welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obama FTW!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 275, 276, 277  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canadian system may be better ideally, but there's really not much difference in operation except that it gives a greater variety of positions to represent voters. In a majority government, it's virtually the same as the American one, with the same amount of railroading policy through. Honestly, the party leaders in Canada come off as incompetent pricks most of the time. But that's the hazard of politics, I guess.

The fact that any potential party needs to get a certain percentage of the popular vote (8% I think?) before they qualify for federal funding for their political party helps cut down on the amount of parties, otherwise they'd proliferate like rabbits.
Prop3R

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a link to a single listing of cantidate's stances and view points on issues? In years past I found webpages with side-by-side comparisons on "Abortion","Iraq","Healthcare" etc. The ones I've come across now are either biased in support of one cantidate or biased against others. Aw who I'm kidding I'll vote for whoever Carson Daly tells me too. You Rock my vote Obama!
OriginalCrazyone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama will probably get my vote if Ron Paul loses therepublican primary (probably will happen)

So who would make a good running mate? I could see Obama and Edwards together... I doubt if queen hillary would accept a lesser position (that's why bill went for monica in the first place, isn't it?) so for her it will probably be all or nothing....

would hillary have bill as her running mate? could he be anyones running mate given that he already served 2 terms in the hot seat, could he be president again if something was to happen to require it?if bill was on the ticket, his partner would have my vote...
-OcO-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And moving on to South Carolina...
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret wrote:
...And moving on to South Carolina...

If [he] can make it there,
[he] can make it anywhere...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, 01/07/08

* Obama defeats McCain by 17 points.
* Obama defeats Huckabee by 23 points.
* Obama defeats Romney by 26 points.
* Obama defeats Giuliani by 40 points.

Today, 01/07/08

* McCain defeats Clinton by 4 points (within the margin of sampling error).
* Huckabee and Clinton tie.
* Clinton defeats Romney by 8 points.
* Clinton defeats Giuliani by 16 points.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that in the entire country, or just new hampshire?

and where is edwards in all this? the poor man came in second in iowa, but it's still an obama-clinton contest?
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a country projection.
thewaitersitsondown

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you people dare get my hopes up for your sorry-ass country. I mean it, I'm wearing a blanket on my lap for warmth and it has turned me into a crotchety old man. You don't want a lashing from my cane!
Secret

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, uh, does McCain have a chance in the primaries outside New Hampshire.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret wrote:
So, uh, does McCain have a chance in the primaries outside New Hampshire.

That depends a lot on how he does in NH. He's broke, so if he doesn't get numbers in NH to start fueling his campaign he'll be pushing the Straight Talk Express. He's got a good chance of showing well there, however, since he's spent damn near every waking moment in the state.

Vox Raucus wrote:
The Canadian system may be better ideally, but there's really not much difference in operation except that it gives a greater variety of positions to represent voters. In a majority government, it's virtually the same as the American one, with the same amount of railroading policy through. Honestly, the party leaders in Canada come off as incompetent pricks most of the time. But that's the hazard of politics, I guess.

There are definitely shortcomings to the Canadian system (like the whole Conservative party - badum-bum!), but I can't help but notice that you've legalized gay marriage*, are ranked considerably higher by Privacy International for privacy rights and are ranked 4th by the UN of the best countries to live in, compared to our 12th place. You came damn near decriminalizing marijuana, too, except for the election of the aforementioned Conservatives (and their used car salesman PM, Harper, who ironically enough took his seat from Preston Manning). If you can fight off Alberta's desire to privatize health care (look how well it works for us!) I'd say you aren't doing so bad.

* by the legislature, no less, plus most marriage benefits have been extended to same-sex couples for almost a decade - the only bill we've seen come up is a proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.
Him

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OriginalCrazyone wrote:
Obama will probably get my vote if Ron Paul loses therepublican primary (probably will happen)

So who would make a good running mate? I could see Obama and Edwards together... I doubt if queen hillary would accept a lesser position (that's why bill went for monica in the first place, isn't it?) so for her it will probably be all or nothing....

would hillary have bill as her running mate? could he be anyones running mate given that he already served 2 terms in the hot seat, could he be president again if something was to happen to require it?if bill was on the ticket, his partner would have my vote...
-OcO-
I take it you are unaware of Obamas stance on foreign politics? Or, for that matter, Ron Pauls shady friends in the ultraright and the absolute joke "libertarian" economy is?
kame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:

* by the legislature, no less, plus most marriage benefits have been extended to same-sex couples for almost a decade - the only bill we've seen come up is a proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.

A bill intended to fail, if I remember correctly. Or was that just conservative spin?
Lemontree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early polls are showing strong for Obama in New Hampshire already today. Very Happy

I wonder if any other candidates will drop out after today's primary. Think Kucinich will stick with it to the end? Or will him and Richardson bow out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 2 of 277

Jump to: