welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1/27/08 - There is No God
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hydro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funkentelechy wrote:
bun bun wrote:
Gee, Tatsuya, what a terribly unique and unusual and thoroughly insightful comic.

Rolling Eyes

All the writing's been phoned in lately.

Writing doesn't have to be complex to good. Or at least, that's my opinion.

What would be funny if one of the next comics was Slick walking along saying the somewhat the same thing, and see Monique.

But I just jinxed that, huh? =P
WindScar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just awesome Daxx, this will be my forever wallpaper!

Tat we s2 u.
netsplit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to get over my ego and post over this comic. It made my day. I'm trying to figure out the best way to rearrange it so it's square shaped so I can have all the panels on my desktop.

One thing I noticed when I started looking at it trying to figure out the best way to sort it into a square.

Look at the shadows. They're facing the other way in the God doubt frames. Meaning Monique had her back turned to all that panel 4. All that was just waiting for her to turn around and look.

Another thing I noticed. Monique is built like she's 9. Either she's been stuffing her bra in all those other comics or I think this implies a sense of innocent wonder with the whole event. Like she's a kid again.
longscarf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Where things fit Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder where kids who suffer from enormous tumors on their faces fit into that picture.

They get to see the same beauty. And they are loved, no matter what they look like, because they are unique and precious. They get to live in a world where people who truly believe in a goodness and greatness beyond nature and circumstance strive for having that in all areas of life, so that someday, there will be no tumors on faces- or anywhere else.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longscarf wrote:
They get to see the same beauty. And they are loved, no matter what they look like, because they are unique and precious. They get to live in a world where people who truly believe in a goodness and greatness beyond nature and circumstance strive for having that in all areas of life, so that someday, there will be no tumors on faces- or anywhere else.

Your cheer is cloying. You're apparently also oblivious of the point. Nique's making the argument from beauty in comic form. Mention of tumours is pointing out that there's a lot of ugly shit in the world, too - the classical response to the argument from beauty.

longscarf wrote:
they are unique and precious.

Calling people unique is utterly hollow - each person is unique in exactly the same way each pile of dogshit is unique.
longscarf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: whatever Reply with quote

Should I address you as 'Empty Poop' from now on? Or would you prefer 'Mr. Empty Poop?'
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should address us as 'Sire' or 'Your Majesty.'
longscarf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Well, then, Sire Reply with quote

How doth Your Majesty the Lord of all Empty Poopiness think in thine heart the matter shouldst be dwelt upon?
Renee Katz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the sentiment, don't agree with the logic.

RSS
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, then, Sire Reply with quote

longscarf wrote:
How doth Your Majesty the Lord of all Empty Poopiness think in thine heart the matter shouldst be dwelt upon?

What are you, four?
longscarf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: No Reply with quote

Neither that nor cloying nor oblivious, sire.
I figure if you want to raise the ante by comparing people to crap, be prepared to live with it.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: No Reply with quote

longscarf wrote:
Neither that nor cloying nor oblivious, sire.
I figure if you want to raise the ante by comparing people to crap, be prepared to live with it.

Your every post reinforces the oblivious part.

I was very specific. I compared the uniqueness of people to the uniqueness of crap. The only definition of 'unique' by which people are 'unique' is one which makes everything in existence 'unique,' which means that saying "people are unique" is pretty useless.

Your responses are saying that you think I was comparing the value of people to the value of crap, which just isn't accurate in the slightest!
longscarf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: i might as well keep going Reply with quote

Let me express something, using your example, if I may.
My only copy of 'Fair Wilmington' is kept in an anti-static bag in my library to preserve it since it's over 100 years old, very fragile, and irreplaceable. My dog poops two or three times a day. Though each pile is not exactly like each and every other pile, I'm not going to preserve it for posterity.
If I understand you, you are saying that uniqueness (alone) cannot bring value to anything. To you, uniqueness appears to be a valueless concept, because when you get right down to it every sub-molecular quanta is unique. My point is that uniqueness IS part of the value. Even of the crap, I suppose, since that's a condition of owning a dog.
My dog is my dog. If he were to die, I could get another dog; I've owned several. But each one is different, etc.
We will probably not agree on this, and I feel my brain shutting down in anticipation of more HTML programming tonight as well as this discussion venturing off into deeper topics. So I will go and watch some Scientology-bashing videos for awhile and do laundry. I don't want to hijack this thread either, so let's move the discussion to another forum on the site. Feel free to private message me.
samuelmshin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, shut up for a second!
Quick wallpaper. See how you like it, and tell me what I should change to make it better.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

longscarf wrote:
If I understand you, you are saying that uniqueness (alone) cannot bring value to anything.

Yes.

longscarf wrote:
My only copy of 'Fair Wilmington' is kept in an anti-static bag in my library to preserve it since it's over 100 years old, very fragile, and irreplaceable.

When you're talking about uniqueness of a old book, you're not talking about it being inherently valuable because it is by definition distinct from every other book. You're talking about it being more valuable than other books because of its market rarity. Its low supply means that only a certain number of collectors are able to have a copy. The value being added by rarity is relative to other items of its type.

People are not more valuable because of their market rarity. A Djiboutian is not more valuable than a Chinese person because he is less common. A professional athlete is not more valuable than a fast food worker (though he does command higher payment for his labor).

longscarf wrote:
I don't want to hijack this thread either, so let's move the discussion to another forum on the site.

These threads become obsolete within a couple of days unless they get highjacked. It's probably more appropriate to continue here than to make a new thread elsewhere.

samuelmshin wrote:
Hey guys, shut up for a second!

Piss off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: