welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 748, 749, 750 ... 815, 816, 817  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureka00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
Felgraf wrote:
You know, the a previous time Russia picked on a small neighboring country, it ended *really, really* embarrassingly for them.

But hey, maybe they want "Winter War: Part Deux"

I actually just got in a copy of A Frozen Hell this past Monday. Haven't gotten a chance to dive into it yet. The Winter War was a fascinating military disaster.

My husband's uncle had a really interesting documentary we watched on the Finland part in particular. I'll have to see if I can get the name of it.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.queerty.com/todd-kincannon-transgender-people-should-be-put-in-concentration-camps-20131017/

On Monday, the former executive director of the South Carolina GOP tweeted that he believed transgender people should be put in camps:

Todd Kincannon wrote:
.@papierhache There are people who respect transgender rights. And there are people who think you should all be put in a camp. That's me.

Todd Kincannon wrote:
Mental institutions will do just fine. RT @papierhache well, i should hope you would, trans concentration camp advocate @ToddKincannon

Todd Kincannon wrote:
.@jbu3 I have plenty of compassion for trannies. They should all be locked up in mental institutions and their care paid for by the state.

Todd Kincannon wrote:
I'm totally ok with gays and I celebrate female bisexuality as if it were the Mona Lisa of genital sports. But transsexuals are sick freaks.

Apparently this is the correct way to beg for attention when you're a South Carolina GOP.

Although I find it fucking HILARIOUS that he's apparently "ok with gays".
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An immature bigoted fuckwit who trolls on twitter is involved in the GOP?!?

*maximum levels of surprise* *sarcasm* *magic lunchbox*
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day people who think like that will be stared at in horror and their families will try desperately to get them to shut up. It makes me sad that today is not that day.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why the sensible people of the GOP make their own faction away from these morons.

Perhaps the problem lies with sensible.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they did. they left the party entirely, or got pushed out.

it's not really good for American democracy that one of our two choices of political party is so completely batshit insane that it cannot be trusted with power, but that's where we're at.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. I see. I've always found it weird that you guys have two choices, we always have at least 5.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kind of boggles my mind that the US is stuck with a 2 party system.

I mean, you'd think that at this point there'd be enough disenfranchised GOPers that there'd be a push for a Progressive-Conservative party or something.

You'd think there'd be space for that somewhere between the Democrats and the N̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶s̶o̶z̶i̶a̶l̶i̶s̶t̶i̶s̶c̶h̶e̶ ̶A̶m̶e̶r̶i̶k̶a̶n̶i̶s̶c̶h̶ ̶A̶r̶b̶e̶i̶t̶e̶r̶p̶a̶r̶t̶e̶i̶ Republican Party.

Of course, even the Democrats aren't really 'left', just secretly center-right compared to the Republican's off-the-charts right wingers.
Moor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always assumed it's because of the first past the post voting system, which encourages people to vote, say, "against Romney" as opposed to "for Obama", voting for Obama not because they like his policies best out of everyone, but because he was most likely to win of the people who weren't Romney.

So we're stuck with Party A and Party Not-A, and a handful of smaller parties that don't go anywhere because people who want Party B even more than Party A still vote for Part A so that Party Not-A doesn't win.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't have the wrong lizard getting in, after all.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus, at least on the national level as well as in certain states, a third party would have to have some very deep pockets to compete in elections. it's easier to simply attach yourself to one of the two existing parties, which already have the donors and infrastructure.

of course, the tea partiers very well could start their own third party...but then they would just act as a spoiler that benefits the democrats.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone sends me to a camp, there had better be some arts and crafts there. Just saying.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I wonder perhaps if Kincannon has confused transgender people with Mr. Potatohead dolls, or Picasso paintings, since he's talking about 'rearrangement.'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in honor of the international herald tribune being renamed the international new york times, the NYT has had links to old editorials - including this one from 1932. which sounds oddly familiar, except no one would admit they were a fascist, these days:
Quote:
May 22, 1932: Fascism for America

May 22, 1932 — The hour has struck for a fascist party to be born in the United States. In the face of the most critical financial situation in the history of the country, Washington presents the amazing spectacle of more special groups seeking to get their fingers in the national treasury than ever before. From every section and from every layer of our economic life, the embattled lobbies have descended upon the capital. Bills to appropriate millions for the aid of special classes or industries are tossed into the House of Representatives, at the moment when federal finances are strained to the breaking point. Congress has one plain duty, to balance the budget, and to refuse every subtle appeal for money that is not foreseen by that budget. In the cities, where authorities confess themselves unable to cope with the sinister enterprise arrayed against them; in state capitals and county towns, where special privilege is bought and sold; wherever patronage is distributed and crime protected, there is the rumble of indignation among householders, the anger and disgust of taxpayers, which presage the gathering of moral forces into overt movement.

Someone will give the signal. It may be a mechanic, coming out of his engine-room, wiping his hands upon oily waste, in despair at the insecurity of his home; it may be a veteran teacher — like Peter the Hermit preaching a crusade — shocked to find the holy sepulchre of our national liberty in the hands of vandals. It may be the clean youth and imagination of a Charles Lindbergh, calling upon men of goodwill to join him in a party of law and order. It may be the sagacity and experience of a Henry Ford, summoning men to match the organization of the underworld with a still more potent organization. In every part of the country men are waiting for the call, and when it is heard, there will be a roar of assent from a million throats. The elements are assembled for the formation of this kind of fascism in the United States, composed of householders, heads of families and taxpayers. The stage is set.

this strikes me as particular fitting, especially since i think ted cruz looks like mussolini. (it's that chin-up pose, mostly)
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Justice Party in 2012. Rocky Anderson got 0.03% of votes in the presidential election!

Just three powers of ten more votes and he would have had a real chance at it!

Their candidate for senate in Utah almost got a full percent of votes!

10/10 will vote again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 748, 749, 750 ... 815, 816, 817  Next
Page 749 of 817

Jump to: