welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

15th December 2007 - A Beautiful Disaster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Secret

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pytheus wrote:
There is right and wrong, but I don't think evil is always the result of wrong.

wtf. What the hell is 'wrong' with you?

Quote:
Life seems pointless if its already mapped out for you.

Bzzt, subjective opinion.

Quote:
Sure god may know what happens, but he doesn't control what we do or how we think.

wtf. How can you assume a determined future and free will in the same sentence?

Quote:
What do we define life as.

Capability for homeostasis, reproduction, metabolism, etc.

Quote:
We aren't preprogrammed software.

Prove it.

Quote:
we evolved beyond our original design and do things we were not specifically intended to do.

Wait, wait, wait. This statement is so blindingly vague I can't even begin to answer it. Are you implying that humans were made with an 'original design' by God? Where does evolution fit into any of that? What, exactly, were we 'intended' to do? And why is this quote so incredibly useless as an argument?

Quote:
This is all pure speculation.

I noticed.
Secret

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vox Raucus wrote:
Query: Since "good" and "evil" are subjective descriptors, which largely differ from context to context, can we even speak of God creating either?

I'm no ethicist, but it seems to me that the subjectivity of a term such as "good" points to the fact that it's a human concept.

Secret wrote:
...aaaand who set up the universe so that we would view things as evil?

Azmoten

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All arguments about God, summarized:

God doesn't exist because humans did this, and then we did that, and maybe later we'll do something else! Also OMGFOZZILS RABBLERABBLERABBLE
_

GOD MADE IT THAT WAY RAHRAHRAH

_

End.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

OMFG!!!!! This just made me super happy:

wiki wrote:
On September 20, 2007 it was confirmed that a version of the game is in development for the Nintendo DS.[2] Very little has been revealed so far, except that it will allow 4 players to play over a wireless connection and that the release date in Japan is 31st December 2007.[3]

FUCK YEAH!

Im gonna have to agree.
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pytheus wrote:
Snorri wrote:

It's quite simple.
God created everything. God also knows everything that will happen. So basically he knew what he was getting into.

Well thats boring. If I was a god I would create everything, give my creations the ability to do what they wanted and see what would happen. The argument is fate verse free will. If its fated to happen then free will doesn't exist and we are predestined to do whatever god wanted. But if we have free will then we can do things that maybe god didn't anticipate. If life is a test then whats the point if god already knows the outcome?

God is all-knowing. He knows what the fuck was going to happen, he is never suprised.

Pytheus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How can you assume a determined future and free will in the same sentence?

I don't. God can see the future but its our free will that determine it. Not some grand design he thought up.

Dam secret lighten up. Told you not to take it so serious. This is all theorycraft, no real substance to any of this. Doesn't matter what is the right answer cause there is none.
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pytheus wrote:
Quote:
How can you assume a determined future and free will in the same sentence?

I don't. God can see the future but its our free will that determine it. Not some grand design he thought up.

No but he knew supposedly what would happen, right? So he created us knowing fully well that we would fuck up the entire world.

Also, if God knows what will happen isn't the way he created us the grand design?

Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret wrote:
...aaaand who set up the universe so that we would view things as evil?

Vox Raucus wrote:
..."good" and "evil" are subjective descriptors, which largely differ from context to context...

Point is, we don't come preprogrammed with concepts of good and evil. They're socially constructed. If you're going to blame God for the human capacity for ethical reasoning, he should also get the credit for your rebuttal of Pytheus' vacuous opinions.
Pytheus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Snorri, you could look at it that way. But then you would have to think. If he did this all on purpose and set rules for us to live by, fully knowing we would fuck up and dam us to eternal surffering in hell. Well thats one sadistic god. Thats one way of looking at it.

But I don't personally believe in hell. Reincarnation makes more sense in that case. Living many lives till we get things right. In that case it doesn't matter how things play out cause eventually things will work itself out, however long it takes us. So he wouldn't need to plan much out.
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pytheus wrote:
Well Snorri, you could look at it that way. But then you would have to think. If he did this all on purpose and set rules for us to live by, fully knowing we would fuck up and dam us to eternal surffering in hell. Well thats one sadistic god. Thats one way of looking at it.

Indeed.
Quote:

But I don't personally believe in hell. Reincarnation makes more sense in that case. Living many lives till we get things right. In that case it doesn't matter how things play out cause eventually things will work itself out, however long it takes us. So he wouldn't need to plan much out.

Well that may be, but that's not in the Bible, which really is what I'm talking about.

DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about reincarnation I dont get is the population is always increasing, where are all the extra souls coming from? Or are souls being watered down and reincarnated in 2 bodies?
Lemontree

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

OMFG!!!!! This just made me super happy:

wiki wrote:
On September 20, 2007 it was confirmed that a version of the game is in development for the Nintendo DS.[2] Very little has been revealed so far, except that it will allow 4 players to play over a wireless connection and that the release date in Japan is 31st December 2007.[3]

FUCK YEAH!

That made me super happy as well! Very Happy
reasonablymad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
The thing about reincarnation I dont get is the population is always increasing, where are all the extra souls coming from?

other planets.
reasonablymad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, this is how it's possible:

wiki wrote:
Estimates of the number of human beings who have ever lived on Earth constitute an extremely large range, with low estimates around 45 billion, and the highest estimates topping out around 125 billion. Many of the more robust estimates fall into the range of 90 to 110 billion humans.

so even at the lowest estimate, 45 billion, we are left with about 38 billion souls that are not corporate at the moment. of course it gets fuzzy because then you have to take into account all sorts of factors like a fixed number of souls or not, lowest population level historically, what all those billions of souls did when there was only a few million bodies around at a time, souls that are reincarnating more often than others, etc. but I think that there is enough room in the numbers to account for our current population, which is obviously the largest its ever been - as long as you assume that not every soul reincarnates at the same frequency.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are the souls taking numbers like at the deli?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: