welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 672, 673, 674 ... 830, 831, 832  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitflipper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
hey darq isn't this the same thing you said in that discussion about parents taking their children to restaurants because when you were a baby you caught polio in a strip club?

Did you suffer at the hands of a critical piece of literary theory as a child?

Everyone suffers at the hands of critical pieces of literary theory. Razz
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis: Don't be an ass. Every piece of media is telling some of story.

This has nothing to do with shitty professors taking their kid to a college class with them and exposing them to a threat of contracting meningitis, you know, a disease they have you specifically get immunized for before you go to college because of the increased likelihood of getting it there.

Bitflipper: We'll never know the why unless some people really closely involved start giving all sorts of information out. Aside from the obvious of want ing to know about the kids planning this, what about the intended victim? Was she some ten year old composite of Regina George and Heather Chandler? Not likely, I'm sure, but if so why?

Also, in terms of media, especially games, I don't think ratings enforcement can be emphasized or discussed enough.

Edit: Apparently, to some people, killing lots of people is a competition i.e. it's a game:
Connecticut shooter wanted to top Norway death toll: CBS
Reuters Ė 2 hrs 58 mins ago
Quote:
(Reuters) - The man who shot dead 20 children and six adults at a Connecticut elementary school wanted to kill more people than the 77 slain by a Norwegian man in a 2011 rampage, CBS News reported on Monday, citing unnamed law enforcement sources. A Connecticut state police spokesman dismissed the report as inaccurate speculation.

Adam Lanza, 20, who killed himself as police closed in on him at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, on December 14, saw himself in direct competition with Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in a bombing and shooting attack in Norway on July 22, 2011, CBS said. Breivik surrendered to police.
Citing two officials briefed on the Newtown investigation, CBS said Lanza targeted the elementary school because he saw it as the "easiest target" with the "largest cluster of people."

The report did not say how the investigators learned of Lanza's desire to compete with Breivik.

Lanza was also motivated by violent videogames and had spent numerous hours playing games and working on his computer shooting skills in a private gaming room in his basement with blacked out windows, CBS said. Investigators recovered a large number of games from the basement, the report said. Evidence shows that in his mind, Lanza was likely acting out the fantasies of a videogame during his shooting spree with each death amounting to some kind of "score," CBS said. Lanza killed 20 schoolchildren aged 6 and 7 plus six adults who worked at the school, shocking the United States and leading President Barack Obama to propose new gun-control legislation.

Authorities have not publicly spoken of his motive. "This is not official Connecticut State Police information and is someone's speculation regarding the case," Connecticut State Police Lieutenant Paul Vance told Reuters in an email statement. When asked if the CBS report was in any way accurate, Vance responded, "No."

Breivik, a self-styled warrior against Muslim immigration, killed eight people by bombing the Oslo government headquarters and then shot dead 69 people at the ruling party's summer youth camp. A Norwegian judge last year sentenced Breivik to the maximum 21 years in prison, though his release can be put off indefinitely should he be deemed a threat to society.

(Reporting by Daniel Trotta in New York; Editing by Mohammad Zargham and Eric Beech)

Do you really think Lanza had been playing M rated games for only 2 years?

Who knows, maybe those kids were inspired by Lanza.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bitflipper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, Darq, I wouldn't lean too heavily on the "information" presented in that news article. Aside from Breivik's sentence, the death toll in Newton, CT, and President Obama's talk about a new gun control initiative, the whole thing is being dismissed as "inaccurate," "not official," and as "someone's speculation regarding the case."

Unfortunately, it's already been picked up and parroted by Reuters, so, fairly quickly, we're going to have all sorts of talking heads spewing these unfounded speculations as if they were verified facts. Rolling Eyes

Sorry, Guy. FWIW, I almost fell for it, too; my first thought upon reading the headline was "Well, yeah, look at all the copycats who followed Charlie Manson or Son of Sam; this sick game's kind of endemic to those criminal nutcases who are already on the edge." Then I read the article, scratched my head at its somewhat sensationalist and unverified tone, re-read it, and realized that someone at CBS is just looking for ratings and to sell more papers.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll never know, though, because they have to dismiss it, even if it was true. It's virulent poison, to not do so would cause greater news and lead to more copy cats. For them to admit that Lanza was motivated by such a thing would be essentially green lighting a spree of copy cats.

I honestly do hope it's speculation. But it's probably already too late, like you've said. Sadly, we are now almost guaranteed that one of the "next times" will involve someone who is trying to "go for a record" or some other twisted ideal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, wait, did you just counter bitflipper pointing out that a majority of that article is speculation by speculating that someone just wants us to think it's speculation because your speculation that Lanza was playing some sort of real life video game against Brevik (which is, and this is not speculation, a plot from Luther and I think a few Law & Orders and, this is speculation, countless other police procedurals that don't quite have a grip on video games) will cause other people, such as, you speculate, these boys plotting to murder a class mate, to turn into copycats?

you speculated, then used a speculative article to back up your speculation, and then when someone called you on its speculative nature you speculated that we will never know just how speculative it is because of they.

come on, buddy, who is they?

If you say James Cameron I will retire.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you say Warren Buffett I will acquire.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you say Woodward and Bernstein I will inquire.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you say Donald Trump I will fire.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you say Benedict Arnold I will conspire.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for whom will you admire?
or respire?
or aim higher?
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you say Frank's I will perspire.

That's all I got.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just feel like people need something to blame so bad that they come up with different reasons (like video games or TV) instead of looking for ways to help prevent tragedies like that happening again. I'm sure violent video games or TV doesn't help young kids but bad parenting doesn't help either. On top of that, how we deal with and treat our mentally ill should be taken into consideration.

I am not trying to start some big debate here but you can't just blame tragic events or almost tragedies on one easy scapegoat like video games or TV. I think it's a combination of issues going on and we should be addressing all of them.

Not to mention I don't understand why we're discussing things that someone might have said to someone else about something until it's confirmed that that indeed did happen.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, if violence and casual disregard for human life is so prevalent in the media and does desensitize otherwise normal people to the extent that they seriously entertain the idea of killing, shit like this would be the norm and not the exception. In reality violence has actually gone down in the US even as media depictions of it, and sales of unapologetically violent games especially, have gone straight up.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
I just feel like people need something to blame so bad that they come up with different reasons (like video games or TV) instead of looking for ways to help prevent tragedies like that happening again. I'm sure violent video games or TV doesn't help young kids but bad parenting doesn't help either. On top of that, how we deal with and treat our mentally ill should be taken into consideration.

I am not trying to start some big debate here but you can't just blame tragic events or almost tragedies on one easy scapegoat like video games or TV. I think it's a combination of issues going on and we should be addressing all of them.

Not to mention I don't understand why we're discussing things that someone might have said to someone else about something until it's confirmed that that indeed did happen.

I brought up lack of supervision by the parents as a likely occurrence, and even then I'm saying it's a symptom of them being shitty parents, not a cause of anything. Bitflipper was asking the same questions I was: Why did they do this. You can't segregate out parts of a person's life if you want to find out why they did this or that. Hell, maybe the kids watched too much Law and Order, who knows.

WoC: That's awesome.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITT: DARQ BLAMES ATTEMPTED MURDER PLOT BY TEN YEAR OLDS ON ICE T AND RICHARD BELZER.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 672, 673, 674 ... 830, 831, 832  Next
Page 673 of 832

Jump to: