welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1/20 The Same Everywhere
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Secret

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the giant green eye on that building is a symbol of the alien God.
Forlorn Devil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret wrote:
I guess the giant green eye on that building is a symbol of the alien God.

Depends how you interpret the symbol on the earth building. The Pyramid eye makes me think of capitalism in the sense its on the Dollar bill and secret societies. Gave me the Big Bother is watching vibe. So I would interpret the alien eye the same way.
longscarf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: The eye on our dollar bill Reply with quote

is supposed to represent the eye of God.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pyramid thingy may have once, possibly, maybe represented the eye of God it is now associated with capitalism and big brother.

This comic got me. Downright hurts.

netsplit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monique has a kindred spirit among the stars looking back at her. So she ain't alone as she feels.

Now if she some how actually visited that kindred spirit there's a good chance the biochemistry might be highly toxic to her. Even things like the equivalent of pollen in the air could contain right handed amino acid which are toxic, or arsenic. The air could be the wrong temperature, they might breath chlorine, or sulfur instead of oxygen, or use hydrogen fluoride instead of water. Meaning the slurpee , rain, or humidity would be damaging as hydrochloric acid for Monique.

The planetary "water" bodies don't seem to be blue which could indicate some rather different chemistry.

Or it could just mean there's alot of algae. It's a yellow star and seems to be about as bright as the sun, relative to the planet, so the temperature ranges should be close to earth. Which would mean water atleast. The big question is what's coloring that water! If it is algae then those oceans must be alot richer in the chemicals needed for life to support that algae. Not only that but oxidzors (things that burn oxygen, like animals) must have intense needs for it. Other wise all that photosynthesizing algae would eat up all the carbon dioxide, and die back down to supportable levels, meaning the oceans would be blue again. Which has implications on their physiology, burning that much oxygen would mean an incredible metabolism, and yet somehow, that purple cheeseburger makes em fat.

Btw nice job with the planet shadowing!
Secret

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

netsplit wrote:
right handed amino acid

...right handed amino acids? I didn't even know they had hands.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

netsplit: If one thing is right handed, all of it is right handed. I mean, it is cute that you must flaunt your basic scientific knowledge about planets and evolution but it was completely unnecessary and it detracted from the comic. Go flaunt somewhere else.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "right handed" was the only thing that could be taken as "flaunting."

All the rest of it is the same kind of silly, tenuous psuedoscientific extrapolation that fuels most fun geek conversation, although it does start and end pretty awkwardly.
Renee Katz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boo hoo! America is so horrible with all it's food and technology and shopping malls. . . Why don't we all move to India?!

RSS
Keign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renee Katz wrote:
Oh boo hoo! America is so horrible with all it's food and technology and shopping malls. . . Why don't we all move to India?!

... because they have the same things?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ktern

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

netsplit wrote:
Now if she some how actually visited that kindred spirit there's a good chance the biochemistry might be highly toxic to her.

No, because if you look at the elements we use, we generally have the lightest possible elements with certain numbers of bonds--this keeps us from being really goddamn heavy and inefficient. Therefore:

netsplit wrote:
The air could be the wrong temperature, they might breath chlorine, or sulfur instead of oxygen, or use hydrogen fluoride instead of water.

This is exceedingly unlikely, especially for organisms that size. As for the temperature, usually that's the least of anyone's concerns when space traveling.

netsplit wrote:
Even things like the equivalent of pollen in the air could contain right handed amino acid which are toxic, or arsenic. Meaning the slurpee , rain, or humidity would be damaging as hydrochloric acid for Monique.

You clearly don't know anything about D-amino acids, because otherwise you would realize that statement is idiotic because they appear on Earth as well.

netsplit wrote:
The planetary "water" bodies don't seem to be blue which could indicate some rather different chemistry.

I'm not even going to comment on the rest because it's just horrible, but you know, Tat just wanted to illustrate that their planet is different from ours in a lot of ways and did so in a rather non-scientific manner.

That said, please have some idea what you're talking about next time you attempt to appear intelligent. Thanks.

(Actually, don't wave your cock like that here at all.)
Sojobo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktern wrote:
This is exceedingly unlikely, especially for organisms that size.

Organisms of what size?
Brain.Damage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else find this comic gruesome?

I mean, he's already done the multiple worlds of similar life theme to death... we all know that Monique is in no way a hippie or for that matter an honest protester.

It's full of shit, this comic is amazingly full of shit.

And I hate it.

What happened to the days when the sinfest characters were satyrical and not desperately trying to be "the good in the world"?

When I first began reading this comic, the title "Sinfest" actually seemed appropriate.
ktern

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
ktern wrote:
This is exceedingly unlikely, especially for organisms that size.

Organisms of what size?

Haha, I guess I don't have a real scale marker. Good catch, I was just going off the top of my head.

Brain.Damage wrote:
Does anyone else find this comic gruesome?

Gruesome, no, but I agree it's horribly out of character for Monique (at least as she's been for a long time). I feel like this strip would have been much better if it had occurred in some other comic because yes, this isn't really Sinfest.
netsplit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktern wrote:

(Actually, don't wave your cock like that here at all.)

Reread the rest of your own post. Note irony. That is as much of a response as I will dignify that with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: