welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 763, 764, 765 ... 822, 823, 824  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felgraf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
I'm confused, why aren't the police out there full force to end the traffic gridlock? Or is it gone already?

This was something that happened a while ago. Basically, 3 of 4 lanes were closed for 4 days over what was, at first, claimed to be a "Traffic study" (Which no one could produce. Or show paperwork for. Or show any evidence that it, in fact, happened at all) which caused major traffic snarls through a fairly strong democratic area.

It turns out that it was, in fact, malicious retaliation by members of Christie's staff. Including one whose been his best friend for ~40 years. He, of course, claims no knowledge of this whatsoever.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give an impression of how big a deal it is, it's the busiest vehicle bridge in the entire world. 102 million cars cross it annually, which is roughly three times the population of Canada. They said as many as 600 cars were stalled on the bridge at points. Because Bridget Kelly and Wildstein wanted to punish the mayor over politics.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How horrible. I hope they have enough proof to give that guy a nice big fine. Preferably in 4 or more digits.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stalled traffic prevented kids from getting to school and ambulances/EMTs from getting to their destinations.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
How horrible. I hope they have enough proof to give that guy a nice big fine. Preferably in 4 or more digits.

It's highly possible they may be looking at waaaaayyyy more than a fine for this.

I mean, you can easily make the argument that this could, you know. Kind of fall under terrorism statutes. (Which would amuse the hell out of me, I admit.). 'Cause if you'd done it with a bomb threat (without an actual bomb) for the same reasons? Oh hell yes that would fall under those laws.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
To give an impression of how big a deal it is, it's the busiest vehicle bridge in the entire world. 102 million cars cross it annually, which is roughly three times the population of Canada.

Also roughly a third of the US population.

And that brings us to this lovely, tangential visual aid.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Yinello wrote:

It's highly possible they may be looking at waaaaayyyy more than a fine for this.

I mean, you can easily make the argument that this could, you know. Kind of fall under terrorism statutes. (Which would amuse the hell out of me, I admit.). 'Cause if you'd done it with a bomb threat (without an actual bomb) for the same reasons? Oh hell yes that would fall under those laws.

news this morning was saying that a number of businessmen are considering filing a class-action suit, for causing them business losses.

so yeah, these guys are potentially looking at a whole lot of trouble. all of which they richly deserve, because this has to be a leading contender for 'stupidest political act in 2013'. and that is a seriously hot field, these days.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But but but OBAMACARE!
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
But but but OBAMACARE!

but but but...benghazi!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
But but but OBAMACARE!

but but but...benghazi!

You jest, but there was actually a fox news article about Benghazi with relation to the bridge thing.

Yes. Really.
-Ed, from Digger
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was, "more people have been fired over bridgegate than were fired over Benghazi." Part of the media machine that causes the same talking points (almost word for word) to come out of a half dozen mouths at the same time.

It's actually not a bad play, if your goal is to be as crassly partisan as possible (and, let's face it, that's every politician). It minimizes the problem Christie's deputy chief of staff caused by comparing it to a situation in which Americans died (which is actually an appeal to emotion, and as everyone on the internet knows, that's a fallacy) and makes it look like Christie handled it better than Obama handled [insert favorite scandal here]. Ergo, Christie is actually awesome, because look how well he handled this bad situation!

Of course, the comparison is irrational because the situations are more different than they are alike (which is necessary for a good analogy), but then we're not good at thinking rationally
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean an unannounced "traffic study" is not the same as a militant assault on an embassy?
Snorri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Dogen wrote:
To give an impression of how big a deal it is, it's the busiest vehicle bridge in the entire world. 102 million cars cross it annually, which is roughly three times the population of Canada.

Also roughly a third of the US population.

And that brings us to this lovely, tangential visual aid.

I love that chart.

Also I had no idea how busy that bridge was. I figured it was a fairly minor thing that was mostly a big deal because of it being a fucking stupid thing to do and also Christie.

Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's so massively busy that you'd have to be extremely myopic in your desire to punish Fort Lee to think you could shut it down to a single lane without basically everyone in the world paying attention. Which I assume was not Bridget Kelly's plan when she suggested "traffic."

As another comparison, 102,000,000 is like every single person in the New York metropolitan area crossing the Hudson river 5 times a day.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new independent report says the NSA's bulk data collection programs are pretty much worthless and don't add anything that traditional methods can't provide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 763, 764, 765 ... 822, 823, 824  Next
Page 764 of 824

Jump to: