welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 677, 678, 679 ... 805, 806, 807  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they should have lined those two figures up more carefully, makes it look like peak income was at the bottom of the stock market, while in fact it looks like it coincided with the earlier stock market peak, and a lot of the drop happened at the same time as the stock market drop. since 2009, though, things are clearly going in different directions.
Him

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"To his supporters and those implanted with his mind-controlling Chavismo-chips, Chávez was Emmanuel, the reborn Christ. To his detractors, he was Double Hitler. As ever, the truth is somewhere in the middle – while he was certainly born, he was not Christ; and while there was only one of him, he was most definitely Hitler."
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of which, can someone explain to me why communists seem to always feel the need to publicly display the embalmed bodies of their dead leaders?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like their bodies are their own property.
Him

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Did the US Government and Big Oil Hate Chavez?
bitflipper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Him, you managed to dig up a news source that is not only more biased than Fox or CNN, but that also proudly proclaims that it expects itself to be biased in its own mission statement!

"We all have interests. We recognize that bias will affect the elements in a story we choose to highlight, the facts we consider important and the sources we decide to trust. To be human is to have bias."

I suppose you could have dug up a Venezuelan state-sponsored news article if you wanted something even more Chavez-friendly.
CTrees

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him's talented like that.
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day before Bloomberg's ban on high capacity sodas was set to go into effect, the courts struck it down. Hahaha. If there were 7-elevens in my state, I'd have a celebratory Big Gulp.
Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
The day before Bloomberg's ban on high capacity sodas was set to go into effect, the courts struck it down. Hahaha. If there were 7-elevens in my state, I'd have a celebratory Big Gulp.

It would make you fat though.

Him

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
Wow, Him, you managed to dig up a news source that is not only more biased than Fox or CNN, but that also proudly proclaims that it expects itself to be biased in its own mission statement!

"We all have interests. We recognize that bias will affect the elements in a story we choose to highlight, the facts we consider important and the sources we decide to trust. To be human is to have bias."

I suppose you could have dug up a Venezuelan state-sponsored news article if you wanted something even more Chavez-friendly.

Meanwhile Fox News has "Fair & Balanced" as their slogan when they are anything but. And yes, The Real New Network recognizes it has a bias. How horrible. Not sure how you figure that makes them *more* biased than CNN or Fox News. Critically you also removed the last part of that paragraph which said "The answer is transparency; The Real News will create forums for questioning, debating and criticizing our work." You also seem to miss the part about no government or corporate funding. You could hardly say the same about Fox or CNN. Anyway...

While I find Greg Palast a bit too defensive over Chavez I can't really blame him though given the hatchet job some media outlets have done.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge approves use of 'truth serum' on accused Aurora shooter James Holmes

Not trying to defend the guy (actually, I couldn't even sit on his jury if called; I'm biased in this case), but I have significant doubts about the validity of any testimony obtained through the use of psychoactive substances. To say nothing about the Fifth Amendment issues mentioned in the article.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds really odd. they say that this would be used by the prosecutors to question him if he pleads not guilty by reason of insanity. but he can't be questioned unless his defense team puts him on the stand, can he? it would be a fifth amendment issue if he was forced to testify in his own trial. and why would the defense put him on the stand? they would do a lot better, i would think, putting medical experts and people who knew holmes at the time of the shooting, because an insanity defense is based on whether or not the defendant was capable of distinguishing between right and wrong at the time of the crime.

wish the article had been more explicit about who asked for the ruling, and why.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we gave up on truth serums after MKULTRA turned out to be a giant illegal fraud that never actually turned one up in about 20 years of testing.

Also being forced to submit to a drugged interrogation seems like something that would be illegal on a whole bunch of levels. Considering they say it would "most likely be a short-acting barbiturate, like sodium amytal", this sounds less like a truth serum and more of them trying to get him drugged enough that he'll agree with just about anything they state. There's a reason why they are classed as sedatives, hypnotics, and anxiolytics.

I mean, the guy's scum, and there isn't a doubt he did it. but at the same time:
Quote:
Barbiturates produce effects similar to ethanol during intoxication. The symptoms of barbiturate intoxication include respiratory depression, lowered blood pressure, fatigue, fever, unusual excitement, irritability, dizziness, poor concentration, sedation, confusion, impaired coordination, impaired judgment, addiction, and respiratory arrest, which may lead to death.[21]

Recreational users report that a barbiturate high gives them feelings of relaxed contentment and euphoria. The main risk of acute barbiturate abuse is respiratory depression. Physical and psychological dependence may also develop with repeated use.[22] Other effects of barbiturate intoxication include drowsiness, lateral and vertical nystagmus, slurred speech and ataxia, decreased anxiety, a loss of inhibitions. Barbiturates are also used to alleviate the adverse or withdrawal effects of illicit drug misuse.[23][24]

That hardly seems like a fair way to interrogate someone.

My inner conspiracy theorist really wants to say that there'll be an accident and he'll end up dying of an allergic reaction or an OD.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, they picked a Jesuit to be the new pope. I'm not a catholic, but I *did* go to a jesuit college and... that's an encouraging sign.

*REALLY* hoping it's one of the more liberal jesuits. This could actually signal some serious, SERIOUS reform in the church...
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 677, 678, 679 ... 805, 806, 807  Next
Page 678 of 807

Jump to: