welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 708, 709, 710 ... 806, 807, 808  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be one thing if they were actually teaching Hinduism or some other spiritualist messages during the class, but as far as I can tell from the few sources around, this is kind of like claiming that Harry Potter promotes witchcraft; it only works if you ignore what's going on and project a stereotype onto the thing you don't like.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah - apparently one of the original complainants (who just happened to work for a christian activist group) watched the class and was all bent out of shape because it started with the children being asked to thank the sun for life and warmth before they did a sun salutation (which, for the non-yoga types out there, is just a series of poses that start with you standing up with your arms stretched up while you look up).

this is clearly totally designed to lure innocent children away from the tenets of christianity, which apparently do not include recognizing that the sun gives warmth (and life, if you realize it is based on photosynthesis).

one of the lawyers said something like "if you ask people about yoga, they immediately link it with hinduism, and hinduism with yoga", and i'm thinking about all the people i know who do yoga, and yet are not now nor have ever been hindus.....many of whom, by the way, live in encinitas. one wonders who exactly they talked to.

oh, and the people who taught the class went to a lot of effort to be sure it wasn't religious. they even renamed the lotus position.

but seriously - shouldn't religious freedom mean that not only are other people permitted to have their own religious beliefs, but they are permitted to let people know about them? really, is belief in christianity so fragile that any exposure to other viewpoints will cause children to immediately reject everything their parents have taught them, religiously speaking?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a long time to learn yoga was related to Hinduism. I just thought it was a type of exercise. Same with Tai Chi - it has some spiritual connotations, but you can ignore those and just go with the actual exercise bit.

This reminds me of people who think meditation is evil because clearly it's a Buddhist thing. But anyone can practice meditation. You can even meditate on Christian prayers if you feel like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend of mine goes to this friday morning dog yoga class (sadly, it's not about teaching dogs yoga, it's about teaching yoga to people who are out exercising their dogs.)

but still - clearly these dogs are being proselytized to become hindus! by showing them yoga! WILL NO ONE THINK OF THE DOGS?????
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
yeah - apparently one of the original complainants (who just happened to work for a christian activist group) watched the class and was all bent out of shape because it started with the children being asked to thank the sun for life and warmth before they did a sun salutation

which is completely different from asking them to thank God for life and warmth

completely
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you can pretty easily prove that the sun provides warmth. and that if you deprive an area of sunlight, the plants die and that kinda makes life hard.

not sure of such evidence being available for god.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's easy mouse, you take a peaceful place completely deprived of a God, send some crusaders there to murder, rape, and indoctrinate the locals for a couple of centuries, and then you measure the overall satisfaction of the populace.

Piece o cake.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
a friend of mine goes to this friday morning dog yoga class (sadly, it's not about teaching dogs yoga, it's about teaching yoga to people who are out exercising their dogs.)

but still - clearly these dogs are being proselytized to become hindus! by showing them yoga! WILL NO ONE THINK OF THE DOGS?????

Oh! So maybe that means the 'read to dogs' people are actually trying to create a class of educated canines? They want to start an uprising!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When every dog has his day.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the dogs will hold aloft banners with icons of hands with bites taken out of them. Their rallying cry will be, "Bite the hand that feeds you!"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
(sadly, it's not about teaching dogs yoga

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whereas christmas doesn't get in _anyone's_ way
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see someone fighting against any public displays for thanksgiving because, despite living there, they _really_ hate America.

That would take some balls at least Smile
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take Christmas, but if you mess with my family meal on that Thursday in November I will end you.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
really, is belief in christianity so fragile that any exposure to other viewpoints will cause children to immediately reject everything their parents have taught them, religiously speaking?

I sure hope so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 708, 709, 710 ... 806, 807, 808  Next
Page 709 of 808

Jump to: