welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obama FTW!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 262, 263, 264 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Adyon



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 1163
Location: Behind my Cintiq

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah insults again. Luckily I understand what it means when people have to resort to them in a debate.

*edit* Also
Eiden wrote:
Ember778 wrote:
You're a fucking retard.


Weren't you just kvetching about other people's immaturity a bit ago? You're quite a hypocrite!

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ember778



Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Posts: 378

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiden wrote:
Ember778 wrote:
You're a fucking retard.


Weren't you just kvetching about other people's immaturity a bit ago? You're quite a hypocrite!


Yeah I'm pretty done. You guys can all think whatever you please. There's no point in reasoning with you people.

Because apparently all this shit that's been going on is because Republicans just filibuster all the time. Meaning we must be under the same policies since forever I guess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eiden



Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 401

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ember778 wrote:


No, but it's not like filibusters happen 24/7. And either way the fact that the Republicans have no control other than to postpone voting on certain things doesn't mean the Democrats aren't in control.

What do you want me to say that the Democrats don't have COMPLETE control. Fine they don't have absolute domination power, but they can still pass whatever they damn well please regardless of Republican opinion when they do vote on something.

You act like nothing ever gets done because the Republicans are constantly filibustering. Nothing ever gets voted on or any of that crap.

This argument is utterly ridiculous.


To reiterate: you are wrong. Filibustering does not work how you think it does. Filibustering is now a motion that effectively ends the vote unless congress can achieve a 60% vote for cloture, which allows the bill to be voted on. If a 60% vote for cloture cannot be achieved, the bill dies in the senate. It does not get voted on. It does not pass. It can go back to the drawing board, but it means that unless you have 60 out of 100 senators unanimously voting for a bill, the Republicans can motion to stop the bill from passage, and it stops.

So this means that even if the democrats had 54% of the senate, they didn't have anything remotely like the complete control you suggested. The republicans could and did table hundreds of bills The democrats could not vote for cloture because they were not 60%. They were not even 50%. They were only a majority caucus. Unless the independents part of that majority caucus also voted with them, they didn't even have a majority, much less a supermajority. They only had senate majority posts.

Do you get it now?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12256
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ember778 wrote:
There's no point in reasoning with you people.

How would you know? You haven't even tried it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Adyon



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 1163
Location: Behind my Cintiq

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ember778 wrote:
There's no point in reasoning with you people.

Reasoning? Is that what insulting people and saying you don't want to answer questions is? Loudly throwing opinions while not listening to someone else's at all is not reasoning. It's the media.

Ember778 wrote:
Because apparently all this shit that's been going on is because Republicans just filibuster all the time. Meaning we must be under the same policies since forever I guess.

No, it's not that Democrats have NO blame. It's that they are not solely TO blame. We have a nice big government, a government that has been doing things for many years. Those things have resulted in a shitty economic time. We had some policies passed since 2008 that didn't help things. Many by Democrats, yes. But they in no way are the problem for WHY our unemployment is so high, why our national debt is so high, or many of the other things you mentioned. Most of those things were decided many years ago.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9556

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he did call us retards, infer we were all probably poors who don't understand paying taxes, and call us idiot ignorant youth, while simultaneously displaying that he did not understand

a. majority by common caucus

b. cloture votes

c. the filibuster

d. actually pretty much bicameral legislature in general

i BELIEVE that this is what passes for 'trying to reason with a group' on Planet Ember-778
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12256
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Well he did call us retards, infer we were all probably poors who don't understand paying taxes, and call us idiot ignorant youth, while simultaneously displaying that he did not understand

a. majority by common caucus

b. cloture votes

c. the filibuster

d. actually pretty much bicameral legislature in general

i BELIEVE that this is what passes for 'trying to reason with a group' on Planet Ember-778

Also he seems to think that if a Republican congress were in power, the National Science Foundation wouldn't have approved the shrimp study (could be true, a Republican congress could have reduced their budget to the point that they couldn't afford to give out that grant, and a few scores of other ones).
So on pretty much every point he tried to engage us in (and I use the term loosely), he showed how much he doesn't understand the things he's saying. No wonder he's so angry all the time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Adyon



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 1163
Location: Behind my Cintiq

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he takes the root word and thinks that if he gives us a "reason" we will just change our opinions. I guess being reasonable has nothing to do with reasoning on Planet Ember-778. They have weird ways there.

I'll give you a hint Ember, if you want anyone here on planet Earth to take anything you say seriously, you can't jump in throwing insults and throwing out some random things you heard and expect us to think of it as reasoning.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9556

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could be the first person to bring up Dunning-Kruger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9556

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys are all FUCKING RETARD POORS (unlike me i am rich and have 4% body fat) that don't even understand that the filibuster is people standing and holding up the senate as long as they can talk, and that 54% of the senate can achieve cloture and literally pass any bill they want. Complete ridiculation. Anyway I must go now, my planet needs me ~~

I gotta say though honestly while there was obviously not much in the way of substantively productive exchange between the two parties in that interaction, there was substantive argument and seriously a shit-ton of surprisingly comprehensive and cogent points got hurled at him in rapid-fire succession.

That wasn't even really a dogpile, it was like Das Factkreig

it was also really very entertaining. I came like four times. I almost want to cuddle up and have pillow talk and a cigarette with fellow Captain of Industry ember. we can push our chests together and rub our incomes against each other and see which one is bigger and we can make out for a while and eventually I'll tell him that this is a Safe Space and it's okay to say if he is a troll or needs different pronouns due to his alt-sexuality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17282
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
So your strategy was to (a) waltz in with a completely poorly thought out accusation of our ignorance and make an open derogation, then (b) when you unsurprisingly find your shit-flinging returned with counter-mockery you just sort of sputter out 'yeah how immature not like i expected much more'

you have very unrealistic expectations of the social dynamic about internet webcomic forum "sinfest.com," please tell us more about how we should be responding to your overt and hypocritical hostility so that we may be more to your satisfaction


i'm rather late to the game here, but i should point out that this is exactly his strategy in the comics subforum.

oh, and to regularly state that he really couldn't care less about what the rest of us thought.

now i'm going to go back and read the intervening posts and count up how many times he said he doesn't care what we think, he's just gonna keep posting what he thinks.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Willem



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 6306
Location: wasteland style

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be sure to read my posts, i threw some pretty sick burns in there - like when i said his butt smelled like poop. it was all downhill from thereon for him.
_________________
attitude of a street punk, only cutting selected words out of context to get onself excuse to let one's dirty mouth loose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9556

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
be sure to read my posts, i threw some pretty sick burns in there - like when i said his butt smelled like poop. it was all downhill from thereon for him.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Willem



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 6306
Location: wasteland style

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam's post is now also a good alternative to actually reading the posts
_________________
attitude of a street punk, only cutting selected words out of context to get onself excuse to let one's dirty mouth loose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17282
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow - he only said he didn't care what we thought twice (well, once, and then he quoted himself).

but man. that is one seriously major pile of utter stupidity. really, guys, you should have guessed it when he refuse to answer a question that had only 2 choices. he had a 50-50 chance of getting it right just by random chance -and yet, he refused to take the gamble. wow.

i'll just throw in this link, even though ember wouldn't have read it, even if he didn't stomp off mad...but here's a quick quote:
Quote:
But the number of filibusters by Republicans has escalated, and they have been far more willing to use the tactic than their opponents. Since 2007, the Senate Historical Office has shown, Democrats have had to end Republican filibusters more than 360 times, a historic record.


there is also a big record on republican obstruction of obama's judicial nominees:
Quote:
We are all used to judicial nomination fights, but what has been remarkable in the Obama administration has been the molasses-like confirmation process for noncontroversial nominees, especially federal district court nominees.

The numbers tell the story. If there is no agreement to hold a vote, it takes 60 votes to "invoke cloture" and vote up or down on a nominee. Only one of President Clinton's district court nominees faced sufficient stalling that a cloture vote was filed to force a vote. Similarly, during the George W. Bush administration, there was only one cloture petition filed to force a vote on a district court nominee.

But during the Obama administration, so far, there have been 21 cloture petitions filed to force votes on 21 district court judicial nominees.


he had a lot about pelosi - because of course, congress under boehner has been so productive.
Quote:
But nowhere has Congress performed worse than in its failure to deal with the debt and deficit. The Senate voted to extend tax cuts for the middle class, those making up to $250,000 a year. House Republicans shot it down, because it did not also include tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires. Meanwhile, the specter of sequestration -- disastrous $1.2 trillion cuts to Pentagon spending and domestic programs -- hangs over us on January 1. But, once again, Congress has refused to deal with it.


but then again, that's not fair. they did vote to repeal obamacare 33 times.

yeah, yeah, i know - a few facts aren't going to get in the way of ember's opinions!

hey, he's a wealthy tax payer - maybe he's actually mitt romney! he's working on pretty much the same set of "facts".
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 262, 263, 264 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 263 of 277

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group