welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009-02-29 - Pat Pat Pat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azmoten wrote:
I find it to be poor strategy to call something literary trash, and then cite it as an example.

Not necessarily - it's widely respected by a number of people. Surely my personal opinion of it shouldn't sway the point being made. (And I'm one of the few people I know who has actually read the entire Bible - although I'm not religious - and while a lot of it is indeed trash, there are some interesting bits, and then there's the New Testament.)
Brain.Damage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you have the credentials to be calling it, or rather anything, trash.

The Bible and like texts are great giant swamps of interpretation, you pull from it's depths whatever you want.

Or maybe I should say, it's like an abstract painting... your own personality divines the meaning.

There's what the writers intended... and then there's your perception, if you're going to spend your days complaining about someone else's interpretation that's your own business... but I doubt its going to make you happy.
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brain.Damage wrote:
I doubt you have the credentials to be calling it trash.

The Bible [requires] interpretation, you pull from it's depths whatever you want.

I don't understand. You're flatly and diametrically contradicting yourself. I can pull whatever meaning I want from it, and yet I'm without the 'credentials' (without your knowing anything about me) to form my own opinion of it? If you're going to argue, at least find an argument that follows some sort of internal logic.

Or is it just a case of "You can think whatever you want, so long as it's the same as I think"? "Do what I say, not as I do"? In that case, I see. You are of course allowed to have whatever opinion you want, but I somehow doubt that you have the credentials to presume to judge me, eh? Wink
Chocolatefan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2009-02-29 - Pat Pat Pat Reply with quote

filecore wrote:
YenTheFirst wrote:
Also, happy leap day. woo.

Normally (=traditionally) it's the role of the woman to wait for the man to ask to marry her. In my wife's country of origin (and perhaps elsewhere, I don't know) it's traditional that on the 29th of February, and then only, it's allowed for the woman to ask the man to marry her. Lets hope your girlfriends don't find out about this, whenever you get some. Those of you with boyfriends, today's your big chance for the next four years, unless you're male, in which case I don't think it really matters.

Over here, a local movie ("The Leap Years") based on that tradition was released on February 29th. Now the whole country knows about it. No escape for the guys next leap year I guess. Razz

Anyway, in relations to the comic, I feel Buddha is displaying symphathy in the 3rd panel as mentioned by someone earlier. Too bad he doesn't ever say anything so we'll never really know what was going through his mind.
Brain.Damage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

filecore wrote:
Brain.Damage wrote:
I doubt you have the credentials to be calling it trash.

The Bible [requires] interpretation, you pull from it's depths whatever you want.

I don't understand. You're flatly and diametrically contradicting yourself. I can pull whatever meaning I want from it, and yet I'm without the 'credentials' (without your knowing anything about me) to form my own opinion of it? If you're going to argue, at least find an argument that follows some sort of internal logic.

Or is it just a case of "You can think whatever you want, so long as it's the same as I think"? "Do what I say, not as I do"? In that case, I see. You are of course allowed to have whatever opinion you want, but I somehow doubt that you have the credentials to presume to judge me, eh? Wink

This is what I get for posting at 4 am... I had this idea that you were trying to talk as if you were banding about facts.

I guess I completely missed the "my personal opinion".
netsplit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comic reminds me a of Zen Koan I once read. Hopefully I don't mess the telling of it up. Admittedly I'm taking a little creative license with part of it.

Once there was an undefeated fighter. He was known through out the land as practically invincible. His strategy was he'd say terrible things to bait his opponent into making the first move. Then he'd use a devistating counter attack he developed. Well he came to the village of a Zen master, a frail old man, looking for challengers. The Zen master ended up accepting his challenge.

They stepped into the ring. The fighter talked about his mother and implied she liked goats in an impure way. The Zen master just smiled sweetly at him. The fighter said the master liked Celine Dion's music, and even implied he liked Nickleback. Not even these grievous slurs could jostle the master's smile. The fighter got up in the old man's face and repeated the annoying commercial "head on apply directly to the forehead". He ate garlic and breathed in the old man's face. The old man just looked at him with the same sincerely sweet smile. The fighter became frustrated, and then enraged. Finally giving up, storming out in a cloud frustrated defeat.

The town asked the Zen master how his frail old man self did it. He simply replied "If you give a gift to someone, and the they won't accept it. Then you have to keep it for yourself."

Basically what Buddha did to little E
Sojobo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not a koan.
netsplit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right I did misspeak in calling it a koan.

However the rest of it stands. Especially the part about Nickleback being a grievous slur.:p
sojourner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

netsplit wrote:
especially the part about Nickleback being a grievous slur.:p

w0rd that.
godsfire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: changed my life Reply with quote

This comic changed my life. Seriously...I went to work the next day and apologized to a coworker for treating them unfairly in the past. I realized how unjust and spiteful I behaved just by seeing Buddha console devil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: