welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 737, 738, 739 ... 821, 822, 823  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Him

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Case for Kshama Sawant
The Case Against Richard Conlin

City Inside/Out TV interview and debate between the two candidates.

Well I'm excited.
CTrees

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-minus 4hrs, 35mins until the government shutdown. The previous record is 21 days, but conditions are good for a record run.

stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I had thought they were voting last night, was looking forward to ending the suspense already.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the House voted. Passed on another "let's fund the government for six more weeks, but also shit on Obamacare." The Senate voted on that version and (obviously) rejected it in like five minutes.

I mean I guess there's a non-zero chance we won't have a shutdown, or that something will be passed at 12:30am like one of the previous times they did this dance, but yeah we're probably doing this.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read earlier the current congress has a 10% approval rating. I can't believe they even have that 10%.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I read earlier the current congress has a 10% approval rating. I can't believe they even have that 10%.

Reelection rates are much better. Basically, everyone thinks Congress sucks except for the persons for whom they vote.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prepared to buy as much stuff from the US as possible if the government shutdown actually happens.

Y'know, to support them and stuff. Definitely not because the exchange rate would be favorable Twisted Evil

On that note, stock markets are already freaking out.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Toronto+stock+market+head+sharply+lower+government+shutdown/8976492/story.html
Quote:
TORONTO - The Toronto stock market closed lower Monday as hopes faded that an 11th-hour deal would emerge on a compromise budget bill that would prevent a partial shutdown of the U.S. government at midnight.

The S&P/TSX composite index closed down 56.89 points to 12,787.19 as worry about the economic effect of such a shutdown depressed most sectors.

Quote:
The Dow Jones industrials was down as much as 171 points Monday before finishing the day 128.57 points lower at 15,129.67. The Nasdaq fell 10.11 points to 3,771.48 and the S&P 500 index lost 10.2 points to 1,681.55.

Edit: Annnnnnd the federal government of the United States of America is officially 'shut down'.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how our political climate has become so fucked up that our government bargains with the entire national economy... And will do it again with the world economy later this month with the debt ceiling negotiations (because the US has never defaulted on its debt before).

How crazy are we?
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
How crazy are we?

Moor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US government is so crazy it's going to deliberately the economy.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be less pissed if I didn't have a half billion resumes out with the Forest Service and BLM that are now in limbo until the shitheads in Congress stop acting like children.
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Health care exchange tidbit!

The website(s) for health insurance enrollment under Obamacare went live today. So, the VP I work with closely decided to check it out, see how it was functioning. "We have too many visitors. Please try again later." One, it's somewhat amusing that it's going the way of Simcity's login problems. What's far more amusing is that apparently my company is the one that's running all of this. We have like two hundred people on the project, and... people can't login because the servers can't handle the load.

We're awesome

(note: please excuse my insanity today. everyone at work is panicking over the shutdown, because it directly impacts our ability to get paid)
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local Washington State website for it is down. Luckily I signed up for updates, so maybe it'll email me when it is open and working.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, at the very least, we don;t have to worry about going over the Debt Ceiling cliff. *There*, the president has a few outs, including just going "14th Amendment, fuckers. Debt of the united states must be considered valid. Double dog dare you to try and impeach me."
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if the exchange websites are going down because there is that much legitimate traffic that wants to check it out, or if it's being DDOS'ed by butthurt teabaggers, or both

they've been DDOSing the entire nation in Congress anyway so i guess they might as well actually DDOS the websites
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 737, 738, 739 ... 821, 822, 823  Next
Page 738 of 823

Jump to: