welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 738, 739, 740 ... 811, 812, 813  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the .gov sites that are shutting down vs. the ones that are staying up.

I have a question that I'm hoping somebody can answer.
Let's say that somebody works for the government normally, but in a "non-essential" position. Because of the shutdown they're not working now and aren't getting paid. Let's imagine that this goes on for a while and it's looking inevitable that they won't be able to pay bills and make loan payments on time, through no fault of their own.
What are their options? Can they get their bills deferred due to extenuating circumstances? If their credit suffers, or if they have to default on a loan, do they just have to suck it up and take it? Can they sue?
Felgraf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
There really doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the .gov sites that are shutting down vs. the ones that are staying up.

Let's say that somebody works for the government normally, but in a "non-essential" position. Because of the shutdown they're not working now and aren't getting paid. Let's imagine that this goes on for a while and it's looking inevitable that they won't be able to pay bills and make loan payments on time, through no fault of their own.
What are their options? Can they get their bills deferred due to extenuating circumstances? If their credit suffers, or if they have to default on a loan, do they just have to suck it up and take it? Can they sue?

Their options are: They're screwed, pretty much.

/No, really, I'm 99% sure this is the case.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damned if i know. i'm guessing it will depend on the individual creditors - so you might get your landlord to wait for the rent, but good luck with the power company.

i will predict that, if this lasts any length of time, and particularly if people don't get back pay, we will find out pretty quickly if they can sue.

i'd suggest spending the down time camped out at your representative's office. i'm thinking the only way they can save face is to admit that they've had a shit-ton of people complaining about the shutdown, since they said they were voting to kill obamacare because that is what "everybody" wants. so once everybody says "drop it already", they can maybe claim that, while they personally think it's going to be bad for the country, they are responding to the demands of their constituents.
TIAB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine that it would be treated as a lay off, or basically that such a person would qualify for unemployment benefits and whatever protections that allows.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

Unemployment payments are generally funded in part by the Federal Government, but dispersed via the states.

I would check with your state's Unemployment compensation office. Certain types of layoffs qualify, others don't, while other require you to be laid off X numbers of days.

There's also state unemployment as well.

I think your questioned might be answered here: http://dew.sc.gov/claim-eligible.asp

That may or may not be comprehensive.

Also, A LOT of companies have been more willing to work with people who have lost their jobs. My mortgage company, for instance, allows for several months of deferment for loss of income status.

Oh, and it depends if your state is debitor or creditor friendly. In PA, for instance, a credit card company can't garnish wages to collect on past due balances, while in NJ they can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
i wonder if the exchange websites are going down because there is that much legitimate traffic that wants to check it out, or if it's being DDOS'ed by butthurt teabaggers, or both

they've been DDOSing the entire nation in Congress anyway so i guess they might as well actually DDOS the websites

How about overwhelming complexity?

The system is supposed to communicate with existing IRS, Treasury, Social Security, Homeland Security, and HHS computer systems, and with each of fifty state Medicaid systems, and then with the systems of however many carriers will be providing insurance plans. All in a secure fashion to protect private information. While abiding by HIPAA laws. For (presumably) millions of users. In something close to real time.

Good. Luck.

Some of that is being delayed (like the income verification system), but it's still a daunting task for anyone to undertake. Far simpler government IT projects were abandoned, like the FBI's Virtual Case File system, and that was an entirely internal project.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine you'd have yo ask individual places you owe money to to help you out. I'm just glad that SSI payments and military pay are carrying on. I hope FEMA continues to be able to offer assistance.

The Washington State site is finally working for me. I'ma try signing up right now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad It is not working for me. Wahealthplanfinder is being nitpicky about my username/password, and then when I get everything all filled out it glitches out. Very disappointing.

I'll give it another try in a couple hours.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't taken long for roving gangs to impose their own law on the populace.

http://freebeacon.com/wwii-vets-knock-over-shutdown-barrier-to-visit-wwii-memorial/
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those militants!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Sad It is not working for me. Wahealthplanfinder is being nitpicky about my username/password, and then when I get everything all filled out it glitches out. Very disappointing.

I'll give it another try in a couple hours.

In OR they reported that the site was unresponsive and glitchy most of the day due to huge traffic. Apparently wait times on the phone system were also huge.

It's interesting because a recent poll found that 64% of Americans didn't know the exchanges went into effect today, and in OR all they had were billboards that said, "Long live Oregonians," and, "Cover Oregon," but nothing with a date on it (which I thought was weird - why pay for all that advertising but not tell people when they could sign up?).
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this on Facebook, but I think it needs more coverage:

http://www.familiesusa.org/resources/tools-for-advocates/guides/federal-poverty-guidelines.html

Soup to nuts version of immediate changes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBr3fniyb4w&feature=share
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jenny McCarthy, Jim Carey, and all the other "anti-vaccine" advocates: http://news.yahoo.com/vaccine-refusal-contributes-whooping-cough-outbreaks-113017436.html
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Thank you Jenny McCarthy, Jim Carey, and all the other "anti-vaccine" advocates: http://news.yahoo.com/vaccine-refusal-contributes-whooping-cough-outbreaks-113017436.html

But if they just feed their kids HEALTHY, the kids will be immune from disease!

After all, everyone knows polio and smallpox and stuff came from people eating hyper-processed, modern day foods. They weren't eating NATURAL foods.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And whooping cough is just so natural, Let's all be natural and die of organic diseases we could cure with our scientific knowledge. Natural.

So GOP lawmakers tried to reopen the WWII memorial and failed.

http://swampland.time.com/2013/10/02/government-shutdown-ww-ii-vets-say-feds-should-be-ashamed-for-closing-their-memorial/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 738, 739, 740 ... 811, 812, 813  Next
Page 739 of 813

Jump to: