welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 717, 718, 719 ... 822, 823, 824  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17311
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately, the current florida government seems to be quite happy with the law as it is, and is unlikely to change it.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eiden



Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 401

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current Florida government is possessed of a capacity to make laws which accidentally ban all computers, tablets, and smartphones.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3316

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
Yeah, when things change from protest to riots, it never is good for your cause. Peaceful protest that makes you look good is going to be more effective. I get people are upset and kind of scared by all of it though. But the protests that have gotten out of hand...That definitely hurts what they're trying to do.


Back the bolded part up with something other than gut feeling and a complete lack of awareness of the events in the middle east please. Riots have often helped oppressed minorities in their cause. People just (rightfully) find them unpleasant and dangerous.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17311
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiden wrote:
The current Florida government is possessed of a capacity to make laws which accidentally ban all computers, tablets, and smartphones.


thus proving their wisdom and skill as lawmakers.

i guess we are lucky they haven't managed to pass a law that requires everyone to step out of their house with guns blazing every morning. because, hey, it's dangerous out there!
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mindslicer



Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 1855
Location: North of the People's Republic of Massachusetts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroit has filed for bankruptcy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17311
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, not too surprising.

wonder if there is enough left of the place to make restructuring reasonable, or if they should just turn out the lights and leave it to rot.

leaving the rest of us to wonder if this is a harbinger of the american future.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adyon



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 1163
Location: Behind my Cintiq

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Adyon wrote:
Yeah, when things change from protest to riots, it never is good for your cause. Peaceful protest that makes you look good is going to be more effective. I get people are upset and kind of scared by all of it though. But the protests that have gotten out of hand...That definitely hurts what they're trying to do.

Back the bolded part up with something other than gut feeling and a complete lack of awareness of the events in the middle east please. Riots have often helped oppressed minorities in their cause. People just (rightfully) find them unpleasant and dangerous.

Actually I had added an addendum in the middle of that bolded part that said, "unless you're overthrowing an oppressive regime" but I just thought it was another unnecessary tidbit that often leads to confusion in my overly wordy posts, so I cut it out. After all, I wasn't the only person who had that sentiment.

However, in most cases in the Middle-East, we've seen protests turn into riots when the government continued to push and ignore the protests. Protests that turn into riots without warranted provocation are the ones that hurt you. Those usually involve innocent people, like Mouse mentioned. Some riots break out quite quickly when the governments get out of hand and the situation arises. Those aren't bad either.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12263
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
well, not too surprising.

wonder if there is enough left of the place to make restructuring reasonable, or if they should just turn out the lights and leave it to rot.

This is the perfect time for a huge multinational corporation to buy up the city and rebuild it into Delta City, the image of Corporatism!
Yessir, any day now we can expect Omni Consumer Products to swoop in and set things on the path to a better tomorrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10811
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear they have some innovative ideas for law enforcement.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3316

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Adyon wrote:
Yeah, when things change from protest to riots, it never is good for your cause. Peaceful protest that makes you look good is going to be more effective. I get people are upset and kind of scared by all of it though. But the protests that have gotten out of hand...That definitely hurts what they're trying to do.

Back the bolded part up with something other than gut feeling and a complete lack of awareness of the events in the middle east please. Riots have often helped oppressed minorities in their cause. People just (rightfully) find them unpleasant and dangerous.

Actually I had added an addendum in the middle of that bolded part that said, "unless you're overthrowing an oppressive regime" but I just thought it was another unnecessary tidbit that often leads to confusion in my overly wordy posts, so I cut it out. After all, I wasn't the only person who had that sentiment.

However, in most cases in the Middle-East, we've seen protests turn into riots when the government continued to push and ignore the protests. Protests that turn into riots without warranted provocation are the ones that hurt you. Those usually involve innocent people, like Mouse mentioned. Some riots break out quite quickly when the governments get out of hand and the situation arises. Those aren't bad either.


Back up where you say peaceful protest is more effective. Occupy was a massive massive peaceful protest and accomplished....well basically nothing for all the sound and fury and number of people involved.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Him



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 4191
Location: On edge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Adyon wrote:
Yeah, when things change from protest to riots, it never is good for your cause. Peaceful protest that makes you look good is going to be more effective. I get people are upset and kind of scared by all of it though. But the protests that have gotten out of hand...That definitely hurts what they're trying to do.

Back the bolded part up with something other than gut feeling and a complete lack of awareness of the events in the middle east please. Riots have often helped oppressed minorities in their cause. People just (rightfully) find them unpleasant and dangerous.

Actually I had added an addendum in the middle of that bolded part that said, "unless you're overthrowing an oppressive regime" but I just thought it was another unnecessary tidbit that often leads to confusion in my overly wordy posts, so I cut it out. After all, I wasn't the only person who had that sentiment.

However, in most cases in the Middle-East, we've seen protests turn into riots when the government continued to push and ignore the protests. Protests that turn into riots without warranted provocation are the ones that hurt you. Those usually involve innocent people, like Mouse mentioned. Some riots break out quite quickly when the governments get out of hand and the situation arises. Those aren't bad either.

Which opens up the question what constitutes warranted provocation? I don't support riots, but I think it's far more important to understand why they happen rather than just condemn them. And again I think the "anti-Zimmerman riots" seem to be more of a, deliberate, media creation then something actually happening. Oh so some fence got torn down, some roads were blocked and some car window broken or whatever. Please. It's both an attempt to demonise black people and to try and split the pretty massive protest movement.
_________________
A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want? ~Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17311
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
mouse wrote:
well, not too surprising.

wonder if there is enough left of the place to make restructuring reasonable, or if they should just turn out the lights and leave it to rot.

This is the perfect time for a huge multinational corporation to buy up the city and rebuild it into Delta City, the image of Corporatism!
Yessir, any day now we can expect Omni Consumer Products to swoop in and set things on the path to a better tomorrow.


actually, npr had an interview with a detroit resident who said they ought to privatize everything - water, power, what have you. oh, and collect all the taxes everyone owes.

just as long as they kept paying pensions for former city employees (she was a retired police lieutenant).

then again, maybe she could get a job with Omni CP.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12263
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

President Obama's unannounced speech on the Martin/Zimmerman incident and aftermath.
Full speech
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6084
Location: California

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Sharpton pointed out that this is arguably the first time the President of the United States has publicly talked about, essentially, white privilege

not sure if that's true, and either way i doubt this is going to make much of a difference, but i found it cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17311
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only president i can imagine talking about race and privilege would be LBJ, when the civil rights legislation was passed. and he would have spoken more in terms of opportunities, i think (if he did talk about this at all).

certainly no other president has been able to talk about what white male privilege is like from the other side, let alone with Obama's authority.

i'm glad he made the speech. i wish congress though it worthwhile to act on.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 717, 718, 719 ... 822, 823, 824  Next
Page 718 of 824

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group