welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 740, 741, 742 ... 822, 823, 824  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I consciously knew all this before, but this is (a) like all here, (b) with great data, and (c) wonderful quotes at on the last page.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/magazine/why-are-there-still-so-few-women-in-science.html?_r=0
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
CTrees wrote:
Did the woman in the car have a gun, or was in just the police shooting at her? Everything I'm seeing now is vague - "ended in gunfire," "shots were fired," etc., all passive voice...

Edit: http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/03/politics/u-s-capitol-shooting-main/index.html?c=mobile-homepage-t&page=2 CNN is now saying "Multiple sources told CNN that it is not believed at this point any shots were fired from the car and no weapon has been found so far." So it's still crazy that she tried to... drive into the Capital building? I don't know.

It would appear only police did the shooting.

The woman in the car is also confirmed dead, shot by police. Also confirmed, there was a baby in the car which was taken to hospital for examination.

http://www.heavy.com/news/2013/10/capitol-shooting-shots-fired-capitol-building/

This story is sounding more and more bizarre. A woman, driving what seems to be a $60,000 or $70,000 car with a baby in the back tries to ram the gates of the White House, resulting in her being shot by police, all in a very crowded area.

How completely and utterly nutterly.

Edit: To cap it all off, it appears the woman was forced over on Constitution Avenue, abandoned her vehicle, and was shot by the Secret Service while attempting to escape on foot?

I'm picking up the following from people who are currently reading news articles in the room I am in and talking about them:

* mental health problems that had been treated (but maybe inadequately)
* thought she was a prophet and was going to go speak to Obama -- no hostile intent
* friendly fire killed two police officers
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: The Federal Government Shutdown

Quote:
One thousand years ago, there lived two very magical winged unicorns, and they ruled the land with a two-party political system that involved frequent conflict! One pony, due to being more popular at the time, got some laws passed. The other pony, in turn, became consumed by jealousy and summoned a horrible rain of meteors to kill everyone. Naturally, this somewhat hurt the second pony's approval rating, and she was banished to live on the moon for a while.

I sometimes wonder what it takes in a man's life to become a politician. Maybe it's that horrible, dawning realization that nobody becomes a tyrannosaurus rex when they grow up. Somehow this causes a person to want to pass laws. I wouldn't know.

For those wondering: yes, our credits are managed by a government employee. The feds want to make sure we have highly regulated credits, but ultimately it's considered a non-essential service.

mouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm really impressed by all the people who are just thrilled that we are no longer paying for all those non-essential employees ("because if they are non-essential, why are they working for us?") despite having utterly no idea of what, exactly, the government classes as "essential" in terms of a shut-down (basically, just people who are there to handle immediately dangerous situations), what other services the government actually supplies (which may not always be "essential" but are often pretty darn useful), and what kind of a toll it takes on those 800,000 people who suddenly aren't getting paid. npr was talking to some tea party organizer who admitted it had never occurred to her to think about all those furloughed employees.

reminding her didn't move her off the party line, of course.

seems those people need to read more literature.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the workers at the EPA are considered "non-essential", also the FTC, also 85,000 out of 94,000 IRS workers , as well as most of HUD, NASA, and the USDA.

More hard numbers: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/09/politics/government-shutdown-impact/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right. because monitoring pollution events or even just general air and water quality, to say nothing of cleaning up those events and _especially_ coming up with regulations to keep some people from accidentally or purposely poisoning the rest of us - how important can any of that be?

also the national institute of health has large chunks shut down, because what are we doing funding medical research anyway? i'm sure there's a long line of private companies lined up to do basic research in areas that, while critical to our understanding, are unlikely to produce anything that will be immediately profitable.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean , like NASA, right? WTF did they ever give us?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies

OR as business insider puts it:

Quote:
NASA is often criticized for wasting taxpayer dollars. The $2.5-billion rover that recently landed on Mars has brought this issue to center focus once again.
But the Space Program's research and advancements extend well beyond spaceflight into everyday life. Since the agency's creation in 1958, technologies originally developed for space missions have been adapted for commercial products and services on Earth.

To prove this point, every year since the mid-1970s, NASA has published a list of space technologies that have been integrated into everyday items. The tangible benefits span from life-saving medical devices to protective eyewear. To date, NASA has documented nearly 1,800 "spinoff" technologies. Here's a short list.

Artificial limbs
Baby formula
Cell-phone cameras
Computer mouse
Cordless tools
Ear thermometer
Firefighter gear
Freeze-dried food
Golf clubs
Long-distance communication
Invisible braces
MRI and CAT scans
Memory foam
Safer highways
Solar panels
Shoe insoles
Ski boots
Adjustable smoke detector
Water filters
UV-blocking sunglasses

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/everyday-items-developed-by-nasa-2012-8#ixzz2gngiro7b

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add one to this list:

Man sets himself on fire on the National Mall

http://news.yahoo.com/man-sets-himself-fire-national-mall-211611659.html

ERIC TUCKER 10 minutes ago

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — A man set himself on fire on the National Mall in the nation's capital as passers-by rushed over to help douse the flames, officials and witnesses said Friday afternoon.

The reason for the self-immolation was not immediately clear and the man's identity was not disclosed. But it occurred in public view, on a central national gathering place, in a city still rattled by a mass shooting last month and a high-speed car chase outside the U.S. Capitol on Thursday that ended with a woman being shot dead by police.

The man on the Mall suffered life-threatening injuries and was airlifted to the hospital, said District of Columbia fire department spokesman Tim Wilson.

He was standing by himself in the center portion of the Mall when he emptied the contents of a red gasoline can on himself and set himself on fire moments later, said Katy Scheflen, who witnessed it as she walked across the area. Police say they responded around 4:20 p.m. Friday.

Scheflen said passing joggers took off their shirts in an effort to help douse the flames, and the man was clearly alive as the fire spread. A police department spokesman said he was conscious and breathing at the scene. MedStar Washington Hospital Center tweeted that the man was taken there and he was in critical condition.

"There was not a lot people could do because it was a gasoline fire," Scheflen said.

She said he may have said something before he acted "but it was nothing intelligible." She said she did not see him holding any signs before he set himself ablaze and that there was another man with a tripod set up near him but did not mention if he was filming.

Lt. Pamela Smith of the U.S. Park Police, which is investigating along with the D.C. police department, said: "I'm not aware of any signage or any articulation of any causes."

The D.C. police department has dispatched its violent crimes branch, which responds to cases in which a person suffers serious injury.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be a way to force a vote on a clean Continuing Resolution bill in the House.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
There may be a way to force a vote on a clean Continuing Resolution bill in the House.

That would be amazing if they could do it! Maybe they can try and have one of these things handy for the next fight (After the debt ceiling one, because I'm sure there'll be another.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More shutdown spite from the federal government.

Quote:
Blocking access to trails and programs at South Dakota’s most popular attraction was one thing, but state officials didn’t expect Congress’ budget stalemate to shut down a view of Mount Rushmore.

The National Park Service placed cones along highway viewing areas outside Mount Rushmore this week, barring visitors from pulling over and taking pictures of the famed monument.

The cones first went up Oct. 1, said Dusty Johnson, Gov. Dennis Daugaard’s chief of staff. The state asked that they be taken down, and federal officials did so with some of them. The state was told the cones were a safety precaution to help channel cars into viewing areas rather than to bar their entrance.

“I think reasonable people can disagree about that,” Johnson said.

The cones were down again Friday as a blizzard hit the Black Hills and plows needed access to the roads, Johnson said. He said the state would be monitoring to see whether the cones are put back along viewing areas.

“Once the snow’s off the ground, we’re going to be keeping an eye on how the cones go up,” Johnson said.

Seems like blocking off the shoulders of highways might be a safety hazard. Not as if there's road work going on.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, Mindslicer. This is all unnecessary stuff explicitly planned to make the locals and tourists angry. All part of Obama's master strategy. I'm surprised he can lotion his hands enough to heal the damage from rubbing them together in evil glee all the time.

John Boehner could take lessons from this guy. All he's done is shut down the fucking government and threaten to make us default on our debt because using the normal legislative process to repeal one particular law wasn't working the 40 something times they tried. I'm glad you're here to remind us that Boehner's threat is just a side-show to the real shenanigans.

Last edited by WheelsOfConfusion on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
More shutdown spite from the federal government.

Quote:
Blocking access to trails and programs at South Dakota’s most popular attraction was one thing, but state officials didn’t expect Congress’ budget stalemate to shut down a view of Mount Rushmore.

The National Park Service placed cones along highway viewing areas outside Mount Rushmore this week, barring visitors from pulling over and taking pictures of the famed monument.

The cones first went up Oct. 1, said Dusty Johnson, Gov. Dennis Daugaard’s chief of staff. The state asked that they be taken down, and federal officials did so with some of them. The state was told the cones were a safety precaution to help channel cars into viewing areas rather than to bar their entrance.

“I think reasonable people can disagree about that,” Johnson said.

The cones were down again Friday as a blizzard hit the Black Hills and plows needed access to the roads, Johnson said. He said the state would be monitoring to see whether the cones are put back along viewing areas.

“Once the snow’s off the ground, we’re going to be keeping an eye on how the cones go up,” Johnson said.

Seems like blocking off the shoulders of highways might be a safety hazard. Not as if there's road work going on.

Seems like the do nothing conservative party in congress should get their lazy welfare receiving asses back to work imo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Seems like the do nothing conservative party in congress should get their lazy welfare receiving asses back to work imo.

They are working, Monkey. They're busy blaming park rangers for the shutdown of national parks and memorials. This same guy went public just the other day with a declaration that he'd hold up the budget for as long as it takes to make the President cave in to his minority party's demands, because this one piece of legislation is apparently far more important than having a functioning government.
You think that kind of mental gymnastics is effortless? That just any old idiot could do it?
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds silly to close off a freeway... almost as silly as costing the economy an estimated $300 million per day because they don't like a law that was passed and deemed constitutional by SCOTUS. Instead of, "I'm taking my ball and going home," we've got, "I'm taking my ball and burning your house down."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 740, 741, 742 ... 822, 823, 824  Next
Page 741 of 824

Jump to: