welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009-02-29 - Pat Pat Pat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 2009-02-29 - Pat Pat Pat Reply with quote

YenTheFirst wrote:
Also, happy leap day. woo.

Normally (=traditionally) it's the role of the woman to wait for the man to ask to marry her. In my wife's country of origin (and perhaps elsewhere, I don't know) it's traditional that on the 29th of February, and then only, it's allowed for the woman to ask the man to marry her. Lets hope your girlfriends don't find out about this, whenever you get some. Those of you with boyfriends, today's your big chance for the next four years, unless you're male, in which case I don't think it really matters.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the expression in panel 4. Just awesome. Really gets the emotion across even if people are disagreeing on what the emotion is. It seems obvious to me: when someone pities you and reached out to comfort you after you speak down to them, it really makes you think about what you are doing. It hurts in an embarrassed with yourself kind of thing.
rustythekid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gives "PWN3D!!!!" a new meaning.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
I love the expression in panel 4. Just awesome. Really gets the emotion across even if people are disagreeing on what the emotion is. It seems obvious to me: when someone pities you and reached out to comfort you after you speak down to them, it really makes you think about what you are doing. It hurts in an embarrassed with yourself kind of thing.

well - that's the way one would like the world to work.

i'm not entirely sure it always does.

although, maybe if one were confronted with the living buddha...
Funkentelechy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even like the world to work that way. Pity is not an attractive emotion to give or receive. Are you really inclined to listen to someone that condescends to you?
Tesceract

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a fascinating last panel.

Also, this gives me the impression of Buddha being slightly smug inside.
Brain.Damage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesceract wrote:
That is a fascinating last panel.

Also, this gives me the impression of Buddha being slightly smug inside.

Maybe to a person who has no idea what smugness looks like....
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funkentelechy wrote:
I wouldn't even like the world to work that way. Pity is not an attractive emotion to give or receive. Are you really inclined to listen to someone that condescends to you?

i guess i didn't really interpret that third panel as pity. not sure i have quite the word for it - sort of "there there, it's all right, i still love you" - or accept you as you are, or something. and of course li'l e wanted to make him made, and now he feels...well, sort of bad. and a bit embarrassed with himself, as fiona says.
Tesceract

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brain.Damage wrote:

Terrible. Even spewing something like "stupidface" would have been an improvement.

I meant his actions, by the way.
Eten

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay buddha, standing up for the thing I like most.

When someone is ignorant about something, best not to call them stupid and simply disregard them, but to have infinite patience and try to help them learn in a non-condescending manner.

Or maybe it's related to like what Martin Luther King Jr. was like about non-violence. You don't take violence and treat it with more violence to get less violence. But non-violence isn't inaction either. Trying to change things with non-violence in the act of violence has an effect on the person's conscious.

Just like here little E is vulgar and rude to Buddha, but instead of responding with a like retort or anything, he does something like say... "I care". This really gets to little E- in real life any person would only be able to return to their vulgar and rude behavior before it really really gets to them and their heart and mind just isn't in it.
Brain.Damage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesceract wrote:
Brain.Damage wrote:

Terrible. Even spewing something like "stupidface" would have been an improvement.

I meant his actions, by the way.

It's obviously sympathy.

By patting little E on the shoulder he is displaying a sympathy for the poor mixed up little fool. I mean, I could see how one might find it condescending behaviour if it were anyone else and if the expression on the characters face was not one of deep concern.

But to call the buddha smug, especially in a comic like this... is either idiotic or fishing for some controversy.
Rogue

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Funkentelechy wrote:

i guess i didn't really interpret that third panel as pity. not sure i have quite the word for it - sort of "there there, it's all right, i still love you" - or accept you as you are, or something. and of course li'l e wanted to make him made, and now he feels...well, sort of bad. and a bit embarrassed with himself, as fiona says.

That's how I saw it, too... Like there is no way whatever Lil E could do would affect him or his opinion of himself... And then Lil E understands, for just a moment, how pathetic his actions are.

Next time, though, I'm sure he'll be right back at it, just like anybody else.
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funkentelechy wrote:

Pity != condecension. Even that much-vaunted piece of literary trash, the Bible, states that pity = compassion. But the modern use of "I pity you" in a condescenting and dismissive manner, and usually said with a sneer by film characters, has distorted the meaning of the term. If nothing else, Buddhism teaches compassion and understanding, so it's entirely in character for the Buddha to pity somebody so misguided as Lil' E.
Azmoten

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it to be poor strategy to call something literary trash, and then cite it as an example.

But I get what you mean.
Brain.Damage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we're agreed, the buddha probably wasn't a jerk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: