welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 721, 722, 723 ... 806, 807, 808  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10262
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
Him wrote:
NYPD Police Chief gets stopped by plainclothes officers under the suspicion of...driving while black. Clearly.


C'mon now, he was smoking crack ala Marion Barry or waiting for hookers ala Charlie Sheen and the two knuckleheads were looking to shakedown some rich colored folk. I'm calling them all out on being pieces of shit, basically because both sides seem like their leaving stuff out. Our system is so broken I no longer assume any sort of increased moral standard in an individual's decisions simply because they are 'a police officer', which is pretty fucked up since our system is based upon that very assumption i.e. those who uphold and enforce moral standards are people who believe and practice a higher standard of morals.

Anymore and the majority of time all you'll hear from a cop is a sentiment along the lines of "it's just like any other job -- it's a paycheck."
While I appreciate your sentiment about cops you seem to have gotten this a bit twisted...there's no reason to believe Chief Douglas Zeigler is guilty of anything other than driving while black. That's kind of how racial profiling works. Zeigler was considered suspect solely based on his ethnicity.

No, I assumed he was likely corrupt simply because he's an NYC cop, and in particular a cop with power and authority. Wink

Did you forget?


_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12080
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The University of California is going fully Open Access.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12080
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The National Science Foundation decides it's not going to fund any political science grants this year because Congress burdened it with a ridiculous mandate to weigh potential economic benefits and national security implications of any grants in poli-sci. They got tired of being asked to do the impossible, so they're just not going to do.
This same kind of ridiculousness was almost imposed on their grant selection process in ALL fields of science.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fritterdonut



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 1151
Location: Hedonism

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
national security implications


Excuse me while I jam a pencil in my eye socket.
_________________
So I came upon a shanty town
Full of bitter men
Where carved into a crude wood sign
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Arc Tempest



Joined: 28 Jan 2007
Posts: 4887
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like an easy mandate to me. At least for poly sci.

Economic Impact: lol wut?

National Security Impact: lol wut?
_________________
The older I get, the more certain I become of one thing. True and abiding cynicism is simply a form of cowardice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Him



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 4175
Location: On edge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this just happened:
"In the big council race, socialist Kshama Sawant (pictured above) won a stunning 33 percent while incumbent Richard Conlin—with all the backing, the cash, and name recognition—won only 49 percent of the vote. With Brian Carver out of the race, and the electorate clearly unenthused about the prospect of Conlin taking a fifth term, Conlin will have to fight for his seat for the first time since he was elected in the early 1700s."

And witty though the stranger may be this may be my favourite commentary on the election: "Mstt, as a Seattlite I can tell you that Sawant being a socialist was barely known...most voted for hiim (not sure if msle or fenale) brcause of the pretty yardsigns. Btw Conlin (like most seattle councilman) is teetering on the socualist edge."

Seattle hasn't had a Republican member of City council since 1991 you say? I wonder why.
_________________
A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want? ~Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tekii



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 184

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Conlin dude has been in the council since the 1700's? Shouldn't he be dead?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fritterdonut



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 1151
Location: Hedonism

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus fucking christ, a $15/hour minimum wage?

Small time businesses are going to have a fun time with that if it passes.
_________________
So I came upon a shanty town
Full of bitter men
Where carved into a crude wood sign
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Him



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 4175
Location: On edge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Jesus fucking christ, a $15/hour minimum wage?

Small time businesses are going to have a fun time with that if it passes.

Well Kshama Sawant does address that:

"Research does show that a minimum wage increase can initially pose difficulty to some small businesses. However, this can be addressed by increasing taxes on big business (which are at historically low rates) and eliminating corporate welfare to subsidize small businesses, along with cutting B&O and property tax burden on small businesses.

But the main danger facing working people and small businesses is the continued proliferation of low wages. The economy is reeling with over 20 million people unemployed or underemployed, a low-wage workforce, a collapse of the housing bubble, and staggering consumer and student debt. Raising wages is a vital measure to break out of the depressionary spiral.

Statistical studies show a positive impact of wage increases on jobs. When working people have more income, their spending power goes up, which in turn boosts sales, which further increases jobs and overall spending power, and so on."
_________________
A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want? ~Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fritterdonut



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 1151
Location: Hedonism

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Statistical studies show a positive impact of wage increases on jobs. When working people have more income, their spending power goes up, which in turn boosts sales, which further increases jobs and overall spending power, and so on."


http://www.nber.org/papers/w12663.pdf

Minimum Wages and Employment: A Review of Evidence from the New Minimum Wage Research
David Neumark & William Wascher
Abstract wrote:
However, the oft-stated assertion that recent research fails to support the traditional view that the minimum wage reduces the employment of low-wage workers is clearly incorrect. A sizable majority of the studies surveyed in this monograph give a relatively consistent (although not always statistically significant) indication of negative employment effects of minimum wages.


And while the subjectivity of Neumark & Wascher's paper is perhaps questionable, another British study that looked at 65 studies of teenage employment rates in relation to minimum wages produced the following chart:



The highest accuracy figures (+Y-Axis) tend to show a net slightly negative effect on employability (-X Axis).
_________________
So I came upon a shanty town
Full of bitter men
Where carved into a crude wood sign
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Him



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 4175
Location: On edge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durr I forgot to include the link that's in the original. Here is the statistical study referred to.
_________________
A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want? ~Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fritterdonut



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 1151
Location: Hedonism

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Durr I forgot to include the link that's in the original. Here is the statistical study referred to.


It should be noted however, that that paper is based off a minimum wage increase of 18% ($4.25 to $5.05). The increase that Sawant proposes is a 63% increase ($9.19 to $15).

This of course means that if a business employs 2 minimum wage employees, it will effectively be paying what it would have paid 3 employees (and a bit) to do.

Working a 40 hour work week (full time, 8 hours a day), a minimum wage employee would make $28,800 a year. For perspective, a fresh graduate with a BSc. in Chemistry makes a median salary of $40,000 (Median income for college graduates in all fields: $46,412 a year). That's after 4 years of university and an average student debt of $28,720 in student loans.

Links:
http://cen.acs.org/articles/91/i16/New-Graduate-Salaries.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/10/student-loan-debt-median-income_n_3573683.html
_________________
So I came upon a shanty town
Full of bitter men
Where carved into a crude wood sign
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sojobo



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 2433

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Working a 40 hour work week (full time, 8 hours a day), a minimum wage employee would make $28,800 a year. For perspective, a fresh graduate with a BSc. in Chemistry makes a median salary of $40,000 (Median income for college graduates in all fields: $46,412 a year). That's after 4 years of university and an average student debt of $28,720 in student loans.

The tone I get from this is that you find this comparison truly, truly, truly outrageous. I imagine your avatar flashing us a Dubya Incredulous Smirk™, expecting us all to be outraged at how outrageous it would be for uneducates to be paid 70% as much as real people.

Just so you know, I do not find it outrageous. That actually sounds very fair to me - certainly when compared to the $9.19 minimum wage, which yields earnings less than half of your specifically-chosen-because-it-is-low chemist salary.
_________________
"To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others."
- Anne-Sophie Swetchine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fritterdonut



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 1151
Location: Hedonism

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
Working a 40 hour work week (full time, 8 hours a day), a minimum wage employee would make $28,800 a year. For perspective, a fresh graduate with a BSc. in Chemistry makes a median salary of $40,000 (Median income for college graduates in all fields: $46,412 a year). That's after 4 years of university and an average student debt of $28,720 in student loans.

The tone I get from this is that you find this comparison truly, truly, truly outrageous. I imagine your avatar flashing us a Dubya Incredulous Smirk™, expecting us all to be outraged at how outrageous it would be for uneducates to be paid 70% as much as real people.

Just so you know, I do not find it outrageous. That actually sounds very fair to me - certainly when compared to the $9.19 minimum wage, which yields earnings less than half of your specifically-chosen-because-it-is-low chemist salary.


Actually, I chose chemistry because it was the degree I was formerly planning to get. I'm sure you could find other degrees with lower paying salaries than chemistry (Psychology apparently starts at $30,000, Anthropology at $28,000, Early Childhood Education at $38,000).

Also, I'd like to make it clear: I don't support keeping the minimum wage where it currently is at. But at the same time, I think increasing it by 60% all in one go is going to cause more issues than it will solve. We (meaning BC) raised ours from $8.75 to $10.25 (17%) in increments over the course of a year.

Now excuse me, I have to go practice my Dubya Incredulous Smirk™ in the mirror to get it jusssssssst right.
_________________
So I came upon a shanty town
Full of bitter men
Where carved into a crude wood sign
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mindslicer



Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 1791
Location: North of the People's Republic of Massachusetts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's say it only takes two employees to produce a hamburger. A cook to prepare and assemble it, and a cashier to accept payment and provide it to a customer. How many hamburgers would you have to sell in an hour to make $30 to pay them? Note that you have to buy the materials to make the burger, pay utilities, pay a lease on the building, provide health insurance, maybe provide uniforms, have your business insured, and probably some expenses I'm forgetting, so the profit margin on a hamburger is measured in cents, not dollars.

These two employees would also have to train themselves effectively, keep the building clean, receive supplies when delivered, and handle any management issues or you need to find a way to pay more employees.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 721, 722, 723 ... 806, 807, 808  Next
Page 722 of 808

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group