welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 717, 718, 719 ... 822, 823, 824  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately, the current florida government seems to be quite happy with the law as it is, and is unlikely to change it.
Eiden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current Florida government is possessed of a capacity to make laws which accidentally ban all computers, tablets, and smartphones.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
Yeah, when things change from protest to riots, it never is good for your cause. Peaceful protest that makes you look good is going to be more effective. I get people are upset and kind of scared by all of it though. But the protests that have gotten out of hand...That definitely hurts what they're trying to do.

Back the bolded part up with something other than gut feeling and a complete lack of awareness of the events in the middle east please. Riots have often helped oppressed minorities in their cause. People just (rightfully) find them unpleasant and dangerous.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiden wrote:
The current Florida government is possessed of a capacity to make laws which accidentally ban all computers, tablets, and smartphones.

thus proving their wisdom and skill as lawmakers.

i guess we are lucky they haven't managed to pass a law that requires everyone to step out of their house with guns blazing every morning. because, hey, it's dangerous out there!
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroit has filed for bankruptcy.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, not too surprising.

wonder if there is enough left of the place to make restructuring reasonable, or if they should just turn out the lights and leave it to rot.

leaving the rest of us to wonder if this is a harbinger of the american future.
Adyon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Adyon wrote:
Yeah, when things change from protest to riots, it never is good for your cause. Peaceful protest that makes you look good is going to be more effective. I get people are upset and kind of scared by all of it though. But the protests that have gotten out of hand...That definitely hurts what they're trying to do.

Back the bolded part up with something other than gut feeling and a complete lack of awareness of the events in the middle east please. Riots have often helped oppressed minorities in their cause. People just (rightfully) find them unpleasant and dangerous.

Actually I had added an addendum in the middle of that bolded part that said, "unless you're overthrowing an oppressive regime" but I just thought it was another unnecessary tidbit that often leads to confusion in my overly wordy posts, so I cut it out. After all, I wasn't the only person who had that sentiment.

However, in most cases in the Middle-East, we've seen protests turn into riots when the government continued to push and ignore the protests. Protests that turn into riots without warranted provocation are the ones that hurt you. Those usually involve innocent people, like Mouse mentioned. Some riots break out quite quickly when the governments get out of hand and the situation arises. Those aren't bad either.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

wonder if there is enough left of the place to make restructuring reasonable, or if they should just turn out the lights and leave it to rot.

This is the perfect time for a huge multinational corporation to buy up the city and rebuild it into Delta City, the image of Corporatism!
Yessir, any day now we can expect Omni Consumer Products to swoop in and set things on the path to a better tomorrow.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear they have some innovative ideas for law enforcement.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Adyon wrote:

Actually I had added an addendum in the middle of that bolded part that said, "unless you're overthrowing an oppressive regime" but I just thought it was another unnecessary tidbit that often leads to confusion in my overly wordy posts, so I cut it out. After all, I wasn't the only person who had that sentiment.

However, in most cases in the Middle-East, we've seen protests turn into riots when the government continued to push and ignore the protests. Protests that turn into riots without warranted provocation are the ones that hurt you. Those usually involve innocent people, like Mouse mentioned. Some riots break out quite quickly when the governments get out of hand and the situation arises. Those aren't bad either.

Back up where you say peaceful protest is more effective. Occupy was a massive massive peaceful protest and accomplished....well basically nothing for all the sound and fury and number of people involved.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Adyon wrote:

Which opens up the question what constitutes warranted provocation? I don't support riots, but I think it's far more important to understand why they happen rather than just condemn them. And again I think the "anti-Zimmerman riots" seem to be more of a, deliberate, media creation then something actually happening. Oh so some fence got torn down, some roads were blocked and some car window broken or whatever. Please. It's both an attempt to demonise black people and to try and split the pretty massive protest movement.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
mouse wrote:

This is the perfect time for a huge multinational corporation to buy up the city and rebuild it into Delta City, the image of Corporatism!
Yessir, any day now we can expect Omni Consumer Products to swoop in and set things on the path to a better tomorrow.

actually, npr had an interview with a detroit resident who said they ought to privatize everything - water, power, what have you. oh, and collect all the taxes everyone owes.

just as long as they kept paying pensions for former city employees (she was a retired police lieutenant).

then again, maybe she could get a job with Omni CP.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

President Obama's unannounced speech on the Martin/Zimmerman incident and aftermath.
Full speech
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Sharpton pointed out that this is arguably the first time the President of the United States has publicly talked about, essentially, white privilege

not sure if that's true, and either way i doubt this is going to make much of a difference, but i found it cool
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only president i can imagine talking about race and privilege would be LBJ, when the civil rights legislation was passed. and he would have spoken more in terms of opportunities, i think (if he did talk about this at all).

certainly no other president has been able to talk about what white male privilege is like from the other side, let alone with Obama's authority.

i'm glad he made the speech. i wish congress though it worthwhile to act on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 717, 718, 719 ... 822, 823, 824  Next
Page 718 of 824

Jump to: