welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 710, 711, 712 ... 815, 816, 817  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
it's not really a free education

Who's calling it free?

mouse wrote:
one thing i was wondering - would this apply to older students as well? there are a lot of people who don't go to college straight out of high school - and there are some people who want to go to college when they are in their 50's or 60's. and they don't necessarily have the money to pay for it themselves. would they be able to be part of this program? or for anyone in the program - what if you die or, say, become permanently disabled, before your pay-off period is up?

I've been wondering about this too actually. Voc rehab is a major portion of the college population these days, especially in the half billion community colleges around the state. Curious to see how they handle it.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Milk it for all it's worth Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
kame wrote:
Mindslicer wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=can-southern-us-cut-coal

Quote:
The EPA rules require new and existing coal- and oil-fired plants to reduce air pollutants – including mercury, arsenic, chromium, nickel, hydrochloric acid and hydrofluoric acid, among others – by 2015. Fine particles and sulfur dioxide emissions also must be reduced.

Nationwide, 40 percent of all coal-fired burners covered by the new standards will need upgraded pollution controls, the EPA estimates.

Those upgrades will cost utilities $9.6 billion, but the health benefits in 2016 alone from the reduced pollution range from $37 billion to $90 billion, according to the EPA.

How's that for a healthcare overhaul?

And the Big Dig was only going to cost $2.8 billion.

Oh look, mindslicer brought his Straw Man with him.

Nope, merely pointing out that the government doesn't have a strong track record of accurately estimating the cost of... well, anything.

Oh?

Let me assure you, the government is quite capable of estimating the costs involved with most projects, but they are simply more interested in lining their pockets with dosh.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Dogen wrote:
it's not really a free education

Who's calling it free?

Well...

That's the link you posted.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: a ploy to attract more people to Oregon pop: 3,899,353? Reply with quote

Which of the 7 Oregon State Universities are the best at what they specialize in?
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuition free =/= free.

EDIT: Aha, did not see the image text.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: a ploy to attract more people to Oregon pop: 3,899,353? Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Which of the 7 Oregon State Universities are the best at what they specialize in?

Beats me, I've never attended any of them except OHSU.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: a ploy to attract more people to Oregon pop: 3,899,353? Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:

U of O has been national contenders in football for many years running. I'm pretty sure thats what that university specializes in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad because it's true.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo . . .

The state of Florida 'accidentally' banned computers, cell phones, and pretty much everything connected to the internet:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/08/florida-banned-computers_n_3561701.html

Florida Accidentally Banned All Computers, Smart Phones In The State Through Internet Cafe Ban: Lawsuit
Posted: 07/08/2013 11:59 am EDT | Updated: 07/09/2013 10:00 am EDT

Quote:
When Florida lawmakers recently voted to ban all Internet cafes, they worded the bill so poorly that they effectively outlawed every computer in the state, according to a recent lawsuit.

In April Florida Governor Rick Scott approved a ban on slot machines and Internet cafes after a charity tied to Lt. Governor Jennifer Carroll was shut down on suspicion of being an Internet gambling front -- forcing Carroll, who had consulted with the charity, to resign.

Florida's 1,000 Internet cafes were shut down immediately, including Miami-Dade's Incredible Investments, LLC, a café that provides online services to migrant workers, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

The owner, Consuelo Zapata, is now suing the state after her legal team found that the ban was so hastily worded that it can be applied to any computer or device connected to the Internet, according to a copy of the complaint obtained by The Miami Herald.

The ban defines illegal slot machines as any "system or network of devices" that may be used in a game of chance.

And that broad wording can be applied to any number of devices, according to the Miami law firm of Kluger, Kaplan, Silverman, Katzen & Levine, who worked with constitutional law attorney and Harvard professor Alan Dershowitz.

The suit maintains that the ban was essentially passed "in a frenzy fueled by distorted judgment in the wake of a scandal that included the Lieutenant Governor’s resignation" and declares it unconstitutional.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing that happens south of the mason/dixon surprises me anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't blame this one on Southern ignorance.

Quote:
US agency baffled by modern technology, destroys mice to get rid of viruses
$170,000 of PCs, printers, keyboards, cameras, and mice destroyed in gross overreaction.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Can't blame this one on Southern ignorance.

Quote:
US agency baffled by modern technology, destroys mice to get rid of viruses
$170,000 of PCs, printers, keyboards, cameras, and mice destroyed in gross overreaction.

Actually it is technically possible, I believe, to make viruses that can hide in mice (give that they *do* have the ability to install their own driver software), though I imagine modifications might be needed.

But yes it is probably just because either A), they were silly, or B) After about 5 years of asking for computer upgrades/desperately needing them and not getting them, someone went "alright FINE, we will MAKE them get us new computers that don't start to lag after you open two microsoft word doccuments!"
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Device drivers are typically stored in a way that they can only be read from, not written to, after manufacture. I could buy B, except that it doesn't make sense to even go after the email server in that case.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico is now the fattest country on Earth

INT. PENTAGON

CHAIRMAN OF JOINT CHIEFS: We've activated the National Strategic Cheeseburger Reserve, Mr. President, but the CDC estimates that it will take several months for us to once again become the fattest nation in the world.

OBAMA: No, general. We need more than that. This is an emergency situation. Release all of the bacon.

CHAIRMAN OF JOINT CHIEFS: A-All of it, sir?

OBAMA: This is war, general. All of it.
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=183&GAID=12&GA=98&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=69231&SessionID=85

Illinois House and Senate have overridden the governor's veto, the final barrier to legalizing concealed carry. To be clear, this wasn't a pro-Second Amendment act - they were nearly to the court mandated deadline and would have (temporarily) become a constitutional carry state (no permits required, and open carrying firearms is acceptable). This was a last, desperate push to get a more restrictive law passed. It's simply interesting that IL is now our fiftieth state to allow concealed carry of firearms. Hell must be feeling a little chilly right about now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 710, 711, 712 ... 815, 816, 817  Next
Page 711 of 817

Jump to: