staff

Nice find. Laughing
Funkentelechy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magic wrote:
zeezee wrote:

If I were to speculate as well, I suppose a lot of language usage gets adapted from mainstream media and entertainment too, where they need to shorten it, to avoid the spelling that alerts the media watchdogs, because as we all know, even if we all know the intended meaning of the word, it is a lot worse if you actually spell it out.

Most likely, yeah. I still hear "pussy-whipped" from time to time. And even "dick-whipped" on occasion.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last panel, Percy has either four legs and no tail or three legs and a tail. Can't tell which. Otherwise, funny.

I say Pooch eats Percy's food in the next strip. Feline freakage to follow.
Secret

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew wrote:
Uh...are you using your own computer?

'Cause if you are, odds are, yeah, you did.

Edit to clarify: or at least, revealed several anonymous usage statistics routinely collected by most systems, which this particular site is probably organizing based on something like first/last name and/or IP.

So how, exactly, does this ad service tell what other sites I've been visiting? Does it use tracking cookies? And does it use those sites to predict age and income, or what now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: