welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 747, 748, 749 ... 825, 826, 827  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a tent?

Walmart definitely hoped to get away with it. I'm very glad they didn't.

I've never liked all the getting-sand-in-my-shoe stuff, though...
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This situation is literately decades old, if not older:

Cause everybody in the hood has had it up to here
It's getting harder and harder and harder each and every year
Some kids went in a store with their mother
I saw her when she came out she was getting some Pampers
They said it was for the black man
They said it was for the Mexican, and not for the white man
But if you look at the streets it wasn't about Rodney King
It's bout this fucked up situation and these fucked up police
It's about coming up and staying on top

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

What exactly do the LA Riots have to do with anything?
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~~THE RUSSIAN-NETHERLANDS DRAMA SERIES CONTINUES~~

Tuesday evening the Dutch ambassador in Russia was tied up in his home and his room ransacked by two 'electricians' who were there to check the lighting. As far as known, the ambassador or anyone else wasn't harmed and nothing was stolen. On the mirror was written a small note with the letters lgbt, possibly referring to the fact that Holland is one of the world's leading countries when it comes to wanting and active LGBT progression. A few Russian government officials said they were outraged. To no one's surprise, Poetin said nothing.

Considering the way the ambassador was treated, it's obvious they simply wanted to target Holland, perhaps attempt to further sour the relationship between Russia and Holland. Russian police reported that somehow the cameras stopped working about two hours before the incident, leading Dutch people to believe the Russian government set this in motion. Right now the true suspects and their motives are unknown.

His Majesty Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima plan to visit Russia this year, already they are pressured to talk with the Human Rights groups in Russia.

Stay tuned for possibly another episode of RUSSIA VS HOLLAND coming soon to your forum!
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
~~THE RUSSIAN-NETHERLANDS DRAMA SERIES CONTINUES~~

Tuesday evening the Dutch ambassador in Russia was tied up in his home and his room ransacked by two 'electricians' who were there to check the lighting. As far as known, the ambassador or anyone else wasn't harmed and nothing was stolen. On the mirror was written a small note with the letters lgbt, possibly referring to the fact that Holland is one of the world's leading countries when it comes to wanting and active LGBT progression. A few Russian government officials said they were outraged. To no one's surprise, Poetin said nothing.

Considering the way the ambassador was treated, it's obvious they simply wanted to target Holland, perhaps attempt to further sour the relationship between Russia and Holland. Russian police reported that somehow the cameras stopped working about two hours before the incident, leading Dutch people to believe the Russian government set this in motion. Right now the true suspects and their motives are unknown.

His Majesty Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima plan to visit Russia this year, already they are pressured to talk with the Human Rights groups in Russia.

Stay tuned for possibly another episode of RUSSIA VS HOLLAND coming soon to your forum!

You know, the a previous time Russia picked on a small neighboring country, it ended *really, really* embarrassingly for them.

But hey, maybe they want "Winter War: Part Deux"
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

Are you really not making the connections? Really? Look at the lyrics, look at what happened at Wal-Mart, it's pretty obvious. I mean, out of the entire song, it's not like I randomly chose lyrics to quote.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

Are you really not making the connections? Really? Look at the lyrics, look at what happened at Wal-Mart, it's pretty obvious. I mean, out of the entire song, it's not like I randomly chose lyrics to quote.

Color me confused, because I didn't see anything about cops, rioting, or race in the article re: Wal-Mart foodstamps purchases. The only lines that appear to be relevant are the second, third lines?

And I'm not exactly convinced that the LA Riots and an emptying of a Walmart food section during a system outage are because of the same thing. One was a reaction to systematic injustice that turned violent, the other was a system outage and non-existent business response to said outage that allowed people to abuse the system.

So yeah, I "Really" don't get the connection.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/16/us-usa-fiscal-idUSBRE98N11220131016

So impending doom has been postponed until January 15th.

Or at least, it will be if the House doesn't suddenly decide to change it's mind.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's probably postponed indefinitely, because most of the GOP is too profoundly aware of how fucking boned they would be if they let the tea party wrestle them into another shutdown showdown

but if they do anyway, THAT'S OK. It would be to their detriment.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, part of the deal is that the House and Senate have to resolve the budget; hopefully that will improve things. but yeah, doing it again means the crisis will happen closer to elections, and the voters might actually remember. it will be interesting to see how today's election turns out - since the republican is a tea-party favorite. we'll see if the risk of getting another tea-partier in the senate improved the turnout any.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd like to think the GOP won't do this again because it was such an unmitigated disaster for them, but that's actually honestly not how they see it. i mean the sane ones see it that way, but the Ted Cruzes and Mike Lees and their ilk think this was an almost-victory, and the only thing they did wrong was give up at the end.

they're going to do this again. the only question is, will Boehner and co let them get this far next time, since next year is an election year.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

Color me confused, because I didn't see anything about cops, rioting, or race in the article re: Wal-Mart foodstamps purchases. The only lines that appear to be relevant are the second, third lines?

And I'm not exactly convinced that the LA Riots and an emptying of a Walmart food section during a system outage are because of the same thing. One was a reaction to systematic injustice that turned violent, the other was a system outage and non-existent business response to said outage that allowed people to abuse the system.

So yeah, I "Really" don't get the connection.

Desperate people wanting the basic necessities, what's not to understand?

First off, you're connecting the wrong things.

The song isn't just about the LA riots, and I didn't quote the whole song. I linked for relevance in case people didn't know the quote, but the part I referenced is driven by exactly the same mentality which caused people to buy as much as they possibly can.

While the actions are most definitely different, I'm not talking about those, nor am I talking about the details of the motivations. I'm talking about how when presented with an opportunity the needy and desperate will take advantage of it as much as possible. That's what hasn't changed.

The fact that pay rates have stayed essentially flat over twenty years while the cost of food, clothing, utilities, etc. have gone up means that the poor now are even more poor than the poor twenty years ago were.

Last edited by Darqcyde on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
CTrees

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
You know, the a previous time Russia picked on a small neighboring country, it ended *really, really* embarrassingly for them.

But hey, maybe they want "Winter War: Part Deux"

I actually just got in a copy of A Frozen Hell this past Monday. Haven't gotten a chance to dive into it yet. The Winter War was a fascinating military disaster.

ShadowCell wrote:
i'd like to think the GOP won't do this again because it was such an unmitigated disaster for them, but that's actually honestly not how they see it. i mean the sane ones see it that way, but the Ted Cruzes and Mike Lees and their ilk think this was an almost-victory, and the only thing they did wrong was give up at the end.

The nation as a whole may view it as an unmitigated disaster for the GOP. When you just look at their base, the picture changes somewhat. I live in South Carolina, and work in a conservative industry. The primary talk was "why won't the Democrats just compromise already; they're asking the Republicans to compromise all the time." The more moderate voices are giving a lot of "it's both their faults." Just because the nationwide polls say the public thinks it's the GOP's fault, doesn't mean everyone does. I'm not saying I agree, just that perceptions are not so uniform as the media makes out.
CTrees

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And apparently it's over until 01/15/14 (02/07/14 for the debt ceiling)

I'm betting January 14, 2014 gets written down on a lot of calendars as a potential contract release deadline - there are a couple we're waiting on which should come early next year.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the *next* debt ceiling showdown, I think, won't be a showdown.

Because this bill contained language that basically says they have to pass a law (that Obama has to *not* veto) if they DON'T want to raise the debt ceiling, I think?
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 747, 748, 749 ... 825, 826, 827  Next
Page 748 of 827

Jump to: