welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 762, 763, 764 ... 815, 816, 817  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the board of the medical journal Annals of Internal Medicine:
Enough Is Enough: Stop Wasting Money on Vitamin and Mineral Supplements
An excerpt:
Quote:
The large body of accumulated evidence has important public health and clinical implications. Evidence is sufficient to advise against routine supplementation, and we should translate null and negative findings into action. The message is simple: Most supplements do not prevent chronic disease or death, their use is not justified, and they should be avoided. This message is especially true for the general population with no clear evidence of micronutrient deficiencies, who represent most supplement users in the United States and in other countries (9).

The evidence also has implications for research. Antioxidants, folic acid, and B vitamins are harmful or ineffective for chronic disease prevention, and further large prevention trials are no longer justified. Vitamin D supplementation, however, is an open area of investigation, particularly in deficient persons. Clinical trials have been equivocal and sometimes contradictory. For example, supplemental vitamin D, which might prevent falls in older persons, reduced the risk for falls in a few trials, had no effect in most trials, and increased falls in 1 trial. Although future studies are needed to clarify the appropriate use of vitamin D supplementation, current widespread use is not based on solid evidence that benefits outweigh harms (10).

With respect to multivitamins, the studies published in this issue and previous trials indicate no substantial health benefit. This evidence, combined with biological considerations, suggests that any effect, either beneficial or harmful, is probably small. As we learned from voluminous trial data on vitamin E, however, clinical trials are not well-suited to identify very small effects, and future trials of multivitamins for chronic disease prevention in well-nourished populations are likely to be futile.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The statue of Satan proposed for putting on the steps of the
Oaklahoma state courthouse now has a finalized design.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/devil-worship-group-unveils-satanic-statue-design-oklahoma-state-capitol-article-1.1568893

I love that it has happy children staring adoringly up, and that passersby can sit on Satan's lap (And unlike that other guy, you could sit there for free at any time of year.)

I so hope this is allowed to go up, and that the other proposed monuments are allowed as well. Would love for this to be a precedent.

I'm also thinking that if the people who list Jedi as their religion were to get involved, there could be a totally awesome statue of Darth Vader nearby.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripy, that's Sith.

Jedi would put up a statue of... I dunno, some dead white human guy Jedi.

As opposed to, I guess, the dead white human guy Sith that Darth Vader is.

But y'know what we need? A statue of St. Jude. We've got a non-denominational patron saint of the 'net, and not one statue of her yet.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's Sith, but I've not heard of a movement for people labeling themselves as Sith. Really I just want a giant Vader staring down at the lawyers as they go in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the atheists who will feel threatened by the presence of The Dark Lord of the Sith. After all, he finds their lack of faith... disturbing.
Echo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But {SPOILERS} Darth Vader totally came back to the Jedi side at the end, when he killed the Emperor. I wouldn't entirely write off the chance of him being considered statue-worthy by the Jedi, even after all the murder and oppression and so on...

Anyway, yes, I hope they put all the statues proposed up. Diversity is good to see in public art.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see the 10 Commandments, a statue of Satan, Darth Vader, and the FSM all lined up along the entrance. Maybe Eris with her golden apple. A giant Torah and Koran. And a massive dollar bill.

All lined up with people saying, "WTF is this?"

I bet nothing happens, that all of the requests are denied for some flimsy procedural reason. But I would like to see it.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it says they've placed a moritorium on considering requests. and lest we forget that oklahomans apparently no longer have any sense of humor:
Quote:
“I think you’ve got to remember where you are. This is Oklahoma, the middle of the heartland,” said Rep. Don Armes, R-Faxon. “I think we need to be tolerant of people who think different than us, but this is Oklahoma, and that’s not going to fly here.”

which is unfortunate. so far they have satan, the FSM and the hindu monkey god with applications in. it could be the start of a theme park!
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, come on, guys, this is Oklahoma, we're not gonna be that tolerant.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-08/fort-lee-bridge-closing-scandal-shatters-chris-christies-nice-guy-image-imperils-his-presidential-campaign

Quote:
“Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee,” Bridget Anne Kelly, one of Christie’s deputies, wrote to David Wildstein, a top Christie appointee at the Port Authority, on Aug. 14. “Got it,” was his reply. (You can view all the e-mails here.) What resulted was a week of traffic jams that held up emergency vehicles, buses filled with school children, and thousands of innocent commuters.

It gets worse. Somebody—the name is redacted, leaving it open to guessing—responded to the resulting mess with what is, shall we say, unpresidential glee:

“Is it wrong that I’m smiling,” the recipient of the text message responded to Wildstein. The person’s identity is not clear because the documents are partially redacted for unknown reasons.

“No,” Wildstein wrote in response.

“I feel badly about the kids,” the person replied to Wildstein. “I guess.”

“They are the children of Buono voters,” Wildstein wrote.

Until today, Christie had treated the bridge-closing scandal as a joke. Not anymore. As the Record puts it:

“The documents obtained by The Record raise serious doubts about months of claims by the Christie administration that the September closures of local access lanes to the George Washington Bridge were part of a traffic study initiated solely by the Port Authority. Instead, they show that one of the governor’s top aides was deeply involved in the decision to choke off the borough’s access to the bridge, and they provide the strongest indication yet that it was part of a politically motivated vendetta—a notion that Christie has publicly denied.”

Long story short, Christie, or at least his aides, had something to do with getting a bridge closed to purposely fuck up traffic as revenge for voting democrat.

This being the guy who was trying to run as bipartisan.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-08/fort-lee-bridge-closing-scandal-shatters-chris-christies-nice-guy-image-imperils-his-presidential-campaign

Quote:
“Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee,” Bridget Anne Kelly, one of Christie’s deputies, wrote to David Wildstein, a top Christie appointee at the Port Authority, on Aug. 14. “Got it,” was his reply. (You can view all the e-mails here.) What resulted was a week of traffic jams that held up emergency vehicles, buses filled with school children, and thousands of innocent commuters.

It gets worse. Somebody—the name is redacted, leaving it open to guessing—responded to the resulting mess with what is, shall we say, unpresidential glee:

“Is it wrong that I’m smiling,” the recipient of the text message responded to Wildstein. The person’s identity is not clear because the documents are partially redacted for unknown reasons.

Until today, Christie had treated the bridge-closing scandal as a joke. Not anymore. As the Record puts it:

“The documents obtained by The Record raise serious doubts about months of claims by the Christie administration that the September closures of local access lanes to the George Washington Bridge were part of a traffic study initiated solely by the Port Authority. Instead, they show that one of the governor’s top aides was deeply involved in the decision to choke off the borough’s access to the bridge, and they provide the strongest indication yet that it was part of a politically motivated vendetta—a notion that Christie has publicly denied.”

Long story short, Christie, or at least his aides, had something to do with getting a bridge closed to purposely fuck up traffic as revenge for voting democrat.

Not even *voting* democrat. As revenge for their democratic mayor *not endorsing Christie*.

It's even MORE petty.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:

Quote:

Not even *voting* democrat. As revenge for their democratic mayor *not endorsing Christie*.

It's even MORE petty.

Well, I hope he's happy. The scandal just got 2 articles, the cover, and the headline in The Times.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to say nothing of coverage in both the daily show and the colbert report.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The arranged traffic problems may well have cost one woman her life.

Link.

Quote:
FORT LEE – Emergency responders were delayed in attending to four medical situations – including one in which a 91-year-old woman lay unconscious – due to traffic gridlock caused by unannounced closures of access lanes to the George Washington Bridge, according to the head of the borough’s EMS department.

The woman later died, borough records show.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused, why aren't the police out there full force to end the traffic gridlock? Or is it gone already?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 762, 763, 764 ... 815, 816, 817  Next
Page 763 of 817

Jump to: